Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD drive is locked - bit of help please

• 17-01-2001 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok dunno why but my CD drive won't run anything. When I try to access it it says it's not accessible.

When I tried to run an Anti-virus on it - Norton told me that the drive was being used by a disk utility and to try again when it was free.

Does anybody have any idea how to remedy this? (And yes - I have rebooted etc.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

[1]. Does it happen with all CD's?

[2]. Can you boot from the Win98 CD?

Check [2] should tell you wether it's a hardware/BIOS problem or Win98/config problem.

[3]. Was there anything you changed or installed that could have b0rked the drive?

SONIC.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Go into the BIOS and see if the System is actually seeing the Drive.

If it is seeing the drive, try using a Windows 98 Boot Disk and choosing the "CD-ROM Support" option.

Then have a looksie and see if you can access data CDs in DOS.

If you can't then chances are your drive is b0rked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Locked eh? Tell it not to drink so much next time then!!! Oh me aching sides etc. etc. smile.gif

sig.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

What did somebody hit you CT...

Advertisement