Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Chorus ?

Options
  • 15-02-2002 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

I have recently had my chorus disconnected (i.e. They came and took away my decoder box)

I don't think they did anything else, as in cut any wires.

I dont ahave an aerial on my roof as the whole estate is cabled from one aerial up the road.

If I got my hands on a decoder box similar to the one I had, would I be able to receive the channels again ?

If so, can you buy these decoders anywhere ?

Thanks in advance,

Aodhan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

me thinks if that was the case
    dear old chorus wouldnt make any money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I'm not concerned whether or not chorus are making money - I'm more concerned as to whether I can save some !

Does anyone KNOW that this is not possible and why ?

Cheers,

V10 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i dont give a flying flock about chorus either
    does anybody here have chorus? get the make and model of your stb and post it up here.
    its a start anyway, at least we will know what to look for
    the previous occupants of my house had chorus, and chorus left the cables etc behind, so i use their old cables to get the rtes and tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I had a look into the chorus decoders before, they use an encyption technique called suppressed sync. What happens is a data stream is transmitted along with the picture and if your decoder has been authorised to receive the channel, it'll use the data to reinsert the appropriate sync.

When you look at one of the channels you'd think it was easy to crack it, but since the sync continually changes it's not. AFAIK it's never been cracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There were some hacked decoders a few years back. They set up a sting to catch those with the hacked boxes. They had a channel setup with "free t shirt just call 1800 xxxx xxxx and leave your name and address. The only thing they got was a knock on the door from the cops with a search warrant :)

Never heard about them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

I had a look into the chorus decoders before, they use an encyption technique called suppressed sync. What happens is a data stream is transmitted along with the picture and if your decoder has been authorised to receive the channel, it'll use the data to reinsert the appropriate sync.

When you look at one of the channels you'd think it was easy to crack it, but since the sync continually changes it's not. AFAIK it's never been cracked.

It might be an urban myth but a friend told me that there is someone in Cork City who will 'fix' your Chorus box to receive all the premium channels for a small fee. Apparently someone visits your house, does something simple to the box and you get all the channels?

Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have 2 old chorus decoders(which they forgot !!!!to take away).Last time I checked you could buy a blank eeprom?? chip and use that to decode the channels.Im not sure of all the details but if I can remember correctly it was available from a crowd in the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

me thinks if that was the case dear old chorus wouldnt make any money

Blessing in disguise then, eh?

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Please dont ask for Boards.ie to assist you in ripping someone off. Even if it is Chorus.

Thread closed.

DeV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I refer all posters to this topic to the forum rules:

DON'T discuss hacking systems.

Or any other illegal activities for that matter. Thread remains closed, and please don't start a new one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement