Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL broadband - is it what we want it to be

Options
  • 13-02-2002 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

in a perfect world we would have 24-7 low cost internet access trough a neumber of different broadband networks but...this isnt a perfect world , anyway, this is the real world and i just signed up for this ntl cable thingy for tallaght.....

what are the chance of this ntl network of being a cheap faulty network or is that even possible with cable (im a newbie to cable)
    :confused: i just feel that NTL have let me down from the start and i dont think they can just produce the perfect solution..

thanks for the help,
    niall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I can't speak for NTL... but I was on a cable-modem, broadband connection trial for almost two years with cablenet (before Chorus took them over and killed the program).

The connection was stable for the most part. There were some teething problems (as expected on a trial).. but overall it was fine. Given the trialling scenario the bandwidth to the net was not great. As far as I remember it was a 512K pipe to the internet, shared between about 30 cable modemers using a 128K connection individually.

Even with that crappy ratio and pipe, I was able to depend on consistant d/l rates and access. I'm back on dial up now (since Chorus got involved)... and waiting like everyone else for SOME solution.

If cable came again, via NTL or anyone else - I would consider it, however I would want to know about the user to bandwidth ratios and support setup before investing. Still - the cost for what you get is very good. NTL are pricing 512K connections for something like 30 - 35 euro.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

IMHO, Cable is generally the best type of broadband access.

Before moving to Ireland last year, I tried both ADSL and Cable in Toronto for years. (since 1997)

Although I got higher burst rates with ADSL, Cable was more reliable with consistant speeds between 2 and 3 Mbps. (They sell 3Mbps cable and adsl in Canada)

The phone companies like to advertise about security problems with Cable, but the best info from the US claims thats a bunch of bunk.

The eircom excuses don't hold water by the way - there are canadian provinces that are poorer and less populated than Irland, and they all have adsl.

** One interesting point - the Cable companies here like to complain about Sky TV. If they got off their arses and delivered broadband, sky TV would be as popular here as it is in Canada (which is not very). Irish companies need to learn to compete on product rather via legislation **

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've had ntl cable now for 2+ months
    and i've never had a problem
    it is constantly connected - 24/7
    downloads always 60+k/sec
    and what is as goodas as static ip address.

and for 35e/month - a bargain

Advertisement