Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a new pc

• 08-01-2001 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

my friend went out to dixions and bought a pc ( obvisulally dident hear the nightmare stories i have been telling about them ) well a cople of things were wrong with the pc he was given the wrong os ( 98se instead of me ) no cd for the os . the wrong sise monoter 15" instead of 17" no priner cable . also for those who were wondering about the computer that some people bought off dixions and were going to court about it they gave the money back to the people

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Microsoft don't give out cd's anymore with the OS on it. To individual consumers anyway.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yup, its going to be locked to your individual machine, by checking the bios id string. That can be modified of course......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What's "wrong" with Win98? (Apart from it being Windoze in the first place obviously.) Windows Me is essentially a stripped down Windows 98. In fact it was the interesting stuff they took out of 98, like the network tools and that. Preferring Me to 98 is like preferring a car without air conditioning to one with it. (Obviously if you're running Windoze, that car is a frequently crashed Skoda.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

was in dub today and decided to call into them with my friend to get the stuff. he asked what about when he wants to format his hard disk what will he do or if there is a majour problom with the os . and the sales person said " the hard disk should have a partition on it and the windows files will never be tampered with because of this" and
    even if there is a problom with the os u have a 3 1/2" floppy disk that u can boot up from and fix all probloms inc reloading the os "

at that point i was thinking 3 things
    muppet
    im going to hit you people like you make people scared to use computers
    and finaly
    what bloody compresion did you use to put the 400 meg os onto a floppy

bloody muppets the lot of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by elexes:

what bloody compresion did you use to put the 400 meg os onto a floppy

bloody muppets the lot of them

</font>

ROFLMBO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

First of all, what kind of machine was it?

I'm assuming it's a Packard Bell. I'm psychic you see.

I'm also assuming it's one of the new Packard Bells.. the iConnect, iMedia or iExtreme.

If that is the case, the machine has a non-Dos partition with the OS and all other preloaded bits and pieces in there. The partition is usually about a gig.

Basically, with the Packard Bells you need the red boot floppy to restore the machine. If you also have a CDRW in there you can actually make a set of Master CDs just in case the HD dies on you. I would recommend you do that the first chance you get.

It sounds like the Sales Advisor did tell you the truth; but it was probably his own second-hand version of it. Since most of the Sales Advisors in Dixons wouldn't know their ****-stained hand from their ********.

One more question... why the hell did he buy it in Dixons? Has he never heard of PC World? At least they have a better idea of PCs in there... and a more decent range.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ehhe nice bit of advert there kegs wink.gif
    yeah on my new pc I've got WinME
    but I also got a letter saing that due to the microsoft aggreement they are not allowed to give out any windowsME cd's anymore its all on my HD with my cdkey on the back of ym box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

no computers from dixons come with printer cables. should have been mentioned wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

NOBODY EVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM DIXONS

i used to work there and it is the biggest scamming store in history. i actually left because it was so unethical. i am not kidding when i say that the staff receive NO TRAINING WHATSOEVER except in how to pretend you know what you are talking about. the insurance that they sell you is also way more expensive than normal insurance where you could just put the item under your household contents insurance. they sell old ladies insurance for £20 on radios that cost £15, etc.

at one time there was a scam going where if somebody bought a disc man, say, and they bought the insurance, the insurance would be for a mini disc. when they had a problem with the discman and returned they would be told - "Eh - this insurance is for a mini disc. We really can't help you."

this was years ago and does not go on anymore, by the way.

the pep talks in the morning before work consisted of "IF THEY AREN'T BUYING, DON'T TALK TO THEM." we were ordered to ignore people who wanted info, only to talk to people with money in hand and intentions of buying.

they treat the staff really badly by the way (crap pay, crap commission, no perks, no air conditioning). BOYCOTT!!

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

eh cant believe someone in here is promoting pc-world. bad form, even if you work there. pc-world = dixons = currys. They are all part of the one company. Their service might vary slightly, but they all sell **** pc's, and they dont have a clue what they are talking about. I have heard about their pep-talks before, and can well believe how bad they are. I'm gonna go in their in future with a load of cash in my hand and see if they talk to me. It sickens me how many people get ripped off by them every day. Basically the Packard Bell machines are a load of crap. Don't ever buy from the above stores.

elexes: in fairness, they told you the truth, to the letter. Maybe they didnt understand fully what they were saying, and maybe they wouldnt have been able to give you a better explanation, but they were correct. You were just too quick to jump to conclusions. Its strange that a dixons employee actually knew something, but they did, so accept it.

as for win me, dahamsta is right, 98 is better. Me is slower, and buggier. The best option would be to use win2k, by far microsofts best product.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks for the vote of confidence Gerry, but I wasn't saying it was better, but that they're the same thing, the only difference being that they took things like the network tools out of Me. Windows 98 is a chunk of sh1t too. Soon as Linux office apps mature, I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

me goes off to friends computer to look for all non dos partitions

Yeah, win98 is an absolute pile of crap. Sad that they managed to make it worse with me. I would say though, that win2k is a good, stable os.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

i second gerry

OS:[Windows 2000 Professional, Service Pack 1 (5.0 - 2195)] Uptime:[4d 6h 45m 15s] CPU Info[1-Intel Pentium III, 935MHz] Mem[Usage: 87/128MB (67.97%)*[|||||||---]]

nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

OS:[Windows 3.11 l33t ha><or, Service Pack 65 (5.0 - 567)] Uptime:[6y 7d 3h 15m 61(!)s] CPU Info[1-AMD Moron, 666GHz] Mem[Usage: 3/128MB RAM II(73.3%) [|||||||---]]

Stable, fast, pretty.

If it wasn't aganist GOD'S LAW id make this OS my wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

you lie Mullen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

The lol factor has reached 8 mullen.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Well, I am at my funniest at 9 in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

[winME Athlon 750Mhz 256mb ram/ 0 free 0% free.] [will not run anything at all] [uptime 2mins:1sec:2ms] [fatal crash]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Yes, Packard Bells suck.

However this reputation that PC World has at any rate isn't well deserved.

People who work their are the same as people everywhere else; they're trying to make a living.

And what exactly did you hear about these so-called 'pep-talks'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement