Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL decoder problems

Options
  • 14-02-2002 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all -

I subscribe to NTL on analogue cable in sublin. Recently my decoder has started acting up, in a very annoying way.

The picture keeps encrypting for 5 or 6 seconds, usually when something good is happenin' during a football game!

If the unit is left on for more than a couple of hours, text appears on the screen over the picture. All nonsensical, I might add.
    What is the matter with the decoder, can I do something to it myself? DO not want to call them and be on hold for 20 minutes.

By the way - they seem to be old pace satellite decoders - with the card slot blocked. Am I right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

that used to happen to me, but not as drastic as what you are saying. it just went away after a while anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

If you get alot of crap on the screen -try using the norm button on the remote control - same thing happened me and when i called ntl along time ago- actually was cable link at the time - they said to press the norm button and away it goes and they were rite too. - for a change. as far as i know that is the only way to get rid of that from the screen.

could be wrong ? anyone else know a better way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Are you on MMDS. Is the decoder the old grey one with only 1 scart connection on the back. If so ask them for one of the newer ones the one with 3 scarts on the back although I'm sure these are pretty old tack also. I get the text crap and the encryption from time to time and as has been said pressing norm or changing station usually corrects it although this is still not very acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

have to say i am in agreement - if it is the old grey decoder - get another one - but my guess is you have the black decoder.

i don't think that with the grey decoders you actually have all the writing on the screen - only the black "newer" ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HappyDude

It is a black one - and it is starting to annoy me now!!
    My reception seems to be ok - why is the picture scrambling? DO they send signals down through the picture as they used to do with old Videocrypt scrambling?

Happydude

• Advertisement
Advertisement