Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ntoskrnl.exe error

• 15-02-2002 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I get this error when I turn on my machine:

"ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt and re-install copy of this file to root/.../winnt32"

Someone said I could mount the drive differently, no idea how to do this. I cant run ERD or repair console and I've looked at boot.ini and its fine.

The killer thing is its a laptop and I can only have a floppy drive or a cd-rom drive.

I'm tempted to dump it in the Liffey as its wrecking my head.

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I take it you are using windows 2000?
    This goes for any NT based OS, 2000 included.
    Required startup files are missing or damaged, or entries in the Boot.ini are pointing to the wrong partition.
    Windows NT could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \<winnt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    This problem usually occurs because the BOOT.INI file points to the wrong location for the Windows NT operating system. Of course, if your BOOT.INI file looks correct, it's always possible that your NTOSKRNL.EXE file really is corrupt.

The next message you may see is:
    I/O Error accessing boot sector file
    Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1):\bootsect.dos
    This error indicates that the BOOT.INI file either points to the wrong location for the BOOTSECT.DOS file or that the BOOTSECT.DOS file is corrupt.

The final message you may see is the following:

OS Loader V4.00
    Windows NT could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check the Windows NT documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.
    This message means that the location BOOT.INI points to doesn't contain a valid file system—at least, not one that Windows NT can read. This error can be caused by an incorrect location specified in BOOT.INI.

For example, if the BOOT.INI file points to a volume that's unformatted, you'll receive this error. It can also be caused by a crashed hard disk, or a hardware-implemented RAID device that's dropped off-line.

Advertisement