Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comms Bill- ODTR Article Irish Indo- 14/02/02

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

Another ODTR article in this weeks business and finance here (not sure if theres a more permanent link)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

It strikes me that the DSL rollout is stuck due to the eircom pricing demonstrating "margin squeeze". But this is a direct result of the telco owning the ISP.

What is the big problem with forcing eircom to divest eircom.net? It is patently obvious that eircom.net has an unacceptable advantage over all other ISPs. Why would anyone be so naive as to think eircom would treat an ISP it owns no differently from those it competes against?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Fergus
    It strikes me that the DSL rollout is stuck due to the eircom pricing demonstrating "margin squeeze". But this is a direct result of the telco owning the ISP.

What is the big problem with forcing eircom to divest eircom.net? It is patently obvious that eircom.net has an unacceptable advantage over all other ISPs. Why would anyone be so naive as to think eircom would treat an ISP it owns no differently from those it competes against?

If you wnt to go on that tack-it would have been better if the infrastructral and retail sides of Eircom had been separated.
    Customers are looking for integrated telephony/internet solutions so your suggestion may not be practical

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by jd
    If you wnt to go on that tack-it would have been better if the infrastructral and retail sides of Eircom had been separated.
    Customers are looking for integrated telephony/internet solutions so your suggestion may not be practical

Indeed... The way i see it, the best way forward would be for the governement to split off all of eircoms infrastructure into an entirely seperate entity. Your then left with a company that provides entirely equal access to the infrastructure to everyone, and "Eircom" as just another OLO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What is the big problem with forcing eircom to divest eircom.net?

Well, we all know I don't have a problem with it, but you can be sure Eircom would. The question is though, is there any organisation in Ireland with the authority and/or power to do it? The only organisation that would seem to have the authority would be the Competition Authority, but do they have the power? In a country of Ireland's size, this would be a case of Microsoft antitrust scale. And it would take as long...

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement