Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway Restore

• 14-02-2002 10:56am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Started a restore on a Gateway PC, then the Gateway 98 CD was damaged so I have to use a "normal 98" cd

For people who have a Gateway will understand when u start off you have to verify your keyboard and CDROM,

then it asks you to insert the Windows CD.

I have successfully reinstalled Windows but this annoying message is still coming up now and you need to press F10 to exit it.

Any ideas how to get rid of it??

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭horn dog 1

Im sure evil george is the man to sort this out for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Boot from a Boot disk (floppy - only make one).
    When you get to the A: type in "fdisk/mbr" followed by "sys c:"

Now go to the c drive, you'll find a BRCD folder on the c drive delete the folder and its contents.

Reboot and its gone - or should be.

Dam you horndog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Bang on Evilgeorge for once you know what your talking about and gave the info that should work... also get red of Autoexec.bat and config.sys, either by deleting OR by running msconfig and taking out the tick

If this guy asks how to make a boot disk - I'd say all hope is lost and the universe will more than likely explode, throwing us all out of existance.

• Advertisement

Is that an unintended pun about the Gateway UNIVERSAL boot disk?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

how do u make a boot disk??? :p

Thanks George

A windows boot disk is easy enough.. just make the startup disk in add/remove programs....

A Gateway Universal bootdisk is different.. either download the UBD creation util from the Gateway UK site or it should be on your system CD ina folder called bootdisk (of all places) generally stored in the misc folder (unless its a very recent system, things have changed since then!)

I knew it.

Advice when you go to the c prompt to delete the BRCD folder (check if its there first).

Use the deltree comand - but set yourself up for it first type:
    "path = c:\windows\command" or its in "path = c:\windows" (one of them,
    then type
    "deltree BRCD" - do you want to delete this folder and its contects ? - chose yes unless you want to be spoonfed.

Im seeing a LOT of Gateway threads in here now that they are gone.. maybe there should be a section fot it?

• Advertisement

Yeah the "Gateway Rejects" section.

yup
    GWtech "welcome to Gateway Technical Support"
    customer "Yeah i have a pro..."
    GWtech "Format"
    customer "eh what? you mean wipe my hard drive?"
    GWtech "I said format did i not? are you not listening to me?"
    customer "Well i my problem is i have no display so i cant see the screen.. how do i format my hard drive?
    GWtech "simple.. borrow another monitor and if you can see go to Dos and type format c: and your problem will be resolved
    customer: Oh ok thank you ver....
    GWtech: goodbye

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I was actually joking about the boot disk!! hee hee
    thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Saruman
    yup
    GWtech "welcome to Gateway Technical Support"
    customer "Yeah i have a pro..."
    GWtech "Format"
    customer "eh what? you mean wipe my hard drive?"
    GWtech "I said format did i not? are you not listening to me?"
    customer "Well i my problem is i have no display so i cant see the screen.. how do i format my hard drive?
    GWtech "simple.. borrow another monitor and if you can see go to Dos and type format c: and your problem will be resolved
    customer: Oh ok thank you ver....
    GWtech: goodbye

valued_gateway_client :rolleyes: : I have a gateway
    GWtech: Ok' I'm just gonna have to transfer you to Customer services
    valued_gateway_client :rolleyes: : But I left my mother inside the pc when I was changing the motherboard, becuase someone said gateway were to stingy for an onsite
    GWtech: Ok well I hear what your saying..... what was it you were talking about again? Oh yes, you wanted to speak to the IVR didn't you, yes the document you want is docid 333 "removing mothers accidentially left inside a pc a gateway tech had you repair over the phone"
    valued_gateway_client :rolleyes: : Oh right, ermm can I talk to your manager
    GWtech: Errm well I COULD let you talk to my manager, unfortunately there was a big meteor strike and all the managers are on a meeting right now, but what I can do for you is transfer you to IVR.
    Supervisor: Your average handling time is -20 minutes how do you do it

GWtech: IVR.

Thoughts of a gateway tech
    /Morning
    Ho humm it's tuesday morning, right well on Tuesdays I like to format hard-disks so better start right now.
    /Lunch
    Woah this canteen is filled full of babes from HR :D
    /Afternoon
    Ho humm it's afternoon I just have to hang up on like 10 people to get my aht up, format format format, la la la.

Typedef.........
    eh another disgruntled gateway customer? or an ex employee??

Former Tech Support employee, oh the memories.

Yes i remember them well.. when the place closed down we got the news September 11th of all days, even though we knew for some time it was made official and then all hell broke loose in New York and our problems were not important.. we were all over the news websites!

Yup I made tracks at the first really big round of production lay-offs.. I'm sure you remember how hektic things were getting, it wasn't pretty, all those meetings with managers telling us with cheesey looks on their faces how 'These layoffs won't affect tech', yeah right they won't.

What I could never figure out is with over 50% of EMEA's business being in the UK how the dudes in the US would have pulled out of the UK too? Remember how over half of tech was for the UK & Ireland market? Seems like a huge market to give up, I mean sure Gateway never really sold pcs in Germany so I could understand a pullout of there, but the UK? Just seems like giving away money!

They had a huge market but it was loss making as i understand! The US at least they are still competative and among the top 5 companies so made sense for them to concentrate on the US market!

Hmm I seem to remember some statistic that said the US market had shrunk by 35% but the EMEA by 45%. Even if the UK had shrunk by 10% more than the US, which I doubt points to note are that 1. The US market was in almost as much trouble as the EMEA 2. The UK probably would have remained profitable 3. The pullout was as much about keeping shareholders happy in the short term as anything else.
    Look at Dell when things started to get tough they launched like a 5 million quid ad campaign, while Gateway were changing management, so instead of concentrating on getting trough a rough patch the head guys heads were rolling to make investors happy. Would Michael Dell be removed from Dell in the same way, not a chance, that's how they came out on top, or at least a part of it.

Simply put Gateway were looking for some scapegoat at the top to crucify rather than fixing the problems the market had generated.

• Advertisement

too true! it would make more sense to ride out a rough patch... i know people are still looking to buy Gateways and wonder why they pulled out!

Advertisement