Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD giving me a bad head thingy

• 26-12-2000 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

lo lads

I just put my pc in a new case, its the same system, same setup, just a diff case. When Elpres gave me Death Race 2000 on DVD. I went to play it I got an error saying that the dvd was unreadable, so I tryed to play some other DVD's. They all came up with the same error. the only thing that I done with the DVD drive was move it to the new case. I use power dvd 3 player. has anyone ever see this error. do you know how to fix this?

please help.......I like my dvd's

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

sounds like the drive is not up to scratch . hows it working with other dvd's ( ones of mags ) or hows it working with normal cd's ?

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

it works fine with every day cds and mag dvds its when i go to look at the movie the the error happens, i thing there's something rong with my reg......hope its not that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dirk diggler

hello all,
    i recommend formating your drive and starting from scratch.if you have an AMD, you may bin that.
    i hope i was of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

It's hard to imagine how you could get "good head thingy" from a DVD disc. Maybe a pair of region 6's held... ahem..

More things to try:
    1. Try a different dvd playback thing. (version 3 did you say? I want, gimme url smile.gif

2. I presume dvd drives use two lasers (or one laser and seperate lenses) so it's backwards compatible with cd-roms. Therefore seeing as the only thing that's been changed is the drive was physically moved and therefore probably damaged.

3. Are you using the same screen res/colours/refresh rate? Dunno if that'll do anything but it's one that impresses customers no end. smile.gif

4. DVD movies use dvd higher transfer rate. You using the same ide cable? Is it udma 66?

5. Get a hardware decoder. Why? Cos it's better quality and cos I'm getting one and I'm cool.

So to summarise.
    Try different dvd s/w decoder.
    Check the cable.
    Try a different dvd drive.
    Get a h/w decoder.

So you got a new case? What happened to the old one? Did that mofo fan make it fly away wink.gif I presume your putting a jet engine into the front of this one? wink.gif

P.S Dirk? Do you work on a support desk? I hear AoL are hiring.

P.P.S AMD ROOOLZ JOO!!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 03-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I too want a URL for power dvd 3... I'm using 2.55 at the moment... came with my drive.

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

here skutty I was messing around with power DVD and I opened the system diagnostic and it gave this warning "Your motherboard is using an ALi, SiS or VIA series of chipset. We strongly recommend you to install the IDE or bus master driver that comes with your motherboard and enable the DMA mode for accessing your DVD-ROM. Not enabling DMA mode or using an improper IDE driver might either degrade the performance of PowerDVD or even prevent PowerDVD from properly executing. For more information about the IDE driver, please visit the web site of your motherboard vendor."

just thought that *might* be a little help to you ....
    never know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

hay hay

I back......well sort of, i'm here in body (at the comp) but not realy in mind (damn drugs, and not the one we all know and love)

any who....... i got the player working again by reinstalling win2k, it was the 4 in 1 drivers that came out, they have a new ide bus master driver that dont quite work. I seamd to think that one of the hard drives in my raid arry was the dvd and was messing up from there. I dont think ppl should use these drivers untill a fix comes out for them. the 4.25 work grand i haven't had any probs with them. dirk dont get me started please i'm very sick for the past two weeks and realy dont want to fight. amp my boy my power dvd 3 player is dare i say it...... a *warez* (oooohhhh bad, evel, wrong) smile.gif
    if your on irc some time i can give it to you. oj what board do you have? if its a athlon board like the kt7 raid you'll need the 4 in 1 drivers or you wont get the best proformance out of the board.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, he found out the problem was he had installed the new VIA 4.26 4-in-1 drivers, which messed up the ide controllers. Theres always something that changes... He reinstalled and put back on the 4.25 and all is well. (Well, relatively speaking, he is in bed sick) btw, good point dirk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yeah I have a AMD .. dono which one of those km crap it is
    bt its a 800mhz
    mine seems to work pritty grand but I do sometimes notice the picture ins't the best .. bit like sky digital really
    it could just be me sitting too close to the screen
    ie. roughly bout a foot or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

just buy an actual dvd player ! computer screens are **** for DVD

• Advertisement
Advertisement