Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the state of the board

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭slash99

Well said Trev. If Phantom have a problem with it let them be the judge of what goes on the board or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Paul Hare

Trev, I don't think you need to be wasting your time replying to that crap.
    Just let them complain and ignore, its only a minority.
    The majority of people I think who do connect to this forum are into music and want to check out whats going on. Since I joined this forum I've met many bands and evolved myself in a music scene and I thank this forum for that. I personally like checking out bands web sites, reading up on them and downloading their MP3 and if I see their playing a gig cool I might check them out.

The people complaining obviously aren't interested in looking for something new and local.
    Remember people that Phantom Fm supports and plugs unsigned Irish bands, why should it be different on this forum.

I could write more about this but I ain't got the time.

Paul

www.ginsengmusic.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

Here Here!

Trev, a song.........

"life a piece of ****,
    when you look at it,
    Lifes a laugh, and thats a laugh it true,
    When your chewing on lifes grizzel
    Don't worry, give a whisle,
    And hopefully things will turn out for the best....and....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

I've no peoblem with bands advertising their gigs on the board.... it's less hassle than bad photocopies and wallpaper paste...

It's funny to think how you basically bombarded with advertisments for 16 hours a day, every day..... unless you live in a cave

speaking of ads....is that the singer from Placebo in the Special K red berries ad ? ...got very old looking, didn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Originally posted by Paul Hare
    Remember people that Phantom Fm supports and plugs unsigned Irish bands, why should it be different on this forum.

Bravo! Nicely summed up.

Goodnight folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Nobody is denying that bands in Dublin dont deserve support-
    I personally was responding to the motion put at the start of the thread of which I agree. Having said that I would like to see a live gigs board- Its more a matter of decipehering between what is promotional threads and other music stuff and at times on the phantom Board its difficult to do so.

DeV. seems to like the idea so maybe someone should post it on the admin board.

[EDIT]
    Beat me to it Pete:)
    BTW...
    Paul (Speedman)
    If you want me to edit my post please e-mail me and I will accordingly oblige- no need to get the Mod and people to start calling me at home.
    [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭mixer007

What I've noticed after reading all this thread is that most ppl want to see the ads, as we are calling them. Anyone in a band will tell you how hard it is to get ppl to come look at your band. So, every little helps. Do the ppl who don't like these posts get pissed off when they see posters in Road Records?
    To me, it's exactly the same thing. It would be something if we were on a cooking forum advertising our next gig, but it's all relevent. Too many moaners, too many begrudgers = Irish Music scene. Looks like 6 will be number one, looks like Walsh will be around for another decade. Great stuff. If you like music, support it and stop knocking any band that gets off their arses even if you don't like them.

Support Music and we'll have a nice little underground scene going on. Variety is the spice of life after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Its more a matter of decipehering between what is promotional threads and other music stuff and at times on the phantom Board its difficult to do so.

It is important to remember that a lot of us know each other in the real world and this is a place were we can have discourse trancending the saptial/temporal confines of the pub/gig or whatever. What I mean is we are a real community and the ads are like telling all your friends and have had the effect of making friends and connections in 'the real world' as I have found myself from this board above any other.

The people who contribute to the forum (the community members) can be distinguished from the aliases that were created solely to promote quite easily by checking the profile and the past posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pixe

It's more envirmentally friendly to advertise here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Right,

Finally between bouts of metal straightening and swinging from metal poles on big mountains, I get a chance to reply to this one.

Heres the deal. Phantom have no problem with people promoting gigs on this board provided they are run by non commercial organisations. Its all part of the service and all that stuff.

There are however a few guidelines for this and it really gets on my wick when people don't respect them.

1. For Gods sake please only start one thread per gig. From now on I will be a great deal more fascist than I already am, and will delete multiple threads on single events.

2. If you bump your thread up the list by use of *bump* or other irrelevant material, I will delete the thread. If you have nothing interesting/relevant to ad, don't post.

3. Please attempt not to ruin Phantoms tiny bank balance by promoting after gig clubs as "the best Thursday night in Dublin", or as one posting had "far better than Whelans on a Thursday". Give us a break here! We need to buy a new mast in the next few days remember!

4. To keep the board less cluttered, I will be removing threads about gigs as soon as I can after the gig has happened.

5. Please do your best to start as many inclusive, interesting and thought provoking other threads as possible too. Its fine to plug gigs on this board, but talk about other stuff too!

Think thats it for now. Any queries, just email. Meantime, its back to the hills and the spinning aerials.

Regards,

Pete Reed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

thats groovy.

j!ve man...unless MCD exploit the board...AAAAAAAGHH!......Aaaghh

yeah.

Advertisement