Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modems

• 03-01-2001 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a good external or internal hardware modem. Anyone got any suggestions?
    Im also looking to get some ram and a new hard drive and id like to get it all from the same place, any ideas?
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The general feeling is that Pace are the best only they went out of business. 3com still do h/w modems afaik but their a bit more expensive and harder to get.

Depends really on what's important to you. If your aim is to become a l33t hpb then lag and ping are important. Well maybe not cos all the l33t players seem to have moved to isdn these days.

hmmm it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day the quality of your line will have a much greater impact than the slight differences between brands of modem.

Hth!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

well seeing as how the quality of my line is unlikely to change for the next 10,000 years (latest eircon estimate), what should i get? any oul external modem?
    I have a POS winmodem atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I can supply all these, I should be able to get you an internal hardware modem, failing that an external modem will be just as fast, though slightly more expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Although the Pace 56k is not onsale anymore the next best thing is the Diamond Supra 56e Modems, get it external. There about £80 but could be less, those modems offer pings similiar to a Pace and beat 3coms's gaming performance.

Gonzo
    http://www.gonzonet.buyandsell.ie

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

and external modems are said to be just s 'little' bit slower than internal modems
    but you should only notice this when if you play a few fps games were ping is all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Gerry, you're a whore

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I might have a Pace 56K lying around somewheres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

hang on a sec, External modems give better pings than internal one, about 10 -30 ms!
    Its because of the architecture design of legacy systems, serial ports have only one device connected at a time, PCI is a bus, not a port (AGP is a port also). An awful lot of the lag and latency is caused by the modems internal design structure aswell, they needn't be so slow, but other factors maintain that it must be so.
    AWW sh1t, just get an external one, never go near USB ones and you will know what it feels like to frag ontime, everytime

SyxPak

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Support Your Local Gunfighter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

us robotics make the best modems in my opionion

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Get a rockwell hardware modem, a mate has one and they are pretty damned stable with great download rates, with regard to playing games, it really depends on what ISP you are on, but A ping of between 100-150 would not be a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

US robotics have made internal hardware modems, not any more tho. All their internal modems are winmodems, in fact I think they invented the winmodem. As for rockwell hardware modems, thats what i supply. Like slaaaaaanesh said, it can get a stable ping somewhere in between 100 and 150. I used to get a 115-120 ping, for a brief while when eircom was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

Get a: Diamond SupraExpress 56e Pro. It cost me 75 quid in compustore (25 quid of that was probably for walking on their carpets and looking out their big windows wink.gif)

Recomended by PCGamer, so i got it. My ping in on-line games went from around 250 to 150. My download speed went from 2-3kb/sec to 5-7 kb/sec

Also, if its online games u use it for, try a number of different ISP's. IOL No-Limits has gotten very bad lately.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Advertisement