Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Card (again)

• 12-01-2001 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Geforce 2 Ultra

500 odd quid but what the hell it is the best.

if thats a bit rich try a geforce 2 MX and after that a ge force (1) DDR it rocks.

P.S. get some 133 MHz SDRAM for that motherboard and tweak the bios, it was made for tweaking }:-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

I picked up an 32mb ddr asus geforce mx from scan for £85 stg. Certainly the best budget option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Ultra's are 64 mb only.
    But if you are in that price range try the slightly slower, cheaper PRO. They overclock very nicely to near Ultra speeds.

If you're going to be running Hi-res a Geforce-1 DDR might be a better option that a 2-MX. The mem bandwidth on the MX is lower than the 1-ddr, and this is a crippler for both cores.
    The G-2 MX has more features though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

geforce2 gts is about £240 from me... not a budget card but is closer to an ultra than it is to the mx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thanks for the replies so far. The budget I'm working to is between £100 to £150 for the card. What do you guys think of the Creative Labs range of cards, what are they like for updates etc. (if my memory is working correctly I believe they are not the best for driver updates). Btw just as I don't waste anyones time I do work for a reseller so I will be buying the card trade.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

You don't need to use Creative drivers, just get the Nvidia reference drivers, a new version of their Detonator drivers was released recently. You won't be able to use the special board features then though. Creative are grand imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im using a creative tnt2 m64 at the moment.
    and very nice it is too.
    and since its now officially last generation hardware, you should see people letting them go cheap as the rush for the most expensive cards out there, you know the types. have to have at least 3 extra fps in the brown shade game smile.gif

OK as I'm too lazy to check back on the posts here. What is the best recommended 32MB Graphics card for gaming, its going to be used in my new system which will be an Athlon 1Ghz on a KT&-RAID mobo.

Thanks,

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Have you ever played Q3 at 1600x1200@32 with no slowdown (or 800x600 with FSAA)....It's fn gorgeous.

Or TFC/CS at 1024x768@32 with 2x2 Full Screen AA?

You may pay silly money for some of the higher Pro/Ultra cards but you do get a very nice performance jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Up for grabs, little used Creative Labs GeForce2 GTS and will throw in unused fully boxed copy of "Deus Ex". Will take min £150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

by the way, my card is just 99 quid in game. so its very cheap for compard to what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

go for the bforce 2 mx
    good value for the price you pay
    its what i have and it does the job well enough.
    ive a 1 gig harddrive as well and it works great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Finally upgrading my PC starting with a geforce 2 ultra 64 ddr

Thanks lads I'll probally go for the Elsa geforce2 MX.

WWman why would I be buying it in game if I can buy trade. Here hows things out ine the "Meat Factory" they started culling yet or what ?

Gandalf.

Advertisement