Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube

Options
  • 13-02-2002 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I could get some feedback from people who have one and future game prospects. (Shinji I'm looking your way)
    Ill most likely be getting one but would like some first hand information.
    So tell me everything :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its really, really, really, really small. And quiet. None of that horrible noise the DC makes.

Joypad is pretty comfortable, D-pad is a bit small and the Z trigger is a bit oddly placed. Overall, its better than lovely.

Games-wise, you're best going after an X-Box or PS2 if you're looking for third party stuff. Ridge Racer, Resident Evil, Fifa and a few other major franchises are headed to the GC but apart from that, its nearly all ports. Still, Nintendo and the 2nd party developers have announced enough games to keep anyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The actual hardware is REALLY nice. As Brendan mentioned, it's very small and quiet (you can hardly hear the fan at all - it's certainly much more silent than the Xbox or the PS2) and thanks to being a pure games machine, really very simple; no complex menus, just straight into the games.

Games-wise, yeah, third party stuff is thin on the ground. A lot of the really big third-party titles on PS2 are appearing on GameCube, though; and in the near future stuff like Soul Calibur 2 will come to the Cube at the same time as the Xbox and PS2, so you certainly won't lose out on big name games by buying a Cube.

The Resident Evil series is exclusive to GameCube for the foreseeable future, with six games planned on the system.

First and second-party games are where it's at, though. Of the games I've played, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros Melee, Starfox Adventure and Pikmin are all downright superb; Pikmin in particular is the most innovative videogame I've seen in a long time. Luigis Mansion and Wave Race aren't quite in that category, but are still better than 95% of stuff on the shelves; and of course Rogue Leader is one of the best-looking games ever, although the gameplay is an acquired taste - I like it, others (Brendan included) don't.

Of course coming up in future, you've got Metroid Prime, Mario Summer, Zelda, a variety of Sega titles, updates of every Ninty franchise ever, Eternal Darkness... Basically one first or second party title a month, most of which are almost guaranteed to be superb. One top notch new game a month, combined with whatever third party gems happen to surface, isn't exactly shoddy in anyones books. It took the PS2 18 months to get its first top notch games, after all :)

Any idea on the price range for those games shinji?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Yea what Jabba said,and thx to Shin and Nekkid for the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Games like "Super Monkey Ball" seem to be on the same shelf as the those weird puzze type games like Chu Chu Rocket that the Asians love. Those type of games have always been big on Nintendo consoles. You either love them or hate them. I hate them. Never been my cup of tea at all. So the fact a mario or a zelda game is coming out is not a good thing, personally, while I see that to some people thats huge.

Rogue Leader is poo. We have it upstairs here in the office and we have been playing it and its not that its too hard its just aquard to the point that its not fun, its just 'meaningless'. If I wanted to just shoot wave upon wave of silly robot type things I would play Space Invaders!! Ive said here before, its no different than X-Wing with fancy graphics. Its not moved on at all gameplay wise. As above, Im sure some will love it and others will hate it.

Best game Ive played on the Cube is SSX Tricky, which is available on every platform known to man anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

But then Vagga you are completely objective on the Xbox v competition?
    :p

yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Jabba
    Any idea on the price range for those games shinji?

€249, altho i hear that it might be brought up a few € because the margin for selling the gc @ €249 is to small to make it worth their while

I haven't heard anything regarding a price increase in the €uro zone (though I'm liable to be wrong), but UK retailers are adding an extra £20 onto the price in Britain, citing the unstable €uro as their excuse.

With regard to the games price range, Gamecube games are £39.99 sterling on Amazon.co.uk..

work out that to that funny money you use at home yourselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I heard Gamecube is marketed for younger players! And Xbox for older teens and Adults...

Nintendo have a habbit of making childish looking games like mario and stuff like that.. personally i would go with Xbox but really im more for the PC.. have a PS/2 but console games so far dont have the deapth or reality you can get with a PC

I heard Gamecube is marketed for younger players! And Xbox for older teens and Adults
    sounds about right..

Ninty have total support from big fanboys like shinji , dont forget :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd almost buy one for metroid prime alone, it looks so sweet. anyone know a good site for info on it? (nintendo's is ****e)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I heard Gamecube is marketed for younger players! And Xbox for older teens and Adults...

Pretty much yes, but it's unfair to box the GameCube in as "for younger players".

Nintendo knows that it's got a huge market among kids aged 8-14, and they're not about to give up on that market in a hurry. However, they've done a very, very good job always of making their games playable for kids while still being interesting for adults - look at the likes of Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart or Mario 64, all of them considered classics by a hell of a lot of adults but also perfectly playable and enjoyable for kids.

GameCube is targetted at an even broader audience - anyone claiming that it's "just for kids" has apparently missed the fact that it's getting all the Resident Evil games, Soul Calibur, Eternal Darkness, etc...

tman: check out www.cloudchaser.com, they have a pretty good Ninty section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I haven't heard anything regarding a price increase in the €uro zone (though I'm liable to be wrong), but UK retailers are adding an extra £20 onto the price in Britain, citing the unstable €uro as their excuse.

Heh, it's usually the other way round. Still wouldn't stop me from buying one, even if it was 300 it's still cheaper than the PS2, although it's possible that it's due for a price cut too.

Advertisement