Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love songs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Originally posted by freakofnature
    uh, meglome, 'disarm' is not about love, its about bad parenting as far as i can remember. well, i guess thats a kind of love.

Well I like U2, Love is Blindness and So Cruel aswell which as you can guess aren't exactly about love either...sort of twisted love thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

What about " If I was your Girlfriend" by prince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

Jeff Buckley - Lover, you should of come over.

Troi Amos - love song.

blur - Your so great.

Led Zeppelin - Thank you.

Elliot Smith - Say yes.

Archies - You are my candy girl ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Monty Python's - 'Sit on My Face'. You've got to hear all the words. Truly Moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TheVoice

Um
    cherry and set the ray to jerry by the pumpkins are good
    1000 oceans by tori amos
    Pain In My Heart by Otis Redding(mainly coz its on my cd player now)
    Lauryn Hills version of Cant take my eyes off you(?) is good
    Suzanne by weezer
    the aforementioned If i was your girlfriend by Prince and At My Most Beauitful by Rem
    Just Like Heaven by the cure is the ultimate love song i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by TheVoice
    Just Like Heaven by the cure is the ultimate love song i think

What about uh... "Lovesong" then? :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Pete Reed

Lolo, I played "Its the Truth" from the Only ones about three weeks ago on Phantom. Great tune too :). Agreed though, must play some more. Ive only heard "The only ones - the album". Whats the other stuff like Even serpents shine etc like?

Okay, so I stand corrected! I had never heard anyone on Phantom play them. Even Serpents Shine is a kind of Best Of..., it's a good starting point, but the albums themselves are better. The Only Ones Live is great too - incidentally, a lot fo the recordings for it were supplied by Gary Hill who runs Smile Records on Georges St., but he's not credited on it (which was a wee bit unfair).

Extremely underrated band, so many people love Another Girl Another Planet but haven't bothered to check the rest of their stuff out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Prince songs! Good call. Purple Rain!

Then for Irish acts - have to say I almost shed a tear to Brando's "Say You Love me".

Other's to be mentioned: Police - "Every Breath You Take". Yes, it is overplayed, but still a great tune. No one has even mentioned the mass selection of Beatles songs (the list is endless).

Random and obscure love song - "Solace of You" - Living Colour (NY in the house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Shook Me All Night Long : AC/DC

brian.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Originally posted by Lolo

2 questions for ya:

1) Have you *ever* heard the Yo La Tengo version? Also very byootiful.

2) Have you ever heard the Only Ones played on Phantom? (Except 'Another Girl..' which I'm sure they've played even though I've never heard it)

My fave Only Ones love song would be 'Out Their In The Night', written by Peter Perrett for his cat :)
    Anotehr good love-song-for-a-cat is 'Wop-a-Din-Din' of the last Red House Painters album.

I quite like the Yo La Tengo version but I LOVE the Only Ones version. I reckon his delivery is spot on. I only have it on vinyl though and haven't heard it in ages. Its probably on of my favourite songs ever!

My favourite Yo La Tengo cover vesion is probably Daniel Johnstons "Speeding Motorcycle" or "What Can I Say" written by some band I don't know.

My Favourite Red House Painters song is possibly Down Colourful Hill. I wish he'd sing a bit more clearly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

yes,REM's at my most beautiful is my fave type of love song.

though *mahogany*by snow patrol is ...well i can relate to it
    love you Bell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

I count your eyelashes - that line....that was it! i just knew it. remember?! god, the good old days eh?

better than these days.
    much better.

but that was then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Beautiful Freak ...eels
    And Youre so Great , Blur
    Awwwww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dccarm

Don't know how I forgot it before, but 'The Special One' by Ultra Vivid Scene. Phantom should play some Ultra Vivid Scene soon I think too.

Goddammit yes! Even though I won't be in the country to hear it, I heartily endorse any playing of UVS over public airwaves.

While wandering through the design section Victoria & Albert Museum recently, I came across a display of the cover of Joy 1967-1990, complete with notes from Vaughn Oliver. It gave me a warm fuzzy feeling to see one of my favourite (and grossly overlooked by the world at large) albums on display. Sigh.

I have to stop myself form buying copies of UVS albums that I already have when I see them 2nd-hand - I feel sorry for them cause nobody wanted them. I

More great UVS love songs:

Thief's Love Song
    Beauty #2
    A Dream Of Love (not quite a love song, but captures that feeling of exhileration when you've just met someone you fancy like mad)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

While wandering through the design section Victoria & Albert Museum recently
    Whats the score!!!!??? :):) did u see the new quadrated roof on the British Museum yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

My Bloody Valentine - Loomer (or all of Loveless)
    sonic youth - Candle
    The cure - lullaby (i prefer live version)
    Air- All i need
    Velvet underground - femme fatale
    Pixies- Gigantic
    throwing muses - freeloader

Etta james - at last
    Lena Horne- stormy Weather
    Big Star - 13
    Nick Drake - Man in a Shed (this one rules)

thats all i can think of right now

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    better than these days.
    much better.

but that was then...

and this is now. and my feelings haven't changed. i think i have.

you've changed?how do you think you have...(email me,don't post it here)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

Originally posted by Lolo
    I have to stop myself form buying copies of UVS albums that I already have when I see them 2nd-hand - I feel sorry for them cause nobody wanted them.

what are uvs like? what sort of music, etc? i'm bored with what i'm listening to at the moment, and i need more music. perhaps if you could tell me where you saw all those 2nd hand albums ...

Originally posted by o sleep

what are uvs like? what sort of music, etc? i'm bored with what i'm listening to at the moment, and i need more music. perhaps if you could tell me where you saw all those 2nd hand albums ...

In London, unfortunately, but I have seen them around Dublin 2nd hand shops too. Hard to describe UVS - quite melodic yet ****ed up and noisy at times, great lyrics about S&M, mental illness and wanting to be hit by trucks - if you like the JAMC, MBV, early Mercury Rev/ Flaming Lips, they're not a million miles away from any of them. (I've never been good at describing music, which is why I never made it as a music journalist!) There were 3 albums on 4ad, I'd recommend all of them.

Originally posted by dathi1
    Whats the score!!!!??? :):) did u see the new quadrated roof on the British Museum yet?
    Nope, didn't even notice! I ran past the BM in a pissy shower of rain though, I wasn't looking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

They have a song called The Mercy Seat which was pretty good in an anthem kind of way. Wilt of all people recently did a pretty faithful version of it on one of their cd singles.

Not to be confused with Nick Cave of course....

http://www.evo.org/html/group/ultravividscene.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisaq

Oh god, I have so many...
    loadsa dylan songs...
    jeff buckley's lover you should've come over, or practically any of the songs offa grace...
    cyndi laupers time after time...
    thin lizzy's sarah...
    roy orbison's the comedians...
    rolling stones angie...
    U2's with or without you...
    Cradle's Her ghost
    Incubus wish you were here...
    Fuel's Hemmorhage...
    Vertical horizon's you're a god...
    ALice Cooper's POison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lisaq

Oh god, I have so many... loadsa dylan songs... jeff buckley's lover you should've come over, or practically any of the songs offa grace... cyndi laupers time after time and true colours... thin lizzy's sarah and dancing in the moonlight... roy orbison's the comedians, or i drove all night... rolling stones angie... U2's with or without you... Cradle's Her ghost... Incubus wish you were here... Fuel's Hemmorhage... Vertical horizon's you're a god... ALice Cooper's POison... Leonard Cohen's SO long Marrianne... Nine day's story of a girl... Goo goo dolls iris, black balloon... most of there dizzy up the girl album... Jealous sound quiet life...
    Eagles tequilla sunrise... umm... yep...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carobobaline

Definaltly has to be 'Lilac Wine' by Jeff Buckley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭insanebadgergirljess

i love tori amos or jennifer warnes version of 'famous blue raincoat' by leonard cohen. or jeff buckleys version of 'all that i ask' by nina simone.or 'your face' by the frames or 'delicate' by damien rice. damn there are so many

damien rice - cannonball

• Advertisement

quite

Advertisement