Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection Problem

Options
  • 15-02-2002 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    For the past 4 months or so i have had a problem with my internet connection.Basicaly every few minutes it hangs from anything from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
    I have tried reinstalling my modem, different service providers diagnostic problems etc but nothing i have done has solved the problem.
    If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

what os?
    what modem?
    did you add anything?
    did you change anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

have you tried actually taking your puter to another house ? that will help determing that it is NOT your PC

have tried asking Eiron for a Line Check. give em some guff bout poor sound quality when on the blower. DO NOT SAY that you can connect on the net, as you wont get much help after that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Windows ME
    The modem is a lucent technologies winmodem
    No hardware or software has been added in that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

lucent technologies winmodem

nuff said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually - the lucent winmodem is quite good as long as you use software mode on it.

Modem Properties/connection tab/advanced

Put AT&FX into the extra settings (innit string) and switch from hardware flow control to software (XON/XOFF). The innit string above enables software flow control. Turn your maximum speed to 57600.

It should connect much better and you should have about as stable a 56k as you can get. As long as its the modem that is causing the problems and not the line. (If you are getting noise on the line then that will be the problem)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

lol Clown Man,
    I tried that string and look what happened!
    connection2.jpg
    If only it were true :)

Yea thats why you have to turn it down to 57600. It will always connect at what you tell it to and will try to stay there. Obviously it will not get far with 115200 so turn it down and it should be nice and stable. It connects at one max speed given by the software - namely 57600. Of course the max speed means very little but its working from the one set piece of software rather than trying to decide on connecting.

Should be nice though - try pinging a few servers with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by The Clown Man
    you have to turn it down to 57600

It's already set to 57600! I'm getting 115,200bps regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I tried what the clown man said and the connection has been stable since, but it is reporting the connection speed to be 115,200 bps. if only!!

Heh, i think you have to go into the modem properties through internet options and set the options by isp rather than by modem. If it's still 115200 and the max speed in there is 57600 then leave it. Should be fine anyhow.

I thought it was fun to show ppl what "connect speeds!!!?!" I could get with my 56k though. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement