Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Os X

Options
  • 13-02-2002 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I'm just wondering how people have found the transition to OS X?

As the 'person in charge of those kind of things' in here [circa 30 macs, publishing company with internet stuff and audio video too] I've so far held off the transition for a number of reasons.

However, I'd be interested to see how other people have found the move.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Absolutely great!
    It is difficult for me to go back into OS9 now that I have X.

I only have two problems with it so far that are either negligable or fixable. One is the fact that I have 3 systems 9, 9.1 and X. if I am in 9 and want to restart to 9.1 I can't, I can only restart into X (no big deal).
    The other problem I have is with the disc burning guacamole. For some reason I can't use the in built disc burner with OSX - it sees my burner and tries very hard to burn, even telling me that it is burning but doesn't even fry an ant on the surface of the disc. Strange as I wouldn't expect that but workable as I can use toast on OS9.

Apart from that it is beautiful -eats up the memory but at least memory is cheap right now.

I have tried so blasted hard to beat this sucker at chess but it still wins, I even told it to do every single one of my moves for me and it still beat me!

I understand your hesitance on moving with the audiovisual, I still use Final cut pro and Digi performer with OS9, even if they were available for OSX I would be hesitant for a while.

If you have many Macs OSX can be great for setting users and sharing rights. I haven't tested this with my work NT server though. Do you have a Mac server?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

What version of FCP do you use?

I used uhm, v 1.5 on a job last year and found it really great. Its not an Avid, but its the best alternative ive seen so far (specially if your sourcing from DV).

Just wondering whats new and shiney in the latest versions.

It's just version 1 of FCP I think, I really can't remember. I haven't upgraded to the latest as I am working on a short film that has taken so blasted long to do - if I upgrade and it all suddenly doesn't work I will go bonkers. I heard that FCP latest edition is render as you go etc so no need to wait for your video rendering to finish until you proceed.

Good wee program, yes. If I get the 2 or 3 version I'll let you know how it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

OS X is godlike, though I still have trouble navigating because in open dialogues it just doesn't behave the way the old OS did. I used to keep lots of things on my desktop, and in several folders on the hard disk level but now I am not sure whether to put everything in a Documents folder or User folder or what to get back the ease at which I used to find the zillions of things I have on disk.

I'm also not too sure what to do about fonts in OS X....

If you are just a single user it doesn't really matter where you put your stuff, user, documents. It's when you have multiple users that you should stick to your user folder.

What makes OSX more difficult for you / or OS 9 easy "at which I used to find the zillions of things I have on disk."? I'm curious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement