Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci-fi short stories?

Options
  • 16-02-2002 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking for something that you might think isnt so hard to find - a collection of sci-fi short stories. Cant seem to find any (of any quality) in any bookshop i go to. Can anyone point me to a collection I can order or a bookshop which would be good for this sort of thing (already tried easons among others). Just hankering for some more short stories cos some of the best sci fi I ever read was stuff like William Gibsons Hinterlands and The Star (Forget who by but it "explained" the star that the three wise men followed- nice twist in the tail).

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Funnily enough, the only one of those I've found was in one of those cheap stationary shops.
    The book was Best New SF 3 and it has s lot of good short stories in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Check out Legends

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006483941/o/qid=1013964690/sr=2-1/ref=sr_bt_1/026-5166971-1112424

Established authors, fantasy as well though

For short stories from unkown authors I've signed up to the Strange Horizons e-mail newsletter (http//:www.strangehorizons.com), they send out one a week I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Currently reading my way through Robert Silverburg's Science Fiction 101. Of the stories in it I've read they are all of top quality. Robert's crittiques of them is usually spot on as well, lots of helpful hints for the budding writer.

As for other collections of SF stories. The State of The Art is a good set of stories by Iain M Banks. I know Charlie Byrne's in Galway got a load of them in on remainder. A few left the last time I checked (two days ago).

Asimov's estate have republished a number of his collections. Watch out for the Robot Collection (Every robot story he ever published) and the Complete Asimov Volumes 1 and 2. The best twenty quid I spent getting those three all together. :D

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

"The Star", a short story as told by a Jesuit priest, was written by Arthur C Clarke, and is one of my all time favourite short stories.

I have attached it in HTML format, you'll have to rename it to .htm from .txt. (Pesky extension limitations.) :)

It take 10 minutes to read, and is well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Not a bad story. Though to be honest I dislike these like of stories. I honestly don't see the point of writing a sory to examine a Bible event. The famous two castaways lost on a deserted planet (called Adam and Eve) is one such cliche of writing which is often tried.

Fade to Credit
    Scipio_major

• Advertisement
Advertisement