Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The high cost of metered dialup

Options
  • 13-02-2002 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

In an attempt to help quantify the damage metered dialup access does, I would like to take a poll. Please take this poll seriously. Don't just click an answer; go home, look at your last six phone bills, and separate out the itemized "internet calls", and average them. If we can actually quantify our own experience, this may help us achieve all of our goals. This poll is for 56K modems as well as ISDN.

What is your average monthly cost for dialup 56K internet access?

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE VALUES ARE IN EUROS AND YOU WILL HAVE TO CONVERT SOME OF YOUR BILLS FROM POUNDS.

1. Less than €15
    2. €16-€30
    3. €31-€45
    4. €46-€60
    5. €61-€75
    6. €76-€90
    7. €91-€105
    8. €106-€120
    9. €121 or more
    10. I don't pay for my own access because someone else does.

What is your average monthly cost for dialup 56K internet access? 67 votes

Less than €15
    0% 0 votes
    €16-€30
    2% 2 votes
    €31-€45
    8% 6 votes
    €46-€60
    8% 6 votes
    €61-€75
    11% 8 votes
    €76-€90
    11% 8 votes
    €91-€105
    4% 3 votes
    €106-€120
    10% 7 votes
    €121 or more
    8% 6 votes
    I don't pay for my own access because someone else does.
    31% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

LOL your prices are far too cheep I spend way more that €121 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

That's fine, then click "€121 or more". You may indeed have a point. I haven't totted up my own bills yet. We can take a second poll for more precision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

< 15, because I split the cost of ESAT NoLimits with my flatmate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This poll is for ordinary modems; people with ISDN should not answer, as the pricing is different, is it not? (If I am mistaken there let me know.)

Don't think so Yoda. The ISP's are (much) the same, and I believe the call costs are the same. The only differences as far as I can see are that there is a dedicated discount structure, with minimal savings (never more than 5 or 6 squids); and that you can bundle two channels, which is the equivalent of making two calls at the same time. However, ISDN users would for the most part use the service more heavily -- your pricing range would be far too low.

Good idea though, well done.

adam

Thanks for that information, Adam. I've noted that the poll is for both ISDN and 56K. If we have to do a second poll for a majority above €121, then we can make a distinction there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I put myself down in the 106 - 120 bracket. Our average bi-monthly phone bill is in the region of ir£200, take away £50 for everday calls and your left with £150 or more I spend on the internet every two months :mad:

Being unemployed doesnt help my ability to pay the phone bill and only makes me hate eirscum all the more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I did click more that €121 all I ment is I would love for my bill to be around €121 thats less that 100 quid a month.
    But there is loads of people on the boards who spend a lot more time and money online.
    Finding out how much is usefull

It was a no-brainer for me, no research required. I doubt my phone bill has been below IEP£150 in the last 2-3 years. The average is about IEP£200.

adam

Actually, now I come to think of it, there is the phone call factor which might skew your results Yoda. In my case, it's not relevant because I hardly use my phone, but it might be an idea if you were to clarify whether you mean phone bills or dialup costs. Actual dialup costs would be harder to calculate, I would imagine.

adam

Dahamsta a dit
    Actually, now I come to think of it, there is the phone call factor which might skew your results Yoda. In my case, it's not relevant because I hardly use my phone, but it might be an idea if you were to clarify whether you mean phone bills or dialup costs. Actual dialup costs would be harder to calculate, I would imagine.

I mean dialup costs, not phone bills. That's why I suggested that people go home and look. My bimonthly phone bill is itemized and clearly shows internet calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I dont use it often at home, i mostly use it at work through a fast LAN so thats better still... Anyway i used to spend about £200 a month way back when and that i paid myself... that was a crazy ammount of time and money!

Dúirt Saruman
    I dont use it often at home, i mostly use it at work through a fast LAN so thats better still... Anyway i used to spend about £200 a month way back when and that i paid myself... that was a crazy ammount of time and money!

Most people in Ireland don't have a fast LAN at work, of course, which is yet another reason we need to concentrate on unmetered access in the short term. It's worth considering the huge number of internet cafés and terminals in the public libraries which all experience heavy use -- because dialup is too expensive at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I didnt vote in the poll since i dont pay for calls.

I used to pay somewhere in the region of 200 IEP per month on internet calls. Did that for a few years till SNL came along and that brought it down to 20 per month :)
    Now its dsl and exhorbitant monthly charges, but no phone call charges:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Im in the €76-€90 bracket, when i take into account €20.99 for my no limits account.. rest is peak time net access :rolleyes:

Advertisement