Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for web dev

Options
  • 13-02-2002 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm at a loss as to how much to charge for my (freelance) web design services. I've done several sites but I suspect I'm undercharging (Never more than £400 for brochure sites).

Examples of basic design work I've done (static pages):
    http://www.dublingardens.com/
    http://www.clubi.ie/calumet/
    http://www.pccubed.ie/

I'm getting clients now from recommendations and I'm looking to take the whole thing a bit more seriously now.

I've got a fairly big project in the pipeline now involving ASP and a database back-end (with a basic content management system) and was looking for guidlines on how much to charge? Roughly what are the going rates, especially when you take programming & DB design into account (hourly or per project)??

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

about €35/hour .

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

HI Bos,

Took a look at your work and it looks very professional. Unfortunately the most you'll ever make out of "brochure" sites is €2 or €3k.

Its good to see your branching out into sites with good content management solutions. If you're working from your bedroom with little or no overheads you should charge around €25 per hour.

If you're working from a small office you usually quote around €5k for small to mid-sized database-driven projects.

Make sure you get them to sign off each stage of the project so you don't have to worry about constantly re-jigging stuff for free.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Terminator
    Took a look at your work and it looks very professional. Unfortunately the most you'll ever make out of "brochure" sites is €2 or €3k.
    Depends upon the client and your own (or your company's) reputation - I did a brochureware site once that went for £145k.

Charge per day and get a signed spec, then give your price based upon that.

I did a brochureware site once that went for £145k.

Forgive me but I find that a little hard to believe.

Besides when I talk about a brochureware site I mean 10-15 pages with no dynamic content or scripting involved.

I would hardly think your 145k site falls into this category.

Forgive me but I find that a little hard to believe.

Besides when I talk about a brochureware site I mean 10-15 pages with no dynamic content or scripting involved.

I would hardly think your 145k site falls into this category.

It was more than that; maybe 25 pages, some dynamic content (IIS/SQL7 & dedicated server), some flash and WAP & I-Mode microsites. But that's all. Totally over priced. Did it in late 2000.

Client had more money than sense. They went belly up, in the end (after paying most of the money) :D

• Advertisement

:D That was some good work you did on ebeon.ie???

:D That was some good work you did on ebeon.ie???

LOL. No, it was a spin-off of the big-5. Was due to IPO, failed to get anywhere and was just absorbed back into the main business. Multinational, and as I said, more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bos

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I needed to know. Don't think I'll ask for 145k just yet, though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Those sites are very good and you seem to be severely underpricing yourself for what you've done. Its a very Irish thing but the less you charge the more the client thinks the work is shoddy, however the more you charge the more they class it as quality work.

You should really charge above the 1000 euro mark for those sites.

Originally posted by yellum
    You should really charge above the 1000 euro mark for those sites.
    Actually, yellum's right. Realistically, you would charge between €3k and €10k for a site, such as the one you described at the start. Programming (ASP and DB work), you should be looking at charging anything between €350 and €650 p.d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I no nothing about pricing, but have a look back through some threads in webmaster that seem to have a relevant topic, and look at some of the shíte websites that people have gotten paid for. Yours would be of high quality and so obviously worth that little more. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

do what i do

shop round as a customer, tell the design company what you want, and that you would like a quote.

then, you go back to YOUR customer, and set him a price, knowing that it wont be beaten, but still a handsome profit to yourself

Advertisement