Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copy DVD onto CD-R

• 16-02-2002 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

lately theres been a barth of "COPY DVD ONTO CD-R" ads all over the net. i taught it was bulls t but my gulable bro went off & ordered it. got it anyways a few weeks ago- very complicated, many procedures, and after all that, it didnt work on my DVD player for my TV. it said it did in the ad and also all over the program. it runs ok on the DVDplayer on my comp. tried it a couple of times and still wouldnt work on my tvDVD. was anyone else stupid enough to buy this? did you experience the same prob??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

tell me this, how the hell are you going to copy a 9gb/4gb dvd to a 600-750mb cd.

you might have engaged the brain before buy this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I dunno, i havent tried it, brother has been. it rips it down to mpeg and then to sometin else and then you burn it onto ur cd. i dunno the exact siht.

then how do you expect it to work, if you dont know the details of how it works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Boston
    tell me this, how the hell are you going to copy a 9gb/4gb dvd to a 600-750mb cd.

you might have engaged the brain before buy this.
    You know people have been copying ps2 games onto 5/6 cd-r's for ages now?

wow that s really interesting, :rolleyes:

you know they've been copying psx cames onto cds for even longer.
    weres your point

• Advertisement

If you cant see it, your not worth explaining it to.

Oh and PSX games are cd's....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Probably makes a VCD (Video CD).

Brendan

i see it allright, so dont be a muppet. im not talking about ps2 games im talking about dvds where the player wont have any decodering wear except for the usual (ie no emulator)

Originally posted by Celt
    Oh and PSX games are cd's....
    sorry did you not see the sarcasm sig

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bkehoe
    Probably makes a VCD (Video CD).

Brendan
    exactly the point i was trying to make, its not goign to be able to get 9gb/4gbs onto a cd without using somekind of compression which of course the home DVD player wont be able to read. might owrk on a pc dvd though.

i see it allright, so dont be a muppet. im not talking about ps2 games im talking about dvds where the player wont have any decodering wear except for the usual (ie no emulator)
    I'm a muppet because i disagreed with you?
    lol get real...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Copying a DVD ROM onto multiple cd's will not work on the newest Station2's, and yes BKehoe i would also say that they do a very low quality VCD or even Divx conversion.

DVD-RW are pretty resonable now, but the media is still up in the sky [well quality discs].

a muppet for taking sarcasm at face value. You didnt disagree with me either you simply made a derogatory remark.

chernobyl they may be cheaper but they are slow as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Possibly the reason you consider them slow is because you compare them to a CD-RW doing its job in less than 4 minutes, my first CD-R would create a CD in about an hour so if thats what the newest DVD-RW's can do, then thats not soo bad.

I honestly dont know how "slow" they are, so do inform me.
    :)

last i looked they were 4x on the write and 2x on the rewrite, that was the 600 euro one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Errrm, 2 things...
    1). The copy dvd onto a cdr sounds like it's just converting the dvd into vcd format and then copies it onto cdrs. A waste of money as you can easily find tools for free that will do it for you.
    2). Most good dvd players would be able to play vcds.

last i looked they were 4x on the write and 2x on the rewrite, that was the 600 euro one
    Uh huh, but is that dvd 4x speed or cd 4x speed? You do know 1x dvd is not the same as 1x cd right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

am, I think it's been mentioned before but it sounds very like DivX. I have a LOTR DivX here at home, in two parts. About 1.3Gb total. Excellent quality.
    Could be some sort of TiVO thing too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I had the Matrix on 1 cd DivX and it was excellent quailty. Full surround sound aswell.
    Took the guy something like 13hours to fit it onto 1 cd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yup it's true I knew a dutch guy who worked for gateway at the same time I did who claimed he had gotten the entire matrix onto a 650mb cdr. Granted the lower image quality 'must' have been visible also he could have been using some wired sort of compression else he had found a method of making an early vcd.

But yes it is possible to make a vcd from vob files I think, not really my thing as I don't really have the disk space to be ripping dvd's and if I wanted a copy of filmx I would probably just scart to scart two vhs recorders or scart to scart a dvd player and a vhs, or something.

Che Lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Osama

might owrk on a pc dvd though.

Boston why don't you stop trolling, you obviously haven't a clue about this particular topic so why the hell are you making stupid guesses? If you don't know the answer to the man's question, just don't reply! FFS.

What we're talking about here, in this particular new scam is simply ripping DVD's to VCD's which play on 'most' new dvd players (not just pc ones!). Chubby, the only one copping on to this. And as chubby said this is nothing that you can't already do with other free software tools. It's just a scam playing on peoples ignorance, which, with all due respect is quite obviously a lucrative business going by the amount of people here who hadn't a clue how it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

DVD-RW is a dead format. DVD+RW is the winner...

And Boston you started with derogatory comments so I wouldn't start narking on anyone who replied. Everyone does stupid things with their PCs, just some more than most, and there are always areas that even the best techy hasnt a clue about....Kinda like not being able to RTFM or read a reply about cables on a DVD decoder (JOKE, but makes the point...:)...).
    Anyway.

DVD+RW is at 2.4x DVD Speed at the moment, which equates to something like 16x CD. I burned a 4gb data disk in ~40 mins to give you an idea.

_CreeD_ You misunderstood me in that thread, go read it again.
    Chubby, Right you are, i had forgotten about that factor and was reading it as if it was like cds, i might just purchase one now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

To the best of my knowledge they are not VCDs (but i'm not actually sure what VCDs are) but there is a way to copy DVDs onto CD. It works in much the same way i can copy an audio CD on my Hard drive at about a 1/10th of the space. it uses MPEG compression and there is a loss of quality as you would might imagine. All is explained here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Oh yeah it takes about 20 hours or more to copy! And i've never tried it so i don't know what the quality is like.

Originally posted by Keeks
    To the best of my knowledge they are not VCDs (but i'm not actually sure what VCDs are) but there is a way to copy DVDs onto CD. It works in much the same way i can copy an audio CD on my Hard drive at about a 1/10th of the space. it uses MPEG compression and there is a loss of quality as you would might imagine. All is explained here
    Right, what you talking about is ripping DVDs and converting them into the divx format. DIVX is MPEG-4 based codec, a codec with a high compression rate. If done right, the quality can be very close to a dvd as everything is configurable like the resolution and bitrate of the video etc. (go read up on it on www.divx.com) Because of the high compression involved, making one will take hours if you don't have top of the range machine like a p4 2gz.

Video CDs (VCD) uses the MPEG1 codec, picture resolution and bitrate is fixed so you can always fit about 60min of video onto a cd. The quality is exactly like a normal MPEG movie. VCDs are incredibly popular in asia and you can get most movies in this format and most DVD players can play them.

When you think about it, those are obvious reasons why the program in this scam is making VCDs. I'll list them in case you miss them....
    1). It's a lot quicker to make VCDs than DIVX movies. You are talking about less than an hour here to over 10 on a machine with a mid range cpu. No one will buy the thing if you are going to have to wait a day to copy a movie.
    2). VCD is an old standard that's supported by most standalone dvd players.
    3). No existing DVD player can play DIVX movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

The compression to put DVD on to CDR is a bastardisation MPEG4 which allows 11X compression. Gives a DVD on a CDR with VHS to S-VHS quality. I had the progams for this for a while LAST YEAR, of course I can't find them on my machine but I will look for them and let you know what they are called.

1 program allows you to extract your dvd on to your machine (as a backup) and the second compresses it onto a CDR as a backup.

Hope this may be off some assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yes but mpeg4 still won't be playable on any standalone dvd player.

back to the original post anyway...

if you haven't figured it out from the mess of posts yet, there are two reasons why it didn't work:

1) the program didn't convert the dvd to vcd format, but rather divx. will playback on a pc only.

2) the program converted the dvd to vcd format ok but your dvd player doesn't read copied cds/CD-Rs, some sonys and older panasonics have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Advertisement