Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That day in September

• 14-02-2002 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Right I was in a happy mode about watch Die Hard 2 last night when the announcer said "Please remember that this film was made before the events of September 11" or words to that effect. This may be just me but is it taking the whole thing too far when an Irish TV station feels the need to cover themselves before showing a films with terrorists and planes in it. Second who are the people who they are covering themselves against? Are their people who will write and complain to RTE about Die Hard2 being unsuitable because of Sept 11?

Will every other film with stuff happening to planes in it have to have that warning before they show it.?

[offened tone of voice]
    Dear RTE. Last night's film was a disgrace. Air travel is no laughing matter. The film in question, Airplane, was disrespectful to everyone who.....etc etc etc
    [/tone]

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

I think we're still at the stage where there should be warnings about this kind of thing - don't forget a lot of Irish people had family and friends that were killed, so the warning is kind of like a 'this film contains scenes that may offend/ disturb some viewers' warning - i.e., if you're likely to be upset, don't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I doubt anyone who watched it last night had never seen it before so no need for the warning anyway.. even if there were they would have realised "hey he has hair!" and so is obviously quite old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Right I think people took me up wrong. I don't really what to get back into the whole Sept 11. I was more interested in knowing about the people who complain.

On the off chance that there is someone from RTE here can they (or anyone) tell me did RTE's switchboard light up as they say?

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

Originally posted by Saruman
    I doubt anyone who watched it last night had never seen it before so no need for the warning anyway.. even if there were they would have realised "hey he has hair!" and so is obviously quite old!

Okay, so maybe they were being a bit over-cautious in flagging such an old movie, but I think it's still relevant.

RTE blasts at least one of the Die hard movies out every few months.. i cant see how anyone who has a TV and watches RTE does not at least know what Die hard is about!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Pussyfooting around because of what happened is no way to tackle it - the terrorists have already won if you do that - you're living in terror of what they've done.

As usual, people over-react and do things that have absolutly no relavence to the matter at hand.

I mean, remaking parts of Spiderman because the towers are in it - what the fluck does that prove or solve?

Someone needed to wake America up to the fact that it's not invunerable, it's absolutly horrific on a scale that's almost too difficult to comprehend the way it did happen and something I could never in a million years agree with or begin to understand how or why it happened.

The question is, why do these people hate America with every essence of their being? No one seems to think these folks might have a point (in the way that a lot of people agree that the ideals of Republican paramilitaries in Northern Ireland are just).

What does the world do to react?

It remakes films or puts up warnings before something that has the WTC towers or is mildly related to the tragedy, it stops playing agressive music on the radios, it does fluck all to deal with the real issues.

Probably going to be an unpopular post (apologies for it's RANT like behaviour and going somewhat off topic), but I really don't care - it's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as you are to yours.

And to the people who might complain - grow up - life's too short to be hung up on the most trivial of things like a television station showing an old film.

(btw - my familly had a very narrow escape that day - my cousin used to spend every Tuesday in an office in tower 1 and for some freaky reason, he wasn't there that day, so it's not as if this thing hasn't affected me personally)

Exactly Kharn! In fact a movie is being made about the guy who got 2,700 people out of the building before going back in to rescue more people and then got himself killed.. what sort of warning do you think will be shown on that one? For those that complain about the film being in bad taste etc all i can say is films like that Spit in the face of the terrorists that were involved.. It even may cheapen any honour they thought they had by doing it.. Which is a good way for fanatics to feel.. if they think they are winning they continue.. if the US and indeed the world stop pussyfooting around as you say and get on with things and stop complaining over images of the WTC then the terrorists goal of creating terror is shortlived.. its over.. if the world keeps doing it then the effects linger on and so they win! That cant be allowed to happen...
    Probably going to be an unpopular post (apologies for it's RANT like behaviour and going somewhat off topic), but I really don't care - it's my opinion and I'm just as entitled to it as you are to yours

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Well I mean fair enough their just showing a bit of respect, I'm sure it will die away in time and things will be back to normal, hell there are still people afraid to fly to the states, so it hasn't gone away yet.

Originally posted by Kharn
    Pussyfooting around because of what happened is no way to tackle it - the terrorists have already won if you do that - you're living in terror of what they've done.

What does the world do to react?

It remakes films or puts up warnings before something that has the WTC towers or is mildly related to the tragedy, it stops playing agressive music on the radios, it does fluck all to deal with the real issues.

But I don't think in this instance 'dealing with the real issues' is relevant, they're just warning people, or reminding them, that there's "sensitive material" in the film. There's no harm in that.

suppose no harm in warning people.. its when you start deleting scenes with the WTC in it that it gets a little stupid..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

I mean, remaking parts of Spiderman because the towers are in it - what the fluck does that prove or solve?

They didn't remake any part of it. Or if they did the original is going to be shown. They got away with it by sayin that its a fictional city. But yeah I agree why are these bits being taken out? Whats it going to solve? Its already happened so live with it. There are movies made about Northern Ireland but I don't hear any warnings before them telling people there is sensitive material in it and people are getting killled up there all the time. Prolly gone a bit off topic but ah well.

Originally posted by EL_Diablo

There are movies made about Northern Ireland but I don't hear any warnings before them telling people there is sensitive material in it and people are getting killled up there all the time.
    There were warnings before both the Bloody Sunday films.

Advertisement