Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 16-02-2002 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else find this subject impossible in honours but really easy in pass??
    I'm grand now in pass but i was failing badly in honours.
    Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well im doing it as honours and i havent seen the pass, but if i did have to do pass is drop it cause its my eight subject.I dont finfd it too bad

Arent you doing pass Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yea....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

hmm i done this way back in 97, honours and managed a b1..
    looking back now it was piss easy, and i havent done any maths since, bar a lot of graphic stuff..
    at pass level its basic physics (newtons laws and the like), at honours there are some harder to figure out questions but it always boils down to getting equations and solving.
    much easier than a learn a book subject imo anyway, history/geography/economics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yea cause our teacher just supervises our class and does any problems we have.
    Basicly we buy the book and teach ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Hate to sound the nerd but i find applied maths v. easy...tis me fav subject....should get me A1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Grrrr i spend most of my time at applied maths but yet it is always the subject i do worse in, what's your secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Last year I had 8 subjects doing the leaving. I took Applied MAths as my 8th. By Xmas i found it hard to work with the 8 honour subjects and dropped Applied MAths completly.... But I was signed up for the exam so in the end I did 2 hours study after my italian exam and sat the Pass paper.... It was piss easy.. I got a c1 with only that minimal study and only half the course under my belt.

This year I am repeating and am taking Applied Maths at Higher level. Its not as bad as most ppl think. I honestly think Higher Maths has alot more to it than Applied Maths... As long as u work at the areas that need it and brush up on the parts that u aren't too good at it is a piece of cake...

Tips for those doing Applied Maths
    Almost Half the marks go for the diagrams so even if u can sketch them down you pretty much have a C3. Couple that with 1 Completly correct Q and the odd good attempt and you got yourself a B3....

I have done most the course now. Only got Circular Motion, SHM and Rigid Body Motion left... The hard ones :).

Good Luck everyone and continue the assimilation. I only have 21 hours of allpied maths classes left till the end of year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

oh my gosh I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I did App. Maths at honours level for the leaving last year and it was quite the emotional rollercoaster. I can't even remember what I think about it anymore. I didn't find it real easy but it was manageable. I think you have to have a good teacher. Luckily I did - she was a freak about maths actually! It was a small class and we all got loads of attention. Some more than others. And yes everyone thought we were insane doing it. But there is a huge misconception about it. Anyone reading this who may be wondering whether or not to do it for the leaving, i'd say give it a go, unless you detest maths. You don't have to be one of those mathamagicians to get a decent grade - I'm living proof. And as regards study hours - I'd say it whips History's ass in those stakes.

ah lads applied maths is easy once u understand the concepts and as was said above a large portion goes for the diagram which tends to be fairly basic..............

But yer not stupposed to tell anyone its easy...everyone else sees the Applied part n just runs....suits me fine....they all think i'm some sorta maths prodigy r summit to be doing it.... :)

other than that i should have gotten me A1 in pre..........was far too easy....pre's r piss...................... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Did it for the leaving in 93

Forgot I was registered for it until the day before the exam. Thought I'd unregistered for it, turned out I hadn't

Got a C on the honours paper - I would have failed the pass exam

I am starting to get into the whole Applied Maths frame of thinking at last, after taking the subject up at the start of the year and failing miserably at first i have gradually brought by result up to a C and with some work it should be a B for the leaving itself. I have found that initially it can be very difficult especially for those without Physics but the more time you spend practicing the better you get

Having said that i wouldn't say the subject is easy, it can be extremely frustrating to begin with but once you start getting the hang of things it can actually become enjoyable and relaxing! If you are thinking of doing it you must have Honours Maths and Physics (i noticed the guys without Physics really struggle..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV
    (i noticed the guys without Physics really struggle..)

I wouldn't agree with that... the applied maths course is small, and the actually theory behind each chapter is easy to learn, and doesn't take long at all. I think applied maths helps your physics a lot, but I don't think you need to be doing physics to get an A in app maths.

I found that the first while trying to do each section is very hard, but once you learn the tricks, and become familiar with the common methods for solving each question, then most sections are very simple and systematic. Most sections have only a couple of different questions that can be asked, and each year they change the values around, or add a twist to make the question a little bit different, but usually it follows the same method. Each year they always manage to think up something new on a couple of questions, but in the exam you should be able to find 6 questions that fit the general template.

I think applied maths helps your physics a lot, but I don't think you need to be doing physics to get an A in app maths.
    thats true practically ensures u full marks from the mechanics questions

Most sections have only a couple of different questions that can be asked, and each year they change the values around, or add a twist to make the question a little bit different, but usually it follows the same method.
    Personally i think thats probally the worst way possible to deal with applied maths........the subject is about applying the concepts and understanding everything and being able to visualise the problem.Learning off method's with a half tricky exam will put u in the D catagory instantly:rolleyes: ..........understanding only half the course will probally get u a C...learning stuff off is not the way to go (apart from defn's...) Its the one subject where thats the surefire way of sink'n u.....

btw in relation to my post above 98% in applied maths in pre and 96% in phyics...so i guess they help each other :)

I noticed that the guys without Physics often have to ask about things which is took for granted by the teacher, also, in my class at least the two guys without Physics are the ones that have the lowest grades in the class. I still maintain that people without Physics are at a big (but not huge) disadvantage.

Having said that it is still of course possible for someone without Physics to get an A1

i've like one of the best phyics teachers in the country n i'd completely disagree with that.........having phyics has no baring on how i do in applied maths.......the phyics mechanics is far too basic to have any relevence.......i doubt it could even get u past a pass question in applied maths...u can do the phyics questions in yer head fer gawd's sake.......tho i really can't take much of a stance on this cause in a survey of my class (mostly repeats) everyone recon's our applied maths teacher is best one ever seen :D (hence my 98% in pre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

To that guy above: SHM.Is.****.Easy. I took up applied maths this year and its my favourite subject now, dont have mock back but an a of some description is fairly likely. Anyone else in here doin it in a$hfield?

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    having phyics has no baring on how i do in applied maths

So you are saying that Physics was no help to you whatsoever? I disagree

Absolutely none...heck i skip half me phyics classes on topics that over lap with applied maths they get so boring now.......absolutely no help applied maths has a much higher standerd of maths than phyics........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

the trick to applied maths or atleast to it so far, and every or most i've ever seen is to, i don't know but i'm hoping to get an A1 cus i find it fairly easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ceewa

there is a huge difference between honours and pass, we did the whole pass course from september to february in fifth year then went back and added in the hounours parts, had the whole thing done before the mocks in sixth year.

i found it was a lot of repeating questions. the good thing was that before the exam u could concentrate on seven questions and leave out the ones u ddin't like. thats what i didn anyway

I have to say physics helps with some of the asmall things but only cos it means you have done them twice. I had my 5th yr summer test a half an hour ago and the only way physics helped was that i had a good grasp of the formulas for mechanics which helped a little but not to a huge extent. There argument settled :cool:

Advertisement