Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thumb Bandits

• 16-02-2002 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Did anyone catch this on CH4 last night/this morning @ 12:35am? It was presented by Iain Lee (11 o'clock show) & Aleks (bits). It wasn't very good to be honest but hey, no other gaming programmes on the telly. Also, Iain has a way with words; "the people of everquest are nice, while the people in ultima are wánkers". Bring back GamesMaster!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I didn't catch last nights episode but i've seen a few and they are pretty crap.But what do you expect from a programme presented by people from the 11 o'clock show and bits.
    But like you said there are no other game shows on TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Thumb Bandits isn't a bad effort, but it could have been so much better.

Still, I'm in it. So it's obviously the Best Thing Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Your the human chair that Ian Lee sits on? pld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

shinji, when are you on? or were you on already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

theres Cheats on Trouble. Horrible presenters that bore the hell out of you but the reviews are fairly honest and you get to see plenty of games footage.

Games Master could have been so much better - they wasted too much time talking to boring contestants and having competitions between poeople who did'nt know what button does what.

"How do I jump again?" ... :(

"Pants!" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Watching peeps play games on television will never work, games are interactive, i think the best analogy is, would you prefer to watch to peeps having sex or get some action yourself?

The only reason pr0n does so well is that sex is not available at the push of a button but games are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Watching peeps play games on television will never work, games are interactive
    I want you to do me a favour.
    I want you to think about your argument. Give it some serious thought. Go, put on some relaxing music, make a cup of tea, and think it out. Grab a pen and paper, to take notes, if it helps.
    Now, think, braniac. If, in your expert opinion, "games on television will never work" because they're "not interactive" - explain to me the success of games magazines.
    Well (and I'm answering myself, to help you out), there's the fact that video games magazines have a lot more information in them. Bad Influence tried to address this with their "Data Blast" at the end of the show, but this was let down by the fact that the rest of the show was incredibly condescending and patronising and, well, a frantic dash at the last minute to get a video tape and record some cheats for Mortal Kombat was much too taxing for most of it's viewers.
    Which hits onto another point - it's very hard for games shows to hit on a nice format. They either treat their viewers like children (and alienate half their audience), or try to be "Booya, wicked!", "in-your-face", and alienate the other half. With print, apart from a little editorialising, it's mainly just the facts. Even still - there's always going to be a magazine out there more to your taste.
    Now, tell me again - is it *really* because the TV show "isn't interactive"? If anything, I think games shows are better suited for showing off games than most computer magazines. For example - all the video games magazines in all the world could spend forever describing the dynamics of something like "Super Monkey Ball", but you still wouldn't fully get it. Thumb Bandits shows 30 seconds of it, and you realise what a badass game it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by ObeyGiant

If anything, I think games shows are better suited for showing off games than most computer magazines.

When im reading about a game in a magazine or on the net, the game is generally not available in europe yet, so i want as much detail as i can get on the game, therefore the format works.

I dont want to see ppl playing games, i want to play the games myself.

Advertisement