Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connectiing dvd decorder to my tv

• 16-02-2002 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

ive a REALmagic Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder Card, and im wondering what addiction cables i need to conenct my decoder to a stanard tv,

BackPlane.jpg

InTheBox.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Theres a composite video cable there, and a convertor from the svhs (black mini din socket) on the decoder card to the composite cable. So putting those together you should be able to connect it up to a tv with a composite video in. If the tv doesn't have that connection, you can get an adapter for the scart socket which will give you the yellow composite video connection, and the red and white for left and right audio channels. You need to get an audio cable as well, from the line out minijack connection on either the decoder or your soundcard (whichever you reckon is better quality) to the audio in on your tv, which will be 1 or 2 phono connectors (depending on whether its a stereo or mono tv) on the tv or on your scart adapter. Of course if you have a decent stereo system nearby you are better off connecting up to the auxilliary input on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...if I remember correctly, there's some sort of issue with the Hollywood cards that prevents them from outputting anything other than DVD video without some sort of software "hack". I suggest you check that out - I'm not certain of it, but I'm pretty sure...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

doesnt matter ive a geforce 3 with video out, things is though i dont have one of those sound connectio non my tele, just a scart one.

right, none of them will come close to connceting with my tv

ive it set up like this

PCBack.jpg

so you will need an adapter to go from the scart socket on your tv to the composite video connector.

• Advertisement

were can i get one, and what exactly are they called,
    a picture woul;d help,

ill probably buy this is maplins. i remember my last purchase there, 20 meters of cat 5 cable

"can i have 20 meters of standard cat 5 cable"

"No that is crossover cable and is 15 meters"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

not sure what they are called...scart adapter ?
    basically it has scart output at one end for connecting to scart input of tv and at other end of adapter, a svid, composite vid and 2 audio inputs for cables coming from your card of pc
    just get a composite(yellow jack) 5 metre cable and an audio cable for the job, if u need more length, just connect 2 cables back to back, the same applies if u want svid connection(suppose to be better quality).

i got my adapter in peats...cheap i thk it was less than 10 euro

thanks, listen how would i go about rigging up sound
    what those pictures dont show is anotehr cable that comes off the main lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Boston! WAKE UP!...It was already explained....;).
    Okay, the SCART adapter will/should have to phono-inputs (couldnt arsed following the link), just get a cable that converts RTS to RCA (headphone jack to Phono) then plug the phono ends into the Scart adapter.

You're better off using the SVHS connector btw if your tv will take it. It's a lot better.

• Advertisement

Ba you miss understand, what gerry explained was how to rig up speakers on either my system or my hi if.

his idea about way of riging up sound wont work through my tv because it doesnt have that port. But this "SCART Plug" seems to have a audio connection on it,

well the lead i have for the decoder is actually different to that in the pictures, its kinda two cables in one going into the main port on the decoder, with the secound cable having the male adaptor of the audio port on the "SCART Plug"

So basically what im asking, do you think ill be able to stick that into the SCART Plug and have sounds. if not what else do i have to buy.

I understood gerry's reply it just didnt work for me

I did actually explain this already.
    You need to get an audio cable as well, from the line out minijack connection on either the decoder or your soundcard (whichever you reckon is better quality) to the audio in on your tv, which will be 1 or 2 phono connectors (depending on whether its a stereo or mono tv) on the tv or on your scart adapter. Of course if you have a decent stereo system nearby you are better off connecting up to the auxilliary input on that.

Yes, thats a separate cable to the video lead. In your picture you already seem to have a cable coming from the line out on the hollywood+. Wheres that going????????

The tvout cable coming from the decoder carries video, not sound. The different connectors on it are for svhs or composite connections to your tv. As creed said, svhs is higher quality, and its on that adapter from peats, so use it.

no, thats the cable you think i have, im talking about another one, ill see if i can find one.

that cable i have for the sound im runnign a loope back into my sound card, you cant see it there

betst i can decribe it is, its the main leads you see there, the black and yellow one, that connect into the centre port on the dvd decoder. buut coming from the black end is another cable, with a Phono male(phone plug) connection on the end of it. now i was wondering if i could then connect that lead into the the audio input on the scart plug

forget it, im not explaining this very well, ill figure it out when i get the scart pug next week. ill paly around with it till it works

Originally posted by Boston
    betst i can decribe it is, its the main leads you see there, the black and yellow one, that connect into the centre port on the dvd decoder. buut coming from the black end is another cable, with a Phono male(phone plug) connection on the end of it. now i was wondering if i could then connect that lead into the the audio input on the scart plug

No, you can't.
    The tvout cable coming from the decoder carries video, not sound

I'd appreciate if you read my posts until you understand them. The Phono male(phone plug) is carrying a video signal, just like the black svhs connector. I have that ****ing cable here.

Now, since you have the line out looped back to your sound card, get a cable in peats or wherever which goes from the minijack line out on your sound card, to the red and white phono connectors on the scart adapter. Is that so difficult?

a i see, ive the cable in backwards then, that explains it.

so i want a cable for sounds that has a min jack on one end and a phono plug on the other?

Sorry but ive never done this before and the cables in the manual are different to the cables i actually have so that was no help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

One minijack to two phono plugs - Left and Right. These will often be coloured red (for right) and white (for left). You should be able to plug these into either a stereo system or into the SCART convertor gerry posted a link to.

Another thing - if your DVD drive is region free and you play NTSC DVDs through it, your TV will have to be capable of displaying an NTSC signal (unless your decoder card automatically converts it to a PAL signal, probably unlikely, I don't know much about hardware DVD decoders) - most modern TVs can do this to varying degrees of quality. If your TV's manual or box says 'multi-standard' or something similar, you should be sorted.

basically this then?

106079.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

That would be the one.
    Now just the video to worry about.

• Advertisement

I sense another thread in a weeks time about that

I sense a disturbance in the farce.

Advertisement