Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mail from eircom

• 05-01-2001 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

Thank you for your recent email.

Eircom will shortly announce the next part of its strategy to
    remain
    market leader in the communications / entertainment market when we
    unveil plans for the introduction of xDSL in the next six to eight
    weeks. Currently, we cannot release information regarding how xDSL
    products and services will be delivered and what eircom's retail
    proposition will be as we are assessing market needs and how we
    might
    best address them.

However, we can assure you that we aim to offer customers the best
    range of DSL enabled services we can, and we are committed to
    providing this technology to as many customers as possible on a
    phased
    basis beginning early next year. Actual role out plans have not
    yet
    been finalised and we are therefore unable to tell you exactly
    when
    and where the service will be available at the moment. As soon as
    we
    are in a position to provide customers with more specific details
    of
    eircom's DSL offering, we will of course do so. Until plans are
    finalised we cannot confirm the number of customers who will be
    able
    to avail of this service.
    I hope this will be of assistance to you.

Regards,

Niamh.

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

fup xdsl.........i want my isdn!!!!!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Regards,

Niamh.

</font>

same old story.
    As a matter of interest , who did you send the email too? ive tried to complain over the phone a few times but noone seemed to know who to put me tthru to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I thought the local loop whotsit was suppose to be unbundled by January 1st. Does anyone know if Esat are going to offer something like DSL? Are they able to now? Considering Eircom still have metered net access id say anything they give will be way too dear (£50 plus, is my idea of dear).

I saw bout 2 days ago that Eircom had said the unbundling would be delayed because of pricing difficulties, any info on dat?

Dotsie
    www.dotsies.com
    dotsie@dotsies.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Its only bad news...

http://www.independent.ie/2001/2/bu14e.shtml

Eircon has been given the January deadline from the EU to announce a pricing structure for allowing other companies like esat use their equipment, lines, etc...basically Eircon have said no problem and stated they will be charging 9x (yes, 9 times) what the average is around the EU. Impossible for esat etc. to offer anything competitive.

This could take a long time to sort out as they esat and others will have to oppose and Ms. Etain Doyle (telecoms regulator) will have to make a decision...could it go to the courts, i dunno, im a yank...i cant believe we have to pay for local calls over here???

Anyone want to start a movement towards educating people about how a tyrannical phone company that many people invested in to go public is still maintaining their monopoly over us the consumer(and some of the shareholders)?
    check this link for news:
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0105/fin17.htm

212.120.138.69 bayridge cs server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I thought April 1st was the date they gave for this local loop unbundling lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I got a friend who's parents work in eircom who are testing the service. they have been told we wont get it till after septemebr at the earilist. Basterds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭[IAR]Nevermind

i got the modem about a month ago and they aint come yet how long they guna be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Im setting up a viscous website on the Internet in Ireland and there are so far many references to Eircoms brutality...

Ill keep you all posted....

--Chris--

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

good way to lure in a bit of money biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Eircom will shortly announce the next part of its strategy to
    remain
    market leader in the communications / entertainment

</font>

lol entertainment (ain't it true)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I ran that through "The Burn" at thespark.com and it came out like so...

Thank you and your sluts for your sorry recent jizz.
    Eircom will shortly announce the ****ing next part of its strategy to
    remain
    market leader in the ****ing communications / entertainment market when we
    unveil plans for the ****ing introduction of xDSL in the ****ing next six to ****in' eight
    weeks. RARRRRRRRRR! Currently, we cannot release information regarding how in the hell xDSL
    products and services will be delivered and ****ing what eircom's retail
    proposition will be as we are assessing market needs and how in the hell we
    might
    worst address them ****s.

However, we can assure you that we aim to offer customers the ****ing worst
    range of DSL enabled services we can, and we are committed to ****in'
    providing this bull**** technology to ****in' as many customers as possible on a
    phased
    basis beginning early next year. Actual role out plans have not
    yet
    been finalised and we are therefore unable to ****in' tell you exactly
    when
    and where the **** the ****ing service will be available at the ****ing moment. As soon as
    we
    are in a position to provide customers with more specific details
    of
    eircom's DSL offering, we will of course do so god-damn. You are a ****bag. Until plans are
    finalised we cannot confirm the ****ing number of customers who will be
    able
    to ****in' avail of this bull**** service.
    I hope this bull**** will be of assistance to you and your jive.

Regards,

Niamh.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0108/fin5.htm

more bad news im afraid. Although more articles like this and we might get some relief...

As far as DSL and competition read the bottom of the article, I qoute...

Mr Parkinson said Esat and other operators would probably not be in a position to offer digital subscriber line technology before the end of 2001.

"Because we haven't got the terms of access or equipment in the exchanges it could be 12 months before we see digital subscriber line technology in Ireland."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">same old story</font>

Exactly the same. That exact email has been quoted on boards.ie before, and in other places. Copied and pasted rubbish.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">ive tried to complain over the phone a few times but noone seemed to know who to put me tthru to.</font>

That's because no-one who answer the phones will have a clue what you're talking about. Eircon put droids on the phones.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I thought the local loop whotsit was suppose to be unbundled by January 1st.</font>

There's an EU directive about it, although I wouldn't swear it was passed in the end - I've lost touch a little. Either way, Eircon have fudged on it, by pricing too high. There was a meeting about it (and other things) on Friday, and the OLO's (Other Licenced Operators) were lining up to tear Eircon a new one over it. They were quite looking forward to it actually.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Does anyone know if Esat are going to offer something like DSL?</font>

Not if you go by what their salespeople say, but they haven't an fscking clue either. I've had one tell me twice that "Esat can't offer DSL services because Eircom got the license for it." Which is one of two things: 1) an outright lie; or 2) a demonstration of ignorance. Because there's no such thing as a licence for DSL. There's broadband licences; narrowband licences; wireless licences and more. And Esat have all of them.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are they able to now?</font>

No. To supply DSL services OLO's need some form of direct or indirect access to the exchanges. Eircom are taking a leaf out of BT's book on this issue and stalling on it, albeit in a slightly different way. The worry now is that when the pricing difficulties are sorted - and they'll have to be, by hook or by crook - that Eircon will follow BT's lead by stalling on opening the exchanges too. Etain Doyle should see this coming and pre-empt it, but will she?
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I saw bout 2 days ago that Eircom had said the unbundling would be delayed because of pricing difficulties, any info on dat?</font>

Eircom created the price dificulties with the sole purpose of stalling the process. There's absolutely no way in hell Etain Doyle could allow that pricing structure, and Eircon know it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyone want to start a movement towards educating people about how a tyrannical phone company that many people invested in to go public is still maintaining their monopoly over us the consumer(and some of the shareholders)</font>

I already tried this, although not very well. The site arose out of a legal complaint from Eircon about my use of the Eircon logo and trademark - I had a parody site taking the **** out of them, which I still believe was fair use. The ironic thing is that I would never have taken the site as far as I did if I hadn't received the unethical - in my opinion - solicitors letter.

To be fair to people though, they were very supportive, and most of the postings on the forums I set up were fairly well thought out. There wasn't very many flames either, which is unusual. I've taken the site down now, because I don't have time to administer it, but if the support was there I'd gladly set something up again.

I was actually thinking of doing this anyway, although I was going to set the site up as a generic consumers peer-to-peer site, where people could compare notes on products and services they were using, or thinking of using. Unfortunately, without support, moderators and of course a community, it would be just as doomed to failure as the first.

adam

[You're not still here, are ya?]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

in the next six to eight
    weeks.
    </font>

same ****, different pile. They've been saying 6-8 weeks for 6-8 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

wonder is there a law against how crap a service provider can become

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

k, this is about as official as it gets from Esat, this is information from one of the top technical lads, who I know, and he has been right about most things so far:

Right NOW, Esat is offering adsl services albeit through a psuedo leased line service. this is very pricey (£3000 a year). it doesn't involve cabling but uses radio type signals to communicate, obviously this is no good to the home person.

in July, or June this year, Eircom is being forced to give up control of the local loop bundles, I have been told that ADSL will be offered the same month by esat, though i'd say it will take one or two months more, at the earliest, basically things are going to happen, regardless of Eircom's bumbling about, and losing the chance to take part of the early market

lo all
    as stone and some of you already know I have been weighting for my ISDN line to be put in for the past 4 months, and I still don't have it, I'm on the leixlip exchange in Kildare. this is the kind of service I have been getting from eircom. when I ask can I talk to an engineer from my exchange what I get from the people are as follows.

standard eircom hi-speed sales person " I do not have a number for engineers, I'll have to get my supervisor"

Supervisor " We are only sales and as such do not have contact numbers for engineers, if you talk to your customer care rep"

John keane (customer care rep for my hi-speed line) " I have a guy trying to get in contact with the engineers, but the seams to be a brake down of communications between us. He will be getting back on to me today and I shall ring you later on today with the info"

as you can tell he never gets back on to me.
    why should we have to put up with this level of support? and to make things worse the exchange for my work keeps going down to, this really is getting beyond a joke, at first I was ok with what they where telling me "there are no ports left on your Exchange" putting extra ports on an exchange is not that hard it might be about 2-3 hours works for a team of engineers (3 men) so why am I still weighting 4 months later? To make things worse I was talking to an engineer on the leixlip exchange before Xmas, when NTL took out about 50% of the bandwidth to Dublin. This is what he said when I asked him about the ports,

me: I also have one more thing to ask you about

Gerry (engineer): yes

me: I ordered a Hi-speed line a few months ago and have not received it yet, I have been told that there are no ports left on the exchange.

Gerry: there are we put extra ports in not a week ago. I'll see do we have a work order for your line and try and get back out to you this week. it might not be as we are pushed with getting the 50% bandwidth back.

me: that's great thanks very much.

Gerry: ok bye for now

me: bye

right after that phone call I got on to John Keane(see above) and had him send the work order out blind (just to send it even though the system said there are no ports) he said he had did this, and I never heard back from Gerry again. I'm going to try and get in contact with an engineer again today, last time it was using the 1901 number and when I tried this in Tuesday I got the run a round. I'll post back what they say to me.

At this point I will put my name to any protest that you have going about eircom. I also know a lot of ppl that will do the same.
    We really should try do something about this.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

That post could use a thread of its own...

I had the same exact experience mate. Down to a tee - what I want to know is - are eircon not a Telcommunications company??? Why no matter where you ring in that company are you transfered to non existing numbers, left on hold for ever, been told you rang the wrong number when you looked it up in the book or dialed information to get the number in the first place...etc. They have absolutely no communication skills - at all.

But on a side note - I did finally get my ISDN line after a month. You have to get the number for your "local" ISDN engineer. A regular engineer wont do, and an ISDN engineer from the next nearest area wont do either. Get that mobile number and you are in like Flynn.

Hint:
    1. Use an american accent.
    2. Sound like you are older then 21.
    3. Pretend you are a business, or have a business.
    4. Dont take no for an answer when looking for a Supervisor or Engineer's number. But when you get past the muppet - be very patient and friendly with the engineers themselves. **** them off and youll never get it. Like I said there is only one engineer for your house - buy him a beer, fix him a cup of coffee, pay for his childrens education, whatever.

I finally got through to the head engineer in the leixlip exchange, and he was very nice and very helpful. ATM he is doing the site survey(spell?) of the exchange, he told me that he will get back on to me today or tomorrow to arrange a time to set up the line, he even said it might be tomorrow. Which would be nice, but he said I might have to be put on hold to early next week. but this is much better than I was when I made that post

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:

Advertisement