Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favorite Windoze!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Windows ME! :eek: God, even the thought of it makes me want to puke! What an absolute steaming pile of dogsh*t that thing is. Definitely has to be the worst OS.

Never had too many problems with Windows 95. Same goes for 98 SE (98 original was full of bugs, though, and did give me some grief). Win 2K just blew me away for speed and stability when it came out. Only used it a few times but never, ever had a single problem with it. I'm on XP Home at the moment and have very little trouble with it. Stable, fast and nice to look at, though it is a resource hog if you're trying to run it on a slower system (I'm on a P4 1.8 so no probs here!).

Worst OS? ME wins that, hands down. Best? Hard choice between 2K and XP but 2K just wins it by a nose for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

It is what it's.

Originally posted by tactical anni
    I'm not mad about XP and it's resource hogging either, 2k sp2 for me all the way, a clear winner :)

Ya know SP3 is out?

Is there a particular reason for not going with SP3 if you do know bout it? <cough>

Thought I was the only one to go stick with SP2!

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I voted future OS.
    Generally because of the introduction of TCPA and Microsofts Palladium... as mentioned above its going to eliminate piracy and any privacy that you have.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html for full information on what it will mean.
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/4193833.htm for Apples stance against DRM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Judas Priest, talk about draggin up old posts!

adam

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

digging up old posts??? It's only 2 days old!

Look a little higher Dave.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Win2k Professional (SP2) is the best OS out there. Don’t like SP3, too much 'calling home' in it, like XP in general. XP looks for too much power from the CPU so it’s a nono for now at least.

If I'm advising clients on what kind of OS/Network setup they should have, its gota be win2k server with 2000 professional as workstations.. server and workstations SP2 .... no need to change until necessary.. so so stable when you have it setup right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Even tho Windows .Net server is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

cant comment on a 'future version' as I've obviously no experience of it...

therefore... it's clearly.. Windows Me.

The most bug ridden piece of Microsoft cack it's ever been my misfortune to install on a PC of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Why the winME haters. It's more stable than win95 right?

I doubt it's more stable. It's essentially Win95 with various features, integrations and <ahem> improvements hacked on (as was the case with Win98, 98SE, and subsequently WinME).

Win95 was the most stable of all (non NT) OSes, completely due to the reason that it has less features and compatibility than all the rest.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i was planning on standing up for '98, but my fecking install has already come to the end of its short life after 25 days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've seen a Win ME installation that died without anyone doing anything on it after 10 minutes, machine is now win 2k sp3 and has not crashed in a few months... speaking from a work point of view I have had dealings with all the heavy duty OS's (win nt4 enterprise server / win 2k server / advanced server / data centre server) and they all run sweet (cant do much with the data center server ... I'd be crippled by any amount of different people if that machine went down :eek:) ... ... have never / dont want to use xp any flavour ... dont have any server versions anyway ... or is there?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oculusdei

.NET Server will be released beginning of next year apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Windows XP, reminds me of something Tomy would make

If they did they'd call it "My first Operating System" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Windows XP, reminds me of something Tomy would make

If they did they'd call it "My first Operating System" :D

Don't be silly - that's the Mac - round and chunky and safe. I'm sure XP still has plenty of jagged edges and small pieces for your computer to choke on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

98 sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

98se...

OMG, I'll restrain myself this time

ME is bad but not *as* bad

--
    Win2k is prolly my fav- I've gone weeks w/o a reboot :)

Advertisement