Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac IRC

Options
  • 16-02-2002 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Just got the loan of a iBook for the weekend. Got on the net, now looking for a simple Mac OS9.2/OSX IRC client.
    A SSH client would be class too. Any ideas people?
    OSX is a bit of apain in the ass. I like the command line though :)
    The actual laptop is a nice bit of kit too.
    500Mhz G3
    256PC100 SDRAM
    15GB Hdd
    Some sort of tft acreen capable of 1024x768.
    OSX has some ice jelly type stylings. Not quite my thing but I can see why arty people might like em :)

All the ports are built onto the left hand side which is convenient.
    The iklle led ring around the recharger jack is cool too. Changes colour depending on the charge state of the battery (whioch is a Lithium-Ion - nice1).
    Only gripe is the awkwardness of the OS (so far) and the way there seems to be only one (typeII probably) PCMCIA slots which is under the keyboard and seems to be only designed for the AirPort.
    Built-in Firewire, 2x USB 1.1, AV out, VGA out, Ethernet (dunno if it's 100 or 10) and 56K modem.

Thumbs up
    8/10

Oh yeah.......IRC anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Theres two main contenders as far as i know.
    Snak seems to be the best one around.
    Ircle is another and has been around longer, so there is probably more plug ins for it.
    Not sure if either do SSH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

MacBlue will do telnet, and maybe SSH. I can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A very good IRC one is Fire for only os X I think. You can have messenger and yahoo chat on it also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I've used ircle and its great. Love the voice feature so what people type is called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thanks lads.
    The iBook is gone now.
    Shortly after posting I got my ass to Google and found IRCle. Had to load up the classic environment for it. Didn't quite like it. All the windows were spread out and were bloody awkward.
    MacSSH seemed good. Nifty Tenet just didn't ring my bell I'm afraid. At the end of the day it's down to fonts and sizes I'm afraid.

Onward and upward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Should've gone for Fire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Try snak out. You may find it better than Ircle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Thanks lads.
    The iBook is gone now.
    Shortly after posting I got my ass to Google and found IRCle. Had to load up the classic environment for it. Didn't quite like it. All the windows were spread out and were bloody awkward.
    MacSSH seemed good. Nifty Tenet just didn't ring my bell I'm afraid. At the end of the day it's down to fonts and sizes I'm afraid.

Onward and upward
    There's a carbon version for OS X as well.

Advertisement