Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyranosaurus Rex debate!

• 12-11-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

OK here is a question and a valid one. I don't have an answer and im swayed both ways as to the answer... Its fun though when you think about it and if you saw any of the Documentaries on Discovery about this then you will be as informed as I am.

Btw if there are any Palaeontologists or anyone who thinks they know what they are talking about with Dinosaurs I don't want the typical answer their profession dishes out because its what's generally accepted... if you state and opinion I want to know why and also what makes you think the other one is wrong.

So was T-Rex the largest or at least one of the largest known predators in the history of the earth? They lived near the end of the Cretaceous period 65 million years ago so what do you think? Most people see them that way.. of course they are huge with big teeth etc.. they have to be predators... OR do they?

Lets look at some obvious facts! Their tiny little forelimbs for one! All biped Predators of that era had larger forelimbs for grappling with prey, even predators as big or bigger than the T-Rex like Spinosaurus (the one in Jurassic Park 3!). Secondly like in the Giraffe jumping thread.. what happens when T-rex is running down its prey and oops it trips and falls.. it would not only do serious damage to itself considering its size.. but with no forelimbs it would be a difficult task to get up! Does not seem like even if they were predators that they could be successful considering this.. they lived for millions of years so they were obviously successful. And the one I find the most interesting is their teeth, they had the largest teeth I think known to exist. The animals that have the largest and sharpest teeth these days are scavengers like Hyenas and so on.. also like Hyenas and vultures and other scavengers... the T-Rex looks menacing.. its huge, huge teeth, big snout probably even had bright colour pigmentation on the face like a vulture!! what better way to scare predators away from a kill and steal it! And also its sense of smell.. it had one of the best sensory systems for smell.. like most scavengers who need to detect dead or dying animals over long distances.. also its eyesight is supposedly bad.. completely unlike any predator today...

Maybe its a mixture of both... an opportunist like the Hyena.. scavenges but when it has the opportunity it becomes a predator!

Lets hear opinions here!
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement