Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem resolving ip's in winxp

Options
  • 15-02-2002 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

I've been having problems with my internet connection. Wondering if anyone can help me here.

The problem began when I turned on my pc to find that i couldn't open any programs at all exept task manager. Thinking i had a virus i booted up winxp in safe mode to see if i could connect to the housecall antivirus. I still couldnt open any programs so i did the antivirus through win98. It found nothing. I then booted winxp in safe mode again and managed to fiddle about so that i could open programs again.

The problem seems to be fixed untill i tryed to connect through winxp. It connected allright but I couldnt open any pages. Irc was telling me it couldn't create socket. Ipconfig tells me nothing - Just says "windows ipconfig" and goes back to c:\. When i ping an address it tells me that the ip cannot be resolved. I tried netshop, boards and a few others but nothing. I then tryed to refresh my list of servers in Half-life and strangely enough, it could ping the servers but could not connect to the authentication server to connect.

Basically, I can connect to the isp (I tried a few eircom, oceanfree, indigo) but I can't resolve any ip's using command promt. I don't have a firewall and i've tryed two modems, reinstalled the drivers from scratch and upgrade installed winxp again.

I can connect fine with windows 98 which I am dual booting atm.

Specs are:
    amd 1800+ xp
    epox 8kha+
    256mb ddr
    asuscom pci p-in100 isdn modem
    gf3 ti-200
    running on winxp pro

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

OK fiddled, got somewhere.

I'm now able to resolve ip's and ipconfig is working. Hurrah. but i still get 'page cannot be displayed' in iexplorer and 'unable to create socket' in mIRC. And now I don't know where to go. I don't even know what I could fiddle with as I'm pretty sure I've fiddled with all the settings I know of.

Help?

God, can no-one help me?

I'm sure it's some simple setting I have or some small problem.

No one have any tips as to finding what the actual problem is or anything?

No one? ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If you can ping an IP address at least there's some life in the connection. Have you tried pinging a URL? e.g www.boards.ie If you get something like 'unknown host' you might just need to enable the DNS for your ISP.
    Also, have you tried to access a webpage via it's IP address? Putting 195.218.115.65 into IE's address bar should load up boards.ie
    Another thing to check is if you have a proxy server enabled in internet options, that can sometimes cause problems.

I can ping a url alright and i can't get the ip to work in ie.

So I can ping everything fine but my IE won't do anything. And irc is still giving the "cannot create socket" error.

I'm not using a proxy.

And my dns servers are on automatic. Is there 1 i could use for my isp alone? I'm on eircom. And oceanfree sometimes.

Is that what the problem is? Dns servers?

XP's firewall maybe? If you can ping the url there's no need to enable the dns. If IE isn't loading a web page via the IP you could try resetting the security settings etc etc and running the repair.

• Advertisement

Yea none of that works either.

I think it may be a problem with my winsock. I tryed a couple of things with it and found that after renaming my winsock dll's in win98 the exact same thing was happening to ie in win98. Unfortunately, winsock is different in windows xp and I can't for the life of me find any info on it.

Maybe i might post this thread again as there doesn't seem to be many even looking at the thread.

And I'll post it in msapps board.

Thx for the help anyway.

One thing I forgot about, did you try running the sfc command (system file checker) to see if that picks up any corruptions?

Advertisement