Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD recorders?

• 12-01-2001 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

OK

I just want to know about them. Ive seen some on the market for about SG£300/350

Can you get re-writable DVD's. Can you recored your own films if you hav a webcam or a camcorder?

How much space altogether can a DVD hold?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Your piece of string is THIS long.

smile.gif

There are 2 formats really. The official DvD-Ram, which is not compatible with your normal DVD player. So recording movies and bunging them into your home cinema system is a no-no. You could link the PC with the DVD-Ram drive to your TV and just play the MPEG-2 file back as you would any other media on your PC.
    DVD;s come in 4 flavours.
    Single Sided - 4.7Gb
    Single Sided Dual Layer - 8.7Gb
    Double Sided - 9.4Gb
    Double Sided, Dual Layer - 17.4Gb

AFAIK DVD-ram only comes as 5.2 and 8.7 (And this one is in a cartridge).
    You can pick up the disks anywhere, even Tower records have them(or had a few months ago). But they're not as cost-effective as just using normal CDR's.
    You could always backup your movies to MPEG4 instead and play them on a normal CD, with nay too much quality loss (Have a look a www.tomshardware.com for some relevant links on how to do this)

There is a newer 'un-official' (Ie. Hollywood don't like it). Called DVD Re-Writable. Same idea but this is aimed at letting you create disks that will work in any DVD drive. Last time I looked the burner was ~3000 quid. Dabs have one for sale if you're still interested, though I don't have a clue where you'd get the media.

There are handicams in development with DVD-Ram drives built in. I think the first one just appeared but it only has USB. You really want Firewire (Or USB2 when it appears later this year).

Choose Witches over Mermaids every time, 'cos Mermaids they don't fly....

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 12-01-2001).]

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm nm

[This message has been edited by OJ (edited 13-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    hmm
    I saw a DVD writable rom for £29/£39
    </font>

How can it be writable if its a rom you muppet

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

OJ I'd say that was once-writeable media... not the rewritable DVD media CreeD mentioned...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ahh sorry my mistake
    heh

• Advertisement
Advertisement