Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd-rom problems

• 17-01-2001 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, ive just built a new machine and ive been having problem with my rom drive since ive installed it.
    problem is it wont autorun anything. i dont mean it wont do, it refuses to even install anything from cdrom when i open it and click on setup programs. however, its not all cds it does this to. just most of them.
    its a mitsubishi dvd drive and it reads just fine, i can explore everything, it reads dvds perfectly and i can copy from it no problem at all, but when it comes to installing, its not interested. just tells me that such and such is not a valid win32 proggie. well, usually it says that. im running win2k, but i did have win98 and it was doing the same thing. now, it is the primary master at the moment, with one hard drive as slave and i have an internal zip drive which is secondary master and a second hard drive wich is slave on that as well. come to think of it, it my zip drive sometimes tells me theres no disk in the drive. but that happens in work as well. bloody annoying.
    any ideas?
    apart from swap around my drives, and if so, thenm what do suggest?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

could it be the lens ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Buy a new CDROM drive smile.gif
    Could be some busmaster thing, but I had a CD drive (bout a year old) do that on me before... I gave up on it and bought a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

You said your CD-ROM drive is the Master and your Hard Drive is the Slave?

It'd be an idea to first of all put both Hard Drives on the Primary Channel, one as Master and one as Slave and knock the DVD and Zip Drives onto the Secondary channel with the CD-ROM as the Master.

Apart from that, try and get a new CD-ROM drive.

[This message has been edited by Kegser (edited 17-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, i have put the hard drives as masters and rom and zip drives as slaves and all is well now. have to say thats a first time seeing someothing like that.
    howandever, it is a computer. little metal contrary women.....

Advertisement