Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extracting apps from a Restore CD

• 16-02-2002 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

I have a HP system restore CD with Win98 + apps (like Easy CD etc.)
    Its a standard restore CD -- insert CD into drive. CD boots, wipes the HD and does a full install. The CD (2 actually) contains some sort of archive file in what I assume is HP proprietary format

Now I want to upgrade the system to Win2k. Can I get the apps off the disk without the OS as I dont want to have to go buy new versions of what I already own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Update: been doing some digging and the file is a .gho which appears to the the output of Norton Ghost.
    The CD boots itself but does not give the option of custom restore only complete format and restore....

Aborted the install and copied ghost.exe from the ramdrive.

2 problems:

1: can't pull individual files with ghost.exe need ghost explorer

2. even if I got the files there from an image of a Win98 disk and as such are installed and registered. Just copying the files to W2K will not work.

S***e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

If you upgrade from win98 to win2k it will allow you to keep your files and apps. This is what I did with my machine. It takes longer but it means 99% of all programs will survive the program and still be registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by marauder

Now I want to upgrade the system to Win2k. Can I get the apps off the disk without the OS as I dont want to have to go buy new versions of what I already own?

Hmm there is a problem with attempting to use easy cd in 2k namely the aspi version that came with 98 will not support 2k, and if you have a 98 dvd decoder be prepaired to go out and pay for a 2k/xp compliant new one because yes you guessed it 2k/xp does not come with one by default.
    Else do what I do, nuke windows and use FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux for all of your cdrw and dvd playing. Or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Try ringing HP. They could well have a complete resore disk for Win2000 for your machine, with the same apps.
    They usually give excellent service, often sending me Win200 upgrades on CD (free) and once they even sent me a new scanner (free) because the one I bought was not Win2000 compatible. (I did have to send the other one back but hey...)

Clinical Waste. I don;t know who you dealt with in HP but it definietly wasn't the same dude I spoke with, and I quote

<typical tech support blowoff>
    You are licensed for Windows 98 and Windows 98 operating software (drivers, applications, etc) from HP. If
    you choose to use a different operating system, acquiring software that works w/
    that operating system is your responsibility.
    </typical tech support blowoff>

bah!

• Advertisement

Well admittedly I wasn't going from 1 OS to another but they were always very helpful too me.
    The number I use is one that links straight through to the UK and I never spoke to anyone in particular.

Sorry, you didn't get the same help.

Not being one to give up easily I have continued to press, nay, harass them and they have come up trumps, sort of. They have agreed to send me CDs with the individual applications on them. I should be able to patch easy cd creator for win2k for free (according to their website anyway)

so my faith in HP is restored, somewhat. I guess it pays to be persistant...

thanks for the idea

Glad it (sort of) worked out.

Advertisement