Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think that a new government is a good idea?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by smiles
    Thanks for the rephrasing. Still doesnt make sense. My rephrasing: How did the government deliberatly deprive inner city schools?
    It didn't, thats why I rephrased. Policy moved people out of the city centres from 1930-1990, creating a doughnut effect. Education funds were then spent duplicating education infrastructure. Teh objective was not to deprive schools, but that was the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I'm glad to see that ppl can express what they think is politically correct and that this thread is not as boring as was first asserted....:D :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

This is probably my longest thread but seriously don't preach or criticise some1 else just because to you they're politically incorrect. I permit debating, but no slagging just because they love Bertie! I suppose that he isn't doin to bad, others wud probably do much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by SHAMAN
    This is probably my longest thread but seriously don't preach or criticise some1 else just because to you they're politically incorrect. I permit debating, but no slagging just because they love Bertie! I suppose that he isn't doin to bad, others wud probably do much worse.

If I am criticising someone it's not intended as a personal comment, i tend to debate things because they usually need to be, not for any personal reasons. :)

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Originally posted by Ri-ra
    I'm still unsure how people can assert that the Irish education system is "unrivalled." Having experienced foreign education systems, I would have to say that the Irish system leaves a great deal to be desired.

Education is crying out for money, and spending money on it would certainly go a long way toward improving it. Where that money would come from is another matter. A governmental rethink on education is long overdue.

I agree. I sit through the governments pathetic education system everyday. The whole system should be changed, teachers can not get through to students at all. It's just so sad and half the teachers think that they are making us into lovely children but when you get to see things from my view, as another student, it is failing so badly. Most students don't think morally at all and have no knowlege of the world around them. I'd label 20% of them as seriously unfit to be called people. Although there is a minority of roughly 20% which are really nice people, the rest are alright.

If we want a happy utopia land we need a better education system but since that will obviously fail I shall return to my quest for chocolate and anime dvd's. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Ri-ra
    I'm still unsure how people can assert that the Irish education system is "unrivalled."

Only spotted this now. This is a mis-nomer. While the Irish system does generally provide the majority with a good overall education to age 18, this is because we typically take 6-8 subjects to Leaving Cert. In the UK I understand that people would typically only do 3-4 A-levels. teh irish sytem is eduction in breadth not depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I'd have preferred depth at the time. But in retrospect, breath is a far better way of doing things... A far broader outlook on education. Plus, what you want to do at 17 is not necessarily what you'd want to do at 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Ri-Ra:

I would probably on reflection have to admit thaat my views on Irish schools are slightly biased, as i have had relatively good luck in getting teachers tht know the material off by heart nearly, thanks to private education.

As for 3rd level, i have absolutely no points that i can argue there, due to no experience. (still in Secondary education)

Advertisement