Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN with NTL

• 12-01-2001 6:36pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I recently got Ntl 2 way network put in my house,
    the one line for the internet you know the usualy, the dialup for the internet is free
    I was wonder is it possible to get ISDN on this ?
    if so could someone recamend me to some sites that sell ISDN's boxes or places
    thanks

:Oj:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

What about their cablemodem service?

BTW, where are you located (roughly)?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Kingswood, Tallght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'm fairly sure that ntl started rolling out cable in tallaght. If you just have their dialup service, no you wont be able to use it as isdn. It takes equipment on their end as well as yours for isdn to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

2 way network.....Hmmmmmmm...... I have ISDN, swap houses/flats?.... wink.gif

Get cable ya fool, that's what the 2way is for... smile.gif. Unless you don't like download rates of ~60-70k/s.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yeah but if you think
    60-70kb is total sh|te
    and I don't have the money for cable yet ..
    I owe money alreadys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

cable is about 4-8 times better then ISDN and lots cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Er OJ, you know I mean Kilo-BYTES, not Kilo-bits right?
    Your modem is 56k-bits. ie. 7 Kilo-BYTES per second (And not even really that). Cable download speeds, as reported by Sev previously, are 10 times this .

For games it seems to have about the same latency as ISDN, but for downloads there's no comparison.

ReaveR.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

a cable modem gives you more bandwidth than most internet cafes have for 10-20 computers. You get charged local call rate for isdn, the ta would cost 70 quid at least, and ntl dont do isdn, so get the cable and shutup.

Advertisement