Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-way Satellite Internet.

Options
  • 17-02-2002 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I seen an ad in the Indo last week for a company called Eirstream http://www.eirstream.net

Its a bit on the pricey side and there are download caps too but at least its available now and according to the website it's available everywhere.
    Has this been mentioned before? I didn't see any mention of it here lately, so I'm just assuming that the most of you guys missed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Now I'm open to correction on this.. but it seems this crowd are either just reselling Educom's service or are in fact Educom renamed.

Either way, €150 per month is a lot to pay for a service which will no doubt have download throttling and/or caps

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

With a 400M a day download limit and €180/month sub (including VAT), it's hard to see why they have to also charge 3.6c/meg over the 3G limit (inc. VAT).

It's depressing to see a company following Eircom's outlandish pricing structure.

At least it's a start.

Oh and notice the €800 deposit for the equipment on installation.. and a minimum 2 year contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Eirstream is just Educoms 2way brand name

• Registered Users Posts: 30 turiel

Can anyone who has this service comment on it? How bad the latency actually is, etc. The plan is for a streaming mp3 server. Is this feasible with this satellite (business) package?

The alternative is to rent a server in the states and stream from that, but that would involve encoding/sending from a machine here connected to the net via ISDN, which is just a bit costly for a 24/7 connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Im going to contact Eirsteam tommorow, If everything seems in working order, there's just the fact of getting the friggen deposit together... but the 2yr contract worries me, as I'd honestly rather 56k flat rate access for €20 a month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

its useless tho, its capped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by turiel
    Can anyone who has this service comment on it? How bad the latency actually is, etc. The plan is for a streaming mp3 server. Is this feasible with this satellite (business) package?

The alternative is to rent a server in the states and stream from that, but that would involve encoding/sending from a machine here connected to the net via ISDN, which is just a bit costly for a 24/7 connection!

I've been using it since Monday and am quite happy with it.
    Good points:
    1) Always on Internet.
    2) High Bandwidth.
    3) Available out in the sticks (where I live),
    4) It save me roughly €250 a month

Bad Points:
    1) Capped.
    2) Pricing should be better (will probably improve with time).
    3) Capped...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Are these people taking the Piss

E150 a month plus vat ,E800 security deposit ,whatever that is with a 400mb daily limit and a monthly limit of 3G with a 2 year contract

or you could try thier 21day trial for only.........E400

ME FIRST.....ME FIRST.......not ****ing likely

Macker

oh yeah a link cause I know you'll think I'm making this up
    http://www.eirstream.net/prices.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Damn didn't see the thread down below.....ah well got it off my chest anyway

Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Um in fairness, they seem to be better than Errorcom's DSL option. I didnt think they were so bad, in fact I think I'll be signing up relatively shortly... but thats just me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I just wish I could afford this, I suspect I wont be able to afford Eircom's offering and I am going madder each day. At least Eirstream have to install stuff, Eircom's infrastructure is more or less in place. As I am in a village I will probably never see broadband even though I live looking out onto one of the three busiest routes in Ireland. I am so depressed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Will it be possible to share the bandwith with other people on a Wireless LAN? Is there something in their TOS which stipulates againtst this?

Anyone who has any questions re. Educom's satellite service can have a look at the forum on my site (http://www.bite-ltd.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?forum=8&4) I will continually update it with any info or issues that becomes available. Please feel free to post any questions you might have...

Mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

nice work on resurrecting the topic there.
    Eirstream isnt suitable for gaming, as stated
    After continous use, Eirstream cuts your speed down to 1/8 and wont revert back for 8hours, meaning your going slower then a 56k.

Originally posted by Tizlox
    After continous use, Eirstream cuts your speed down to 1/8 and wont revert back for 8hours, meaning your going slower then a 56k.

It might state so on the DirecPC or Educom website but I can speak from experience when I tell you that this has not happened to me at all.
    Where do you get the reference to "continuos use" from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

If theryre looking to take advantage of the fact that we rely on eircom ( enough said ) then they can go and ****e with them prices.

Matt

I have no idea how fair the price is, prices in the UK seem to be higher. But its available all over the country, right now, it is not eircom who have taken out an injunction against the name eirstream as they actually own it and above all IT IS NOT EIRCOM and they have lost a customer. If I only had the money I would have it now but since it is little more than a toy to me I dont count.

Sorry slight misprint ie an omitted comma in between eircom and who. I am very bad at grammar blame the education system and now have low self esteem and will need therapy.

Originally posted by Matfinn
    If theryre looking to take advantage of the fact that we rely on eircom ( enough said ) then they can go and ****e with them prices.

Matt

There are two ways of looking at it:
    1) You can compare the prices to the prices abroad and bitch about it until the cows come home..

or

2) You can see it for what it is: The best and cheapest broadband, "always on" option available.

The choice is yours....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Arboration

This site has been de-activated For further information contact 01-8601995

Am I the only one getting this message?

And 150 Euro is Afordable. gor flate-rate broadband.
    I don't even download 10MB a day, let alone 400.

• Advertisement

Nothing to worry about, just branding problems.
    Just go to this site: http://www.educom.ie/

Advertisement