Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Fusion chancers

Options
  • 16-02-2002 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭

Having heard about this new cheaper internet access rate from the wonderful Esat Fusion, I decided to take them up on their offer and phoned them for an application form. I realised that to take advantage of the cheaper internet rate I had to switch my home phone to Esat from my current carrier, Eircom. "No bother", I said, as ninenty-nine per cent of my 'phone calls are to the internet anyway. I explained this to the guy on the other end and he immediately tried to flog me their subscription-based service, IOL Gold.
    He mentioned some survey they'd carried out which had "discovered that most people who were using the IOL free service would have actually saved money if they had been using the Gold service instead". As you know, this costs €15 per month and is really only suitable for people who use the internet during the day. Leaving aside for a minute the questionable existence of this "survey", how can you compare the former, more expensive service of 1.27 cent per minute to the new one and then tell me that I'd be better off of on IOL Gold? He didn't say whether this "survey" was done using the new cheaper rate or the one before it and I regret not asking him.
    I realise that trying to choose the best telephone service is a confusing exercise but everyone's habits vary and one thing doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.(I worked out that I would have saved €17.80 on my last bill if I'd been on IOL instead.)
    Anyway, I was so annoyed at this shameless attempt to shake me down, that I decided to stick with Eircom and dumped the IOL CD in the bin.So, if anyone from Esat is reading this, you've just missed out on stealing a customer from your biggest rival as a result of the aggressive sales pitch adopted by your staff. However, in their defence,I can only assume they're acting on instructions from above, as I'm convinced this whole "one cent per minute" business is just a carrot to con people into signing up to IOL Gold once they get talking to them (they even enclosed an application form for it even though I didn't ask for one). So, before any of you are tempted by the 21% saving, be warned, as it's just a starter before the main course as far as Esat are concerned.

Advertisement