Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing 95 with XP Pro

• 15-02-2002 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I'm going to finally upgrade from win95 to XP Professional (it's been a long time coming!). I'm going to burn every file I need onto CDs, reformat the drive and then stick the CD in and boot from it.

Can anyone see any problems here?

This is my precious home machine and I don't want to lose anything, but at the same time I can't really see anything going too wrong. Any hardware things I should worry about? I guess I should download any XP drivers I need before I reinstall, or at least the modem driver.

I'm just wondering about other peoples experiences in a similar situation, any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well remember, a system that runs win 95 fine may not run win xp at all, whats your hardware like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

The hardware's grand; Athlon 850@1Ghz, 256Mb RAM, 46 gig HD, Geforce 2 etc... Actually that's a good question: what about drivers for my mobo (Abit KT7A), soundcard (SB Live) etc, will they come with XP or will I need to download them beforehand? Now that I think about it, it seems I have a fair bit of downloading to do before I reformat.

Unless someone knows different......

what the hell were you doing with 95 on that system.
    most of the drivers will be there in xp, it they are not, you can download them off the net

what the hell were you doing with 95 on that system
    Not being able to afford anything else, that's what! :p

Thanks for the help Boston, here goes nothing....

we here, with win me as an ash tray and Xp as a closter for my tea

• Advertisement

um, uhh..... about 12:45 I think....

:confused:

Advertisement