Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am sick and tired of this sh^t!!

Options
  • 17-02-2002 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right, I have noticed for a long time the thing where you are either classed as a metal or dance head, or else a person who claims to love everything (ie just commercial stuff). I personally am a dance head. I am a Dj, and have been for the past three years. I don't detesté metal music or all those people who sound like they are puking and singing at the same time. For those of you that are getting mad, please remember that my music has been reffered to as untz untz untz. Which is a big insult, and shows complete ignorance. I personally know jack sh^t about metal music, but I know I don't like it, but most of all I don't knock it, or the people who listen to it. Actually I Djed a metal night for a friend of mine (BlackWizardd) last weekend, and it went down a storm. I didn't like the music I was playing, but enjoyed myself nevertheless, solely from feedback from the crowd.

I can say I like some metal stuff considering I was playing the likes of ICED EARTH, CRADLE OF FILTH, METALLICA, PANTHERA, etc..., and had a good night all the same. But I like dance music, and I know the people who say untz untz untz, are not dance Djs, and would not understand it on the level that I do. Fair enough that it may be more simple to produce. But come on, is music appreciated just because it may be difficult to make. I say not!. I know many people on these boards that like dance music and would attend the more popular nights out, and I also know that they don't take the mick out of metal. I personally listen to a bit of classical myself, but even if I didn't what does that matter??? :rolleyes:

Once and for all, I would like to close the gap between the two genres of music, because I know people who won't even hang out with eachother over what type of music they listen to. I am sick and tired of one side calling the other crap. IMO if you think it's crap, you don't understand it. The reason why???, there are many million followers on each side, they have to be following it for some reason, a reason that you don't understand perhaps?

;-phobos-)
    PS: This thread was created because I read half of the first page of "No offence, But metal?", and decided that it was necessary. Also I don't want to see metal heads, saying stuff like, "Oh I never actually said anything bad about dance I actually like it, and all types of music, for that matter." Fight YOUR case and let me know. It will make an interesting discussion. But remember, if you think this thread is about Metal Vs Dance, you are quite mistaken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, here's how I see it!

This is a board for discussion.
    And this one particularly about music.

So if we get all these different ideas from all these different users, throw 'em all into a melting pot, it's just damn fun!

I personaly enjoy all the fizzling opinions flying around when peoples tastes clash. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

way I see it is that the dance fans have all the clubs, pubs, and venues in Ireland *sorted* for them as they are always playing the pop/dance/ or "rock" .

most mettlers take the piss out of dance out of pure bitterness, if there were more decent metal/rock pubs around, people wouldn't care, it's just the fact that if you are a metal fan, and you go out on the piss you have to listen to all that ****e :)

personally I hate dance, most of the time, but i like daft punk, air, and a few other groups/songs.
    i'm not sure why, but i just don't like music that is created for no reason other than to be dance to, and badly at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Mordeth
    way I see it is that the dance fans have all the clubs, pubs, and venues in Ireland *sorted* for them as they are always playing the pop/dance/ or "rock" .

If pubs and clubs thought they'd make more money out of "metal" they'd cater for that audience. Dance music is far more profitable and less hassle.

Back to your points Phobos, I think Dance music gets a raw deal on these boards because of a minority of very vocal metal fans. These metallers seem very protective of their music and will go out of their way to slam other genres of music, which deep down means that they in fact fear that the music they listen to is weak and needs protection.

They don't seem to want to let the music they like speak for itself the way dance fans do, but they have to campaign agressively for their cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

So, phobos, what *is* there to understand about dance music, once one is on your level? i, for one, like IDM stuff like autechre, aphex twin and Boards of canada, but none of the other ****e i've heard, house/trance/whatever music.
    I just want to know, what is there apart from an incessant untz untz untz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Mordeth
    most mettlers take the piss out of dance out of pure bitterness, if there were more decent metal/rock pubs around, people wouldn't care

That's fair point, because I personally don't know any real metal nights in Galway for instance, that would cater for your tastes. Maybe the odd night in Sally Longs, but that's about it.

Also there is a BIG difference between pop/dance/ or "rock" . The only one I care for is dance. Most of the music I play, listen to, has never seen the charts. Most of the time people that don't understand dance music, think that the next Britney Spears tune with a repeditive beat, would please any dance head. The reality is quite different. It has actually taken me some years to fully understand dance music and why people like it, and follow it. I have proven my theories by playing some serious (rarely heard before) records and the crowd went wild. But I'm sure that there were people in the back who were wishing they could get their money back.

Another thing I've noticed since I started Djing is that when I play music the people who like dance music instantly know that I'm a dance Dj and not another Chart/Big Hit spinner, who's probably just in it for the money. The people who understand it, will know the difference, but to everyone else it's the same old sh!te.

Anyway I could spend the next hour or so ranting on, so all I'm going to say is that "if you don't understand it, don't mock it". The same goes for dance headz towards metal. Perhaps we should try and get some bands that will be appreciated by all (The Prodigy spings to mind)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I can think of a few dance acts that I like: New Order, Primal Scream, Leftfield, Daft Punk, Kraftwerk, Neu, Chemical Brothers...

But bad dance music is the worst thing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Okay, deep breaths :)

Phobos, same here, I read around half of that last thread and stopped half way through in disgust. I'm not entirely sure what I want to say here, so we'll just see what happens...

I'm 20. Up until a few years ago, I listened to basically nothing but metal and punk - Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Dead Kennedy's, etc. I loved it, and basically just felt sorry for people who "didn't get it" and insisted on listening to whatever teeny-bopper chart stuff that was doing the rounds at the time. Then...actually, I think it was the time Metallica released the Black album, that I went off metal. All my metal friends liked the album, I hated it and thought it was (imho) wussy crap. So, I pretty much entered music limbo for a while, and didn't really listen to music at all. I still played drums in a local band for a few years afterwards, but that was just rock covers anyway.

Then, about two years ago, I discovered Timo Maas - and that, as they say, was that. I went out, bought a midi keyboard, got some software (not that ejay stuff, proper software!), and I've been tooling around making dance (I use the term broadly) music since (not to mention dicovering loads more artists like DJ Shadow, Aphex Twin and so on). I love it. I feel sorry for people who don't understand it. Sound familiar?

The way I see it, just listen to whatever the hell music you want to listen to. If you like metal, great, listen to metal, but don't slag other genre's all willy nilly. Its a lesson I've learned, and I have friends who listen to nothing but 160bpm dance, and friends who listen to nothing but the heaviest of metals, and we can all get along, because we respect each others choice of music. It does get ugly when its time to put on party music though :)

So, what the hell is this rambling post all about? I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to say that while you may not like a particular genre of music, that does not make it crap. It just means its not for you.

- lamps

PS Two posts in one day! I must be going mad.

Originally posted by Kopf
    So, phobos, what *is* there to understand about dance music, once one is on your level? i, for one, like IDM stuff like autechre, aphex twin and Boards of canada, but none of the other ****e i've heard, house/trance/whatever music.
    I just want to know, what is there apart from an incessant untz untz untz?

For starters when I say "on my level", I think I have a good grasp of what it's all about. Primarily because I can tell the difference between each type of dance music, and why people go for them. Hence when Djing, I seem to pull a big crowd.

Getting back to what is there apart from untz untz untz?. That is a difficult one to explain, in that there is bugger all I could say that would change your opinions. But to be honest, this thread does not intend to try and convert people from one music to another, just merely get them to show some respect. But to give you and example (taking Me, for instance). I grew up with very young parents, who listened to likes of Jean Michelle Jarre, and the whole idea of syntheizers and electronic sounds just clicked. I have spent years going from one end of the dance music universe to the other. But not every dance head that I've met is not as old skool as the Jean Michelle era. There are certain sounds and rhythms that a dance fan will hear that will just give them a sense of euphoria (don't get this confused with those terrible compilation CDs in circulation, lol). It's a great feeling, and can really make your night in a club. But only true dance fans (and there are lots of them), will know what I'm talking about. Personally listening to metal music makes me feel depressed, and can have drastic effects on my nights out, but that just how I perceive it. Taking for example most of the music is based around morbid things like Death, Destruction, and Bodily Harm etc. While dance on the other hand, can take people in to happy happy land(tm) Phobos 2002. ;)

As for what yellum said, I agree that these boards are primarily viewed by metal fans. This is one of my main motives for posting here.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I listen to whatever the hell I like, personnally I don't give a damn what people think of my taste in music, and I don't really care what other people listen to. Right now I live with 5 people who listen chart music, dance.... music completely different to my own taste, but hey we don't ram each others taste in music down each others throats.

Greenhell and lampsie, I award both of you 100 points for hitting the nail on the head.
    I guess I'm just trying to say that while you may not like a particular genre of music, that does not make it crap. It just means its not for you.

Well said ;)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

there is good and bad everything, metal is a good type of music (rage against the machine, mettalica etc, and the oldies like megadeth) and there is the sh*te like korn and slipknot, craddle of filth and what not. It is just commercial drivel targeting the people who listen to it to be cool. people from the age of 8 can be seen with hoodies with metal bands names on them. And all the young metalers, all look the same and not know anything about the music they claim to love. Now i love music especially metal, but these new heavy metal bands are just crap.
    (no offence intended to anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

metallica are oldies too, even older than megadeth ! Useless info I know but I'm feeling very petty today.

Lads the last two posts before this are going off topic. Bring your punk rock, jackass generation digs to another thread. But then again, I could use this to clarify a previous point.

People on the dance side of the fence, often look at the likes of slipknot, blink182, Korn, etc..., and call it all metal. I know it's not (before you rant on and on), but it goes to show how little I know about your music. The same has been done by the metal heads, who can't tell the difference between the more commercial dance, and the stuff that I slap on the decks nearly every day. Ja see!

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by phobos
    Greenhell and lampsie, I award both of you 100 points for hitting the nail on the head.

Well said ;)

What they said, everybody already knows. And deep down, everyone agrees. But this is a discussion board! It's fun to debate which genre is better, even though there is no answer to it. If we all just gave each other a wide berth and didnt debate it, this board would be a ghost town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

If dance music is not just "untz untz untz" then how come every boy racer that drives past my in his ohh so cool** honda civic, the only thing i hear is untz untz untz?

**sarcasm

sarcasm device ® and © evil incorp. Used with permision of the surpreme overlord wwm, for the purposes of causing amp untold distress.

sig stolen from Boston.

Originally posted by PiE

What they said, everybody already knows. And deep down, everyone agrees. But this is a discussion board! It's fun to debate which genre is better, even though there is no answer to it.

So @ last we have come to a proper conclusion.

PiE you can carry this thread on yourself if you want, I am quite happy that people have admit to some stuff, even though it has taken all afternooon. I didn't start it off to argue why I like the music I do, and the stuff I don't. That's just a matter of preference, and people have their reasons, there is no debait there. Because if you were were to argue, you are just trying to lecture people in to thinking that there music is crap, and that they should be more like you. So eh?, are you prepaired to do that?, I know I'm not!

Good luck with that ;)

;-phobos-)
    PS: Chernobyl, boy racers are just looking for attention, and dance music has got a consistent bassline worth of attention.

The same has been done by the metal heads, who can't tell the difference between the more commercial dance, and the stuff that I slap on the decks nearly every day. Ja see!

I'm pretty sure I could tell the difference.

I listen to a good bit of industrial also, and to be honest, thats far far closer to dance music than it is to Metal.
    Stuff like Nine Inch Nails, Die Krupps, The Kovenant, Switchblade Symphony, Mortiis, Rammstein, Sulpher, Mesh, KMFDM...
    I'm pretty sure, to an average Metal fan would probably think a lot of that is dance.

So I can definetly see the comparison.

I do know from experience, some friends, and some London Clubs :) that it isn't all Untz Untz Untz, all the time.

A song I really liked when it came out was I, Monster - Daydream In Blue.
    Thought that was a VERY good song.
    Not that I rushed out and bought the single, but it was great when it was on TV, I'd always sit and watch the video. Got it on mp3 too...

But I do understand what you're saying phobos.

Originally posted by PiE

What they said, everybody already knows. And deep down, everyone agrees. But this is a discussion board! It's fun to debate which genre is better, even though there is no answer to it. If we all just gave each other a wide berth and didnt debate it, this board would be a ghost town.

Phobos: "So @ last we have come to a proper conclusion."

Isn't this what I said on the very first reply to this thread? Or does everyone have me on ignore?

Angelwhore, I thought I would never see the day that I would get through to someone like you (no offence, I'm glad you see what I mean). But I class you as pretty much the opposite to me in music tastes.

;-phobos-)

Angelwhore, I thought I would never see the day that I would get through to someone like you (no offence, I'm glad you see what I mean). But I class you as pretty much the opposite to me in music tastes.

;-phobos-)

It's not that anyone's gotten through to me, I've been listening to stuff like that since I began clubbing in Dublin. I think it's just that people dont give me credit. "Whu? Stupid metal head!" and suchlike comments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Welp... I was at a dance club last night and went in with my Pantera t-shirt. And for some strange reason all those ****in dance fags were goin round sayin the music was ****e. Fair enough I said. And then asked them what songs they'd heard from what bands. They had absolutely no clue and the guilt could be seen on their faces. They had never heard the music before in their lives they then confessed. I said that dance music was ****e too.

Now who had the better case there? Answer that for me please.

I have never called anyone a stupid metal head. Actually most of my friends listen to metal, but they also make an effort to come hear me play now and again.

But on the previous page you listed a load of groups, and labelled their output as dance orientated. But TBH I have never heard of any of them. I am talking about people like Chab, Dj Nukem, Chris Cargo, Timo Maas, and more importantly which record label they have been signed to. The list goes on, but ATM I'm spinning tribal house, and a small bit of hard house (the good hard house, don't anybody think of the Euphoria tripe), coz the tribal stuff is not as mainstream in the clubs yet.

But basically what I am trying to promote here is a person who listens to one thing, while maintaining respect for the other, and the people who listen to it.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Phobos, any gigs coming up soon? Sounds like you play the sort of stuff I'm into :)

I have never called anyone a stupid metal head. Actually most of my friends listen to metal, but they also make an effort to come hear me play now and again.

But on the previous page you listed a load of groups, and labelled their output as dance orientated. But TBH I have never heard of any of them. I am talking about people like Chab, Dj Nukem, Chris Cargo, Timo Maas, and more importantly which record label they have been signed to. The list goes on, but ATM I'm spinning tribal house, and a small bit of hard house (the good hard house, don't anybody think of the Euphoria tripe), coz the tribal stuff is not as mainstream in the clubs yet.

But basically what I am trying to promote here is a person who listens to one thing, while maintaining respect for the other, and the people who listen to it.

;-phobos-)

No no, you get me wrong... I never said you say anything like that, but thats generaly a lot of peoples attitudes. Get my meaning?

Call over the house sometime, I'll show you some of the stuff I'm on about, Mmmkay?

Now who had the better case there? Answer that for me please.

No I agree that they were in the wrong, probably scumbagz, not worthy of your attention. But still you should make an effort to respect what they're in to. I know in your case it was different, they started slagging you off, and I would probably have reacted the same way. But what I'm trying to do here, is make people realise that it's all music, however bad you think it is, somebody somewhere does like it, even if you don't. So don't knock it, and show some respect.

But getting back to my friends. Most of my them in college are metal headz, and we have complete respect for eachothers tastes. Christ do you honestly think that if I didn't have some consideration for other people's tastes, I would have Djed a metal gig last weekend. It went down a storm, considering I was playing, and I was also the only person in the club who liked dance music. But it was a metal night, and that's what I was going to play.

Actually just as a matter of interest, consider the following, and tell me what would you do?

You are out in a pub some night with your mates, and a new member joins your group through one of your friends. He/She apprears to be sound, and you end up talking to them. They mention that they are later going to a dance event in Temple Theatre or RedBox (for example). Would you:
    1. Cease talking to them
    2. Tell them that their music is crap, and that it's just untz untz untz
    3. Or would you have no problems and chat to them in the future

The reason I ask is because, I find anwsers A, B to be more common. Which is very SAD, and shows a major problem with today's social interaction.

;-phobos-)
    ;-phobos-)

You are out in a pub some night with your mates, and a new member joins your group through one of your friends. He/She apprears to be sound, and you end up talking to them. They mention that they are later going to a dance event in Temple Theatre or RedBox (for example). Would you:
    1. Cease talking to them
    2. Tell them that their music is crap, and that it's just untz untz untz
    3. Or would you have no problems and chat to them in the future

I'd say A...

Oh, ****, what am I doing talking to you? Thanks!
    RIGHT! Next Galway Pissup, I'm giving you the cold shoulder! :p

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

But still you should make an effort to respect what they're in to. I know in your case it was different, they started slagging you off, and I would probably have reacted the same way. But what I'm trying to do here, is make people realise that it's all music, however bad you think it is, somebody somewhere does like it, even if you don't. So don't knock it, and show some respect.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I respect the music I'm just the type of person to take the piss outta them.

And I'd do C, split up into groups and probably talk to them in the future. I'd also take the piss outta them aswell... just to make them feel at home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

If you listen to any one type of music exclusively I'm not sure that's a good thing. I listen to all sorts of stuff including jazz, blues, indie, country, 60s pop, hip-hop, dance, electro, soul and folk...

"All those are just labels
    We know that music is music"

HOORAY FOR MUSIC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Tbh I didn't even see your first post in the thread AW :]

• Advertisement
Advertisement