Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Outrage!!!

Options
  • 13-02-2002 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

'An Outrage' is how you might refer to it if you didn't like it.
    I'm talking of course about 'The Slate' the new magazine that's got everyone talking.
    This Thursday Night on 'Thursday Challenge' we talk exclusively to the Editor of 'The Slate'.
    If you've any questions you'd like asked just post them here and we'll do the rest!!

Hear it last...on 'Thursday Challenge', Thursday from 8 to 9 on Phantom FM!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

I gots a question for the editor, keefer. Ask him:

"Do you think such a bigoted, racist and hurtful publication could emerge from any of the country's third-level institutions or is it a feat only achievable by Trrrrrinideee."

I know you'll tone it down so it doesn't offend in the way it's supposed to. you're decent y'see.

Also, ask him bout the protest that was staged in UCD. I wanna know the thought process behind THAT one.

cya now

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

its not reacist;it's just that everyone is so afraid of not being politically correct.
    i say the hell with it all.

oh no i might offend a fat person by calling them fat!

UCD has no right to BAN literature,as long as the literature doesnt invoke a sincere,illogical hatred of anyone in specific.
    Sure UCD...yeah....throwing bircks at figures opf authority;so what?
    MOAN;
    being white is dire;people call them honky's with no ability to dance (TRUE)
    thank god im black
    being black is groovy;**** isnt an offensive term;unless intended so.i just prefer the use of the word jiver;i'm a jiver,but i'm also whatever anyone calls me.

shove your politically correct ways

VIVA THE SLATE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Any time it's published anything to do with race it's always been very tongue in cheek. It's not racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

not racist at all. They dont give a hoot what hootin race you are. They just think a lot a folk are hooters and a lot more folk let hooters walk all over them and those folk cant make any decent hooting desicions about what the hoot they're doin with life and so outraging a lot of people who give a hoot about theirs but cant hack it, so indicating that everyone has a hootin weakness and the slate jam a hootin Ice pick up all of ours, right where it hootin hurts, yet making us laugh until we can't hoot any more.

get the hootin point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

The Slate is a breath of fresh air. How many other mags out there will tell you if a certain band or Dj or whatever is s hite, just as you suspected all along. In Hot Press or the Event Guide, everything is great, every gig is a must see, every band is superb, what survivors they are, what a lovely venue, what a great bunch of guys, what a fantastic new album, what a classy single, what a wonderful evening you will have, what fun, you'll have a great night, tickets are only this much etc.. And if it's an MCD related gig, all the more reason to check out this wonderful new band and their fantastic new album at such rock bottom ticket prices.

Long live The Slate! This press release drivel country needs more like them, even if they do tread on people's toes. Freedom of speech huh?

• Advertisement

Woa-hoa-hoa now lads and lassies. I appreciate that I must come across as a right stuffy individual but let's not jump to conclusions. I should have been more specific in my criticisms.

The article, "Blacks in the Jacks", in the most recent issue, just wasn't funny. Seriously!!! And when I got to the part about a 'full anal flossing' I could feel my blood temperature rise ever so discretely. But then came the ad:

"Buy or rent a black for your jacks. Whole families available at discount prices. Fresh out of their cargo containers - only the strongest have survived..."

How the fupp can people honestly think that this is okay? It gives the impression that pub-goers right across the board have absolutely zero respect for these people. That's the worse bit - due to lack of by-lines and thus any notion of personal accountability for the articles, there is a sense of a communal voice or some such - something which is far from desirable when that voice suggests that these "blacks in the jacks" are unquestionably inferior and subservient.

I think it's fine if people want to schtick it to the man - I definitely don’t think censorship is always the answer - but I think it shows great cowardice when these folk publish these articles and then toddle off and hide in the shadows. I say if you're gonna make such remarks then let us see a name - and I don't mean some dodgy nom-de-plume. (noddy buckley I'm talkin a you)

But well I guess we'll all just have to find out what the editor of the said Slate has to say for himself when he's interviewed on Thursday Challenge at 8.

......and yes I appreciate the irony of I myself using a pseudonym for the purpose of posting on these boards. But then again I'm not planning to make libellous comments...........well it's early days yet!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

i think yiz all're just taking a go at the slate cos the editor's black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Roxy: if you have a problem with The Slate's bigotry, why not sue the editor? I'm sure they have €0 assets.

The protest in UCD was great, you're just all bitter you weren't there.

Here's a question for them: "Why were they so boring when they took over Belfield FM?"

And here's a lovely photo:

slate.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 keefer

Hey the guy on the left (in the photograph above) is enjoying it all a little too much (If you see what I mean)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭manofspeed

It's a pity Roxy that you don't have the analyitical capacity to read subtext into the Slate article. Do the words satire meaning anything to you? I really can't believe anyone could the miss the point so badly.... and then accuse them of being racist. The whole point was to highlight the inherent racism in pubs' attitudes towards their treatment of immigrants. And why stop there? Everywhere you go you now has low-wage asians collecting glasses, africans in the jacks, and good-old Dubs running the show behind the bar. I'm phucking sick of it.

'Blacks in the Jacks' is a very contentious issue, an issue that no mainstream press will go near with a very long stick. So well done to the Slate for taking on slap-on-the-back smug Dublin, and not towing the official line which the mainstream press does so damn pathetically - as Brautigan pointed out.

i dont like anyone in the jacks.
    they piss me off.

Do the words satire meaning anything to you?

Yes. Yes they do.

I totally take your point Manofspeed but I still think that the blacks in the jacks article is sanctimonious and unnecessarily disrespectful.

"Make sure you get full blacks value for your euro"

Tell me how could anyone miss the point on this one.
    It's dispicable.

I realise the article was principally an attack on the bar-owners. But surely if they cared about raising such a contentious issue then they wouldn't implicitly join the bar-owners at their game by writing about these people in such a damned degrading way. You may say that that's just their style but well their just shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

didnt read the article myself, but it sounds pretty funny... i'm positive it was not intended to insult anyone or to encourage any kind of prejudice or rascism... i love the slate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by roxy
    Do the words satire meaning anything to you?
    Yes. Yes they do.

Make sure you get full blacks value for your euro"

Tell me how could anyone miss the point on this one.
    It's dispicable.

apparently satire *doesn't* mean anything to you what with the contradiction there. they're not just criticising the way the pub owners treat these people by shoving them down in the toilets and (sometimes) not even paying them wages (expecting them to make their living on their tips), but also the way most dublin pub goers act around them. make some small talk about how much they love hip hop (i've seen it happen, it's hilarious) pop in 2 euro and feel good for the rest of the night.

it's great that whenever (usually satire) brings up thorny issues that *nobody* dares discuss, alot of usually decent caring 'liberal' people erupt in outrage. it solves *so* many problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

oh, i heard there was an interview with the editor of the slate on ... phantom, right? did anyone listen? what was said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Eh, I know the Slate is cutting and irreverent (sometimes) but people are overusing the word 'satire'. The Blacks in the Jacks article was crass and offensive and hilarious while making a decent point but if it's satire, it's not great satire. Something like the Onion (or *ahem* the Evil Gerald) is closer to good satire. Nevertheless, it's got people arguing so the job's been done.

Still, I just love the idea of some club owner like fúckface Reynolds having to keep picking up copies of The Slate in his sh1tty clubs. Hehehehehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by roxy
    I gots a question for the editor, keefer. Ask him:

"Do you think such a bigoted, racist and hurtful publication could emerge from any of the country's third-level institutions or is it a feat only achievable by Trrrrrinideee."

I know you'll tone it down so it doesn't offend in the way it's supposed to. you're decent y'see.

Also, ask him bout the protest that was staged in UCD. I wanna know the thought process behind THAT one.

cya now
    ;)

hmm where to start, I know these so called 'racists' and I can assure you they are not racist. I suppose what they do reminds me a lot of South Park, rock the boat and see what falls out.

As for their "Blacks in the Jacks" satire we should be asking why these guys may have to work in toilets in the first place instead of wasting our time arguing over whether the story is tasteful or not.

o sleep,
    'This is Spinal Tap' is satire.
    'The Onion', as Dadakopf pointed out, is satire.
    They're both hilarious and well-loved.

'Blacks in the Jacks' may well be an attempt to be satirical but it sure as hell lacks the skill that the above two have. It lacks the same conviction. It seems like it's written by a bunch of fence-sitters.

i think the whole "having someone there to dry your hands" is -no entreprenurial- but a bloody nuisance.

people are too bloody sensitive to anything regarding any form of difference;
    "we're all the same"
    bullspit.

but,colour isn't a division;but ignorance is.
    stop being so bloody "politically correct".
    does anyone actually like the whole "blacks in the jacks "thing;not the article but the phenomenon,as it were...
    well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

I agree with Gar - it's a completely ridiculous phenomenon. I mean... who honestly wants to have a man (and I don't care where they come from, or what colour they are) dab your hands for you, or hand you crappy sachets, or whatever, on your way out of the toilets. I think it's an incredibly patronising, embarassing load of crap. I can wash my own hands, thank you very much. I don't see how in any way it contributes towards improving anything. A friend of mine suggested that these guys are there mainly to act as "toliet bouncers"... preventing fights, or helping out people in messy conditions, or whatever - if that's their real purpose then I have no problem with it... but could we please leave out the whole demeaning hand washing aspect of it? It's a stupid, misdirected attempt to make certain establishments seem more 'upmarket' and I think it's right that we should be questioning it before people become used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They must make a feckin' fortune in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

i think its grand and dandy.
    i unfortunately didn't read the article but i'm talking about the people in the toilets with lots of smelly stuff. well sometimes. i don't like it when they force a paper towel in ur hands to dry em...cuz i'm usually broke and can't give em money, and then its just awkward, and i suppose someone sitting in the corner of the jacks watchin you put on your make up is a bit stiffling, but hey, i can get over it. i was very gratful valentines night when i was tryin ti impress a boy and i was sufferin with some serious b o and there they were in the bog with some lovely fragrances and i was set. great stuff.

from their point of view, if they choose to do it, i don't see the problem. almost all of us, some point in our lives have what some may call a degrading job. myself, i get it quite a lot: ppl say to me "dont u think u could do more with your life, get a "PROPER" job?" and i say, "what, in an office, 9-5, getting a monthly pay check, earning probably a small percentage of what i earn now and dreading each monotonous day?" and they nod. i think theyre jealous. i make on average 30-40 euro an hour being just as equally entertained as i am entertaining, possibly more so.

hold on, i think i digressed slightly, sorry.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I don't wash my hands when I come out of the jax so it don't bother me too much...

Does anyone know anywhere that still has copies of the slate around the city centre at the mo?

tom i'll bring one or two to the sidewalk tomorrow.
    you bring some gigsmart cds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

you can pick up the slate in a variety of locations including tower records, carbon records, usit, and places where large groups of young people go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 keefer

A Bit of the slate fell off my roof last night...does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

TO Roxy and people who agree with roxy:

WHITES CAN SLAG BLACKS
    BLACKS CAN SLAG WHITES
    WHITES CAN SLAG WHITES
    BLACKS CAN SLAG BLACKS.

The fact that you cry racist as soon as you see this means that RACE is a big big issue for you.

but, no one cares anymore what colour you are, if you cant make light of other peoples differences and they of yours by this stage in human evolution, the world is screwed.

racism, is the dumbest for of stupidity, i feel sorry for racist, they will never have full and happy lives because, if they cant see past colour, they're probably mental in other ways too. but people who are over politicaly correct p i s s me off almost as much.

relax and get on with life.

ONE LOVE:mad:

ferdi

from now on you can be my voice box;

thats exactl;y what i'm jiving at.

there is no way to improve upon that statement.

what do you think,roxy?

• Advertisement

I agree in part Ferdi: I agree about the getting on with life thing. Definitely. I had done just that before my name came up again in this thread. But you don't have a clue about me as a person so you can't psychoanalyse me and say that "race is obviously a big thing for me". Firstly it's not accurate and secondly it's very patronising and it's just a fairly stupid generalisation. I am as entitled to beliefs as anyone else and I don't feel obliged to justify them any further - I've said what I want to say earlier on in the thread.

I will give say one thing and you can dissect it and tear it to bits all you like: at the moment, I and the 30 odd people in my class are being shown how to be good, professional, responsible journalists. God knows the world needs as many of them as it can get. The importance of self-censorship comes up again and again and maybe it's put a slant on how I read that article.

The bottom line (for me) is I didn't like it and I said I didn't like it. I don't care who disagrees with me. I never launched a personal attack on any one did and didn't try to psychoanalyse them. There's no right or wrong.

Listen, I'm not majorly right-wing or anything. I just didn't like that article. It's really simple. It's pretty funny that you keep telling me to get on with my life! Listen let's be friends. ! peace

Advertisement