Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favorite Windoze!

• 15-02-2002 2:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Look, I'm sorry, ok, it just had to be done. It's nothing to do with my Linux fetish, I just reckon we've all totally lost the head over Windows at some time or other, and we need to be allowed vent. I choose Windows 95 by the way, because I've been lucky enough to have never suffered at the hands of Windows Me. The name alone made me wanna womit.

Oh, and...

heh

adam

What Windows do you Hate 116 votes

Windows 3.11 (or earlier)
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 95
    10% 12 votes
    Windows 98
    13% 16 votes
    Windows 98 SE
    6% 7 votes
    Windows ME
    6% 8 votes
    Windows NT (All versions)
    43% 50 votes
    Windows 2000 Professional
    1% 2 votes
    Windows XP
    6% 7 votes
    Windows.Net (or other future Windows malarky)
    12% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Get this boards purpose straight ...
    This is NOT repeat NOT a stomping ground for fanboys who want to wah about how MS are a giant evil empire run by blood drinking lizards.

Any dumb "My Os is Better then Your OS" arguments are you be STAMPED ON HARD, mods. Then I'll ban their asses.

This board is for the discussion of new releases, problems, requests for help and general chat about apps that run on the MS Windows platform.

Take your lapel mounted chips elsewhere.
    *growl*

DeV.

just a reminder to some fokes, Typedef i think you know why i did that.

ps i hate polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I think I know why too, because you can.

Like I was attempting to say before I got deleted by the thought police was, I think that windows 95 is my least favorite version of windows. Or in fact any version based on the 9x kernel (if that's allowed). It would be nt because I have a machine in work that is running with the free system pte problem and on drivers that are relatively 'old' ie the intel 81x chipset graphics drivers, which should not be causeing that sort of bsod, especially on an os that is meant to be stable, which would have made me dislike nt, but nothing could make me dislike any os more than windows 95.

Your least favorite Windoze!:
    Like I say my least favorite version of windows is windows 95 because I think it is extremely unstable.

Go ahead find something ot about this.
    I find it abit absurd to be edited for responding to the topic of the thread but, I suppose it's about the only way microsoft can quell the tides of anti-microsoft sentiment against them /i guess\.

I only deleted yours, i dont think i can delete another mods post anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I can't believe ME is not running away With the title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

LAF LAF ! True...

...and erm why aint 3.0 up there? :) remember? trying to get setup a modem and Netscape and also soundcard if not SB-compatible?

...and dont even remind me about IRQ steering? whats that now? :)

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    I can't believe ME is not running away With the title!

Its starting to now..

Umm Windows 95 was not that bad! I installed it there a year ago or more.. got sick if win98 (before SE came out) crashiung on me. So i format and stuck on 95.. wow it installed in less than 3 mins and took up 68mb of space! Worked a charm.. even my usb Joypad worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

USB in 95 - properly - that is a challange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I hate Win ME, keeps crashing on my machine at home so use Xp to support my raid setup - works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Regardless of how much hassle I got out of 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 or 95, most of the hassle I got from them was when trying to install stuff that it hadn't been designed for. eg installing a v.92 compatible modem, made in 2001, onto a Win95 machine.
    I have never used ME, but a friend has had no end of trouble with it. Crashes on a daily basis, and because it's a compaq machine, WinME has full control over the system, so it has to be physically unplugged to reset it. :rolleyes: Obsolute shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've never had a WinME system either. But after seeing how bad it is on other peoples computers it gets my vote.

Win 3.1 was ok at the time.

Win 95 is outdated but at the time it wasn't too bad. And apart from some occasional co-operative shceduling lockups it still does the job.

Win 98 was an improvement over win 95

Win 98 SE made Win 98 more stable.

Every other MS OS in some way improved/changed something. All ME did was keep the MS dev costs down by modifying the old crap.

I use Win2kpro and you won't hear many complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

win me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Gods! Like I said, I've never used Windows Me, and I have to say, I'm now counting my blessings. Is it really /worse/ than Windows 95? It must be AWFUL!!

adam

i used it once, it was the quickest format i ever did. the guys in tower records werent to happy though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

ME.

Win98 is bad enough, but imagine a version of 98 that crashes even more...

XP is so much better, yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If ME has one redeaming feature its the system restore and the system file protection.. all of which XP has though in a much more stable Kernel so go XP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Me is lovely if u know how to work it, had least problems with it as an OS :)

XP is nice, I don't like 2k, as it doesn't support alot of peripherals properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

3.0 needs its own category.

Not going to vote for 3.0 under the 3.11 banner as I liked that one (went for ME instead)

No need for new listings for 2.0 & 1.0

3 lives in a land of its own though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

ME, it has given more problems than any other os i've used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Windows ME is my most hated of all OS's.. and yes adam, I did vomit at the thought of using it precisely 2 weeks after installing it.

Luckily enough I'm now on Windows XP Pro, which is better on all accounts.

winodws 2k pro, sp2 as solod and as stable as you can get, ive no doubt eventually ill update to winXp but not the current version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

haven't used ME so i voted NT for general ickyness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

win 3.1

I loved trying to configure sound cards and modems and everything, I loved putting in the time in setting them up .....

Oh...the 14.4 modem looking at web pages.....

Sniff....I miss it so much.....

Like Fock I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Intensely disliked ME. Bastid OS of MS.

Voted Xp os it just annoys the shíte out of me with its skins and resource hogging.
    I had a perfectly stable and functional Win95 Machine running for ages. Was solid like a rock.
    Now have a win98SE box serving the same purpose, fairly stable for the few apps/mp3s/games I run on it, but no charmer.
    Win2k is class.
    NT is just clunky and awkward.

I have some MSDN betas of stuff at home. XP Adv. Server and stuff. Haen't bothered to try em out yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

couldn't stand ME.
    It likes to blue screen a lot...on my system at the time which like others was the quickest reformat ever, I took a look at the os and didn't like the look of it to start with, then an hour later it kept blue screening so I formatted and stuck 98se back on, I still use it now but I'll be upgrading to 2k as soon as I bother me bum. I'm not mad about XP and it's resource hogging either, 2k sp2 for me all the way, a clear winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, but it has much the same GUI look and feel (from what ic an remmeber of breifly using ME)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

Digital Rights Management, Root access to your machine and other such big-brother type activities which being sold as "consumer oriented advantages (read big-biz control)"

It's all on the Reg Windows Palladium. I think ppl should know not to accept what's gonna (eventually) happen!

If you look really really carefully, the latest service packs have text stating essentially, that you give M$ the right to check files on your computer for updates, and install files to observe copyright restrictions (DRM) etc etc.

It's MY computer, and MY property! I will do WHAT I want with it!

So there!

Palladium's a few years off tho, TFFT.

Just read those EULAs!

Just my 2c

Having said all that, I'm happy with Win98se, win2k looks better, and I don't think I'd bother with XP ;

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

Microsofts new product will contain the best features from Windows Ce, Windows Me, and Windows NT, for short it will be called: Windows CeMeNT, solid as a ROCK!

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

3.1 : I did most things through DOS anyway, so Windows didn't concern me too much, also I wasn't into OS-tweaking at the time. Also, I didn't know any better, so 3.1 seemed the best OS going at the time.

95 : Solid as a rock any time I used it, no matter how much I messed around with it (within reason). The only reason I upgraded to 98 was because my network card refused to work (worked fine under 98). Probably so stable because there wasn't as much that could go wrong.

NT : Even more stable than 95, the seperate process threading was a godsend. Mmm, Task Manager. Useless for games etc, not a suitable home OS, but these are not valid arguments against it as an OS as it's aimed at servers and workstations.

98 : It was generally fine on my home computer (both editions), but when I saw how badly it coped with heavy use (in work) I saw what a pile of sh1te it actually is.

ME : A sour first experience put me off at first, but when I installed it myself it was fine - I actually preferred it to 98 (OMG etc). Until I again saw the problems with heavy use...

2000 : Oh baby.

XP : See 2K, but prettier.

In conclusion, WinOS of choice: XP. Most hated: 98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Nearly 50% voted for windows ME? Oh! The Mongery! Definately my least favourite. It added absolutely nothing new to 98, in either functionality or aesthetics..yet Microsoft still people to pay, what? €70, or so, just to have a prettier name? Millenium Edition my bollocks.

Who wins the XP/2k battle? hard to say..I had to go through 4 seperate modems before I got one to work with XP where they previously worked with 2k. XP doesnt like old hardware it seems, but it sure is purtyer! ;)

XP it is then...feck off ME fags :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Any technical user who knows the windows 2000 architecture and has used it
    knows win2k is king for stability and speed..
    winxp was built off the win2k architecture but
    requires at least 700mhz cpu for minimum performance..

winme is without doubt worst

Advertisement