Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films ruined in the last five minutes

• 14-02-2002 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

You know that way when you sit through a film and enjoy it thoroughly, then just when you are ready for the credits something annoying happens and the whole thing is ruined.

I'm thinking of two in particular, the Breakfast Club (Gorgeous, eccentric, misunderstood goth girl is given a makeover in the school toilets. Wow! Even weird girls can look conventionally attractive. What a revelation! Now she has seen the light and her life will be wonderful if only she can find herself a nice husband.)

And Braveheart. (Robert the Bruce, after freeing the whole of Scotland from the English, prepares to hand over his armies to the English until a look at a scabby piece of cloth reminds him that Freedom is all that matters. A national hero instantly stripped of all greatness)

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Vanilla Sky. The film built up so well, I was really looking forward to see what happens at the end (how often can you say THAT about a film nowadays??) and it turned out to be awful. Really didn't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Fight Club.
    It was fierce daft.

Snake Eyes.
    That was fierce daft too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Yeah Titanic - the ship sank - DOH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Alien Resurrection - god that ending was dire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The absolute worst is Planet of the Apes.. it was engoyable and entertaining until that ending!! By Jebus the ending was dire and ruined the who thing!! Could not comprehend what posessed such an off the wall illogical ending that made no sense.. no doubt its been discussed in the boards some time ago so wont bother now!

• Advertisement

On the contrary, the first five minutes of Planet of the apes was cool - everything after that was downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Just saw Mission Impossible 2 the other night. I'd been putting it off cos I thought it was going to be crap.
    But as I was watching it I was thinking 'geez this isn't actually too bad'.
    But the last half an hour of the film was absolutely dire/****e/load of bollix, puttting it mildly.
    Well now at least I know why I never went to see it in the cinema anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

A.I.
    Fantastic modern-day fairtale turned into third-rate sci-fi rubbish in the last five minutes.

A.I cant agree there... do you understand the ending? You would be surprised how many do not! If you understand it you may find it interesting.. i thought it was a great ending to a very good movie!

Yeah AI ending was cool - seeing the twin towers and the flooded New York was worth the price of admission alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

UG! AI - Stupid post modern Pinocchio type thingy. Actually now that i think about it maybe the ending was ok... but the rest of it sucked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    Fight Club.
    It was fierce daft.

It was fierce daft, but strangely satisfying - Eye Wide Shut on the other hand, the lamest, most anti-climactic ending in recent cinema history.

Originally posted by Saruman
    A.I cant agree there... do you understand the ending? You would be surprised how many do not! If you understand it you may find it interesting.. i thought it was a great ending to a very good movie!
    I understood it all too well.
    I just thought it needlessly soured what was otherwise an incredibly sweet movie.

Never bothered with Eyes wide shut.. any of the times i flcked it on i could not stay interested so stuck on some other crap..

Fight club had a good ending, it was unexpected like the edning to 6th sense but it made some sense in the way the rest of the movie had a complete lack of sense! When it turned out he had multiple personality dissorder.. that made the whole film make sense! If you did not like it because of the shooting himself in the head part which killed his other self but left him alive? Thats not important.. it was a psycological problem so in killing himself he killed the other him but when the body survived, the real him survived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

A film that really p1ssed me off is Dusk till Dawn. It was the whole second half of the film that did it. I was watching what I thought was a excellent film, even George Clooney was brilliant in it and then that scene happened. I read all fantasy books and like sci-fi too, so I do not think it was my imagination that was the issue, I just thought it went ridiculously bad. Anyone who has seen it will know the scene I am talking about.

No Waylander that was great! The Vampires came from no where, your not expecting it and it was great fun! I saw its 2 sequels, 2 is brutal, 3 is good its set back in the 1800's and is sort of a western and about the beginning of the Girl Vampire in the first one! You know the one.. in the red dress!

Mission Impossible 2: john woo is a great director but unfortunately, something happened in the ending of this film...talk about building up Tom Cruise's ego! It's so obvious that he had something to do with the way the film went...for example, only tom himself could have come up with the idea of a bridge going on fire, only to have himself amazingly (wait for it!)...drive through the fire, in an effort to save his girl!

*Crowd cheers* GO ON YA BOYO TOMMY!! G'YUP OUTTA THAT!! THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT!! WHEHEHEHEE!

That was the only thing that ruined the film for me, the over-confident Cruise doing some amazing out-of-this-world amazing stunts...talk about ego!:rolleyes:

Best bit of that film.. when he put the tom cruise mask on the other fella and the bad guy killed what looked like cruise.. hehe -
    phun!

Hmmm I can see the Scooby Doo movie when it comes out - at the end "...and I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those blasted kids!".

Did not see the end of Dungeons and Dragons but if its anything like the first 10 seconds then it must be the worst ever ending! Any brave souls manage to watch the whole sickening, scar you for life THING?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Waylander
    A film that really p1ssed me off is Dusk till Dawn. It was the whole second half of the film that did it. I was watching what I thought was a excellent film, even George Clooney was brilliant in it and then that scene happened. I read all fantasy books and like sci-fi too, so I do not think it was my imagination that was the issue, I just thought it went ridiculously bad. Anyone who has seen it will know the scene I am talking about.

Gotta disagree I thought this was a really good film all the way through.
    Fight Club. It was fierce daft

gotta disagree with this one too, I thought the ending was brilliant, even though I had it figured out a while before

Yeah D&D had a ****e ending also , extremly predictable and badly animated.

You deserve an award for sticking through it!

Gotta agree there. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Fight Club. Every little bit was amazing. I've actually never heard anyone saying the ending was bad, everyone I know loves it. No accounting for taste.

MI:2 was pretty awful, but then again, the ending in the first one was pretty bad aswell. All that mask pulling. Urgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The bone collector. Remeber the one with Denzil Washington and Angelina Jolie? It was meant to be a "whodunnit" kind of film, but in the end you couldnt figure out who the killer was. He had nothing to do with any of the story we'd seen. ****ing ridiculous.

The bone collector was not about the killer it was about the killings!! The killings followed the patern of "the bone collector" book! Thats what it was about, in figuring that out it was a case of anticipating the next victim and catching the killer at it!

It was infact a good film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Razor Tooth Smile. It starts back in the 1800's or so and yer woman tries to kill this bloke but he's a vampire and lives and in all the commotion she gets shot so he loves her and bites her to make her a vampire and immortal so she won't die but she hates him for turning her into a vampire. Then it switches to present day and he's trying to catch her and get her back after all those years. Well it goes on a bit and at the end there's this fight between yer man she is with now and the vampire dood. vampire wins and he's about to kill yer woman for some reason :confused: but anyway he puts down the sword and they start kissin and it turns out it was all a massive game that they played coz they're immortal and gotta pass the time somehow. Really bad ending to what was otherwise a pretty good film.

Bone Collector just reminded me - I fuppin' hate the ending in "Seven" (or 7even or whatever the feck it's called) - the fact that he kills the Gwyneth Paltrow character totally ruins his entire raison d'etre as a killer - up to this he'd only killed people he belived should be punished for their vices.

Actually the end of Seven illustrated perfectly what he was trying to do. Did you not get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by koneko
    Actually the end of Seven illustrated perfectly what he was trying to do. Did you not get it?

Obviously Lolo doesnt get it, koneko- you could have explained it...

Killing Mills' wife IS punishing someone for their vice... it's punishing Mills for committing the deadly sin of VENGEANCE by killing John Doe.

Mills' vengeance, in return, is punishing John Doe for his ENVY of Mills' life - envy being another of the deadly sins.

Those 2 acts - Doe killing Mills' wife and Mills then killing Doe finishes off what Doe considers as his 'masterpiece'... all seven deadly sins and the deaths that go with them exposed in all their ugliness for the world to see.

There's nothing wrong with the ending to Se7en. Everything is right with it. ... Great movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eh, punishing himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Victor
    eh, punishing himself?

What? Who?

I thought I explained it clearly...

Mills punishes Doe for Doe's envy
    Doe pre-empted that by punishing Mills for his Vengeance

Doe wanted Mills to kill him so that his masterpiece would be complete. I suppose, as Doe orchestrated it all, you could argue that he punished himself.

--

I disagree, btw, with the thought that Fight Club or Braveheart were ruined in the last 5 minutes. Utter rubbish. :)

Originally posted by Bard
    Killing Mills' wife IS punishing someone for their vice... it's punishing Mills for committing the deadly sin of VENGEANCE by killing John Doe.
    It is not punishing Mills for committing anything - it is merely the catalyst for the vengeance. Her death was "bait", nothing more, and, as such, I can see why lolo would have such a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

The first planet of the apes endin was one of the best ever the remake sucked, i think ya should note the diff.

As for dust till dawn, that whole film was a piss-take and shouldnt' of been takin seriously?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

The bone collector was not about the killer it was about the killings!! The killings followed the patern of "the bone collector" book! Thats what it was about, in figuring that out it was a case of anticipating the next victim and catching the killer at it!

It was infact a good film

There was absolutely nothing in the whole film linking the killer to the killings. That in my opinion, is stupid.
    Maybe you enjoyed the film, I on the other hand, did not.
    Also, if I recall correctly, it was a case of figuring out the next site for the death and catching the killer there, not figuring out the next victim.

It still sucked though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You deserve an award for sticking through it!

Try watching it while two guys in the row in front are complaining about how a low level wizard can cast such a high level spell and how magic/weapon/character/whatever is in D&D and they ruined it.

Or the classic line "A Beholder as a servent! They ruined the genre!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

cube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No Way Out (1987) , Kevin Costner was a Ruskie after all!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    Fight Club.
    It was fierce daft.
    An unexpected plot twist I'll agree, but IMO Fight Club has one of the best endings I've seen... it makes you want to watch it again, just to see where the clues were... and that Pixies soundtrack at the end?! NYOM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Planet of the Apes! That film was grand until the ending when he goes back to earth but its not the earth he knew and it has changed but it cant have change like it should have. In the orignal the story is that it was earth after all but in the film it wasnt earth that he was on, which was obvious by the whole fact of there being more then one moon orbiting the Planet of the Apes. So the only conclusion is that it is some sort of parallel universe that he had returned to. It just made no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I liked the ending of Se7en too, thought it finished off the whole story very nicely, it made the film for me. Actually, I must watch that film again, been ages since I've seen it and it's probably one of my favourites.

On the subject of the ending to Se7en, there's actually storyboards for an alternative ending on the DVD I have of it, in that ending Morgan Freeman's character kills him instead at the last minute, because he was retiring anyway, and thus foiled John Doe's masterpiece, but they didn't even shoot it afaik, don't think it would have worked half as well as the one they used anyway, the real ending makes the whole thing feel a lot more epic, for want of a better word.

See you got the DVD too eh? Yummy boxsets. I love the way they followed up the brilliant Fight Club set with that re-release of Seven.

*includes a few spoilers so if you still have to watch Seven (where have you been??), don't read*
    As for the ending, soz I didn't feel I had to explain it ;) Everyone but Lolo seemed to get it first time round. In the end Brad Pitt's character (Det. Mills - wahey) helped the killer reach his goal, and complete the seven-deadly-sins-killing. That scene was amazing, the way the whole film built up was done so well. Started off incredibly dark (literally... there was no light). Slowly, throughout the film, it gets lighter, at the end, desert, full light. The anguish Mills was going through, knowing on one hand that this man killed his wife (and unborn child), but on the other that by killing him he's playing right into his hands. Brilliant. Must watch it again.

Firstly when i said Planet of the Apes had the worst ending! Of course i meant the remake.. the original had the best ending i have ever seen!! Classic!!

And a parallel universe makes no sense for the remake! Think about it.. every single detail at the end was identical to modern day Washington DC, the police cars, the uniforms, helicopters.. even the Washington monument and that statue house where he sees instead of an human, an ape.. and the police are apes.. apes are the only difference! Cant be alternative reality, no intelligent person can believe that apes and not humans evolved on this earth and made everything the same, even the badge on the uniforms as humans did!

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

It is not punishing Mills for committing anything - it is merely the catalyst for the vengeance. Her death was "bait", nothing more, and, as such, I can see why lolo would have such a problem with it.

Yes - thank you! I did understand the ending perfecly, but I thought it was flawed because up until then all the murders had been justified (in his mind) as the punishment of a living embodiment of 1 of the deadly sins. But the wife was an innocent (in his terms), therefore it breaks the pattern and ruins his integrity as a serial killer. I like my serial killers to have integrity!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

personally, i thought the ending to the matrix was a bit cheesy, anyone else think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Dungeons and Dragons was THE worst cast i have ever seen. They were all ripped strait out of T.V. . You know the red sprongy dragon calling device? I saw somthing that looked exactly like that being sold by a krusty. it had a little tag on it giving information saying how "if you buy this you can help save Osama bin Ladden by giving him, his family and his entire village a well to drink out of".

It had really cheeseee CG aswell. There wasnt one, and i mean one, good scene in the whole movie. That takes real artistic defiance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Planet of the Arses, i mean Apes was another downer.

Things were going fine for the first 10/15 mins but once you found out that the hoomans could talk that really drew away from the origianal.

I thought it was ment to be a remake not a completly different storyline. The way he just turns up at the linkon memorial. What if there was another monkey there? They would have permanently warped together.they would both be almost certainly be killed immediatly. The monkeys in cop uniforms looked like big fat bastards in tight action-man clothes that had shrunk in the wash.

Ahhh well thats enough input for me for one night

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

4 weddings and a funeral-not a hugely brilliant film in my mind, but the ending scene was so corny I was wretching.
    "was it raining? I hardly noticed" as said by the female lead. So cheesy, and just blurted it out anyway.
    Sheer filth. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Original Planet of the apes or new one??
    cause the new one is a Hape O ShiiiE!!!
    The ending makes no sense at all, its like la la la film film film film, Ending! Bang What happened?? whatcha mean? What? " no its over get out!" But what just happened? " Get out!"

Theres my explanation of the ending of Planet of the apes 2001

Bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Went to see Oceans Eleven last saturday and was reasonably impressed.
    It wasn't ruined in the last 5 minutes but a load of people got up out of their seats and started to leave just before the "3 to 5 years later" part.

Everybody started laughing at them.
    Silly yokes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement