Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video cards TV out.

• 14-02-2002 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

Lo All,

I have my tv hooked up to the PC using the TV Out on my GeForce III. Great.

Yet I can't get a video signal? When I go into Display/Settings/Advanced, and choose the device tab there, it allows me two options, Monitor and TV, I choose TV and PAL and stuff, and then apply, monitor goes off, and the TV gives me some mad wavy lines, predominantly black screen with a couple of white lines moving diagonally accross the screen. Audio works fine.

Anyone got any ideas for getting this to work?

Also, I'd like both the tv and monitor to work at the same time, and to be able to pump just the contents of a single window to the tv, as opposed the the entire screen. Any links to net resources, or apps that allow this stuff will be appreciated!

We could probably come up with a list of resources for this stuff that becomes a sticky up top dere?

in short... HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Drop your screen resolution to either 640x480 or 800x600.

It's one of them - can't remember which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

You can't. The GeForce 3 isn't a TwinView card. You have to use one or the other.

edit: 800x600 worked fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dont know if you can output only one screen.. that sounds like multiple monitors and not TV out... doubt you can do it.. as for the wavey lines assuming your tvout is actually working, are you sure you have the right TV funcion selected? Most modern TV's have more than one ext mode! Mine has at least 3.. one for each scart lead (2 of them) and then a third for svideo/composite signals!

For instance if i send to TV using my Radeon VE i may get a sort of very low colour screen when it defaults to av2 but i go again to Y/C (whatever that means) and its fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I have the same about of EXT and stuff on my TV, I'm sure I have the right EXT selected, after all, I'm getting audio on the one I'm using, (and I did actually try them all!).

Shame I can't output to both monitor and TV at the same time using the GeForceIII. :( Was hoping for better.

I've also tried varying resolutions from 640x480 to 1024x768. Nothing seemed to work. Even though the hercules site states that it should work at these resolutions for TV Out.

Anyone use any kinda software for this stuff? apart from vendor specific software, of course, (don't think there's anything for the Hercules Prophet III apart from a twaeker util), especially interested in something that will pump the contents of a window to your TV.

Maybe a winamp visualisation plugin that can be TV Output-ed?

The search continues...

what kind of cable are you using?

• Advertisement

Eh, not really sure exactly what they're called, I'm using a Trust Wireless 100v kit, with a scart connecter on the receiver @ the TV.

From the PC, I have audio and the 'Yellow' thingy *shrug*, SVHS? I think. There's an adapter from the video card TVOut, to kindof a generic yellow plug, onto which the lead from the Wireless Kit goes.

Sorry I can't give anymore detail atm, I'm an amateur at this type of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The prob is not necessarily you Gfx card then from what you've said theres a PC-TV transmitter in the way.
    The lead you've said you're using is Composite video (SVHS is a LOT better (Round DIN), try using it if the transmitter and TV support it (Most TVs can support Svhs through scart, you just need a full 21pin SCART if yours does). Anyway. If you were using SVHS (Y/C) on a system that didnt accept it you would see a stable black and white images, so I dont think thats the problem regardless.
    The problem at hand sounds more like refresh rate, which is set when you selected Pal. Is there also a setting on the TV transmitter? Do you have an option for different types if PAL on the display/tv properties of the card (eg. your TV mightn't like PAL60, 50 is standard).

Basically if none of the above works try plugging your PC directly into the TV and see if it makes a dif....

yeah sounds like a very complicated way of doing things... Composite or S-Video is all thats needed, i doubt your TV has better sound than your computer speakers but if so get a seperate audio cable for it.. the scart converter you are using i would not trust! I have one but dont use it because of that...

Nothing worked for me last night...

Although, if I can find a refresh rate setting for the tv out, that might do the trick. the image I do get on the TV, is black and white, however, just not stable, diagonal lines flying across the screen, but when I move a window around, you can see the change on the lines, so refresh rate is probably it.

Tonight, I'll be trying lots of thing by directly plugging in a portable tv to make sure it works without the wireless kit and with the cabling I have.

...debugging. *shudder*

Luc

Hang on Black and white with wavey lines and sh!t? Sounds like its an NTSC output! I know you said you checked that however on my ATI Radeon the firmware was set to NTSC so i updated it to Pal and that did the trick... could be the same for you! Software may read PAL but the firmware does not!

As for refresh rate.. thats always under adapter but tends not to have an effect on the TV unless you install your monitor as TV then maybe you can but black & white screen is nothing to do with refresh rate!

• Advertisement

Interesting, dunno if there is any firmware updates for my card, or anything, but I'll check later.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is it a standard GeForce 3 or a Ti u have? If its a Ti, have a read of this page, might help but not sure.
    It might also apply to the normal Geforce3, depends on the tv-out chip

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q4/011218/geforce-ti-05.html

Advertisement