Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free .tk domain addresses

Options
  • 17-02-2002 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭

Tokelau are giving away free domain addresses at www.dot.tk
    You get web and mail redirection.
    Get'em now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Cool. having a look now.....Let you all know how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

just got 2 addys. great service. will upgrade to paid account when i clear my credit card. cheers for the link!

www.smak.tk and email too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Your current web address
    It seems that the URL you provided does not exist or is by itself already a redirected URL, which cannot be redirected again by Dot TK. Please choose another URL.

Lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by PiE
    Your current web address
    It seems that the URL you provided does not exist or is by itself already a redirected URL, which cannot be redirected again by Dot TK. Please choose another URL.

Lies.

Works for me.
    http://www.ocieforums.tk/ registered a couple of days ago.
    Don't give out again about posting the link im just using it as a demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

will everyone resist: esat.tk, eircom.tk, eircon.tk, errorcom.tk, bt.tk to name but a few ?

(thinking of my ph bill while searching :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Woohoo - something for free after so long! Thanks for the tip off PPC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

cool! i got http://www.TallaghtKarting.tk and look the .tk its TALLAGHT KARTING :D mwuwhahwhah ain't it cool, it was made for me. :) just hope they don't yank it back. Brillance.

they not workin already?! none of them are at this time. geyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

They will yank them eventually, they *have* to. It's not a great business model otherwise. They will let you get attached to your new domain name. You will work on a nice search engine ranking, maybe print it on some leaflets for ads etc. and use it to generally promote your web site. Then one fine day, they'll come along and say, "actually we want it back now if you don't mind" and charge you to keep it. Notice that they will pull it if you are not getting so many hits/month.

It's grand if you don't get too attached to it, or it'll break your heart:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Like all good things...they must end.

The pop-ups have started...
    http://www.stonetemplepilots.tk :eek: :eek:

[80p awaits "Digging up old threads" card to be played :p]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

tumbleweed.jpg

:D

ahh but there not yet evil about if, they even sent an e-mail about it and you can get rid of the banner, yes?
    Today I took the (one-time) initiative and
    already enabled a banner for you. If you
    don't like a banner on your website, then
    you can disable it ofcourse! To disable
    the banner, go to My Dot TK and click on
    Dot TK Linker Promo.

Haven't tried to get rid of it yet, so presuming it works :)

Malo ni Alo...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Originally posted by smak
    just got 2 addys. great service. will upgrade to paid account when i clear my credit card. cheers for the link!

www.smak.tk and email too!!

you must include the file name also. EG. www.xp-users.com/INDEX.HTML

eh?

I just went to the marketing tab and checked don't want to display a banner pop up or frame, and that i understand that i won't be elegible for site review and the oportunity to win a dot.tk t-shirt, gosh darn it. Seems to be gone now on mine. TallaghtKarting.tk.

So settle petal.

oops i quoted the wrong person lol. it was the lad that said: "Your current web address

Lies."

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    oops i quoted the wrong person lol. it was the lad that said: "Your current web address

Lies."

why don't ya just provide the original address then?? ya gonna end up in the same place anyhew.

well i dunno, I tried entering www.xp-users.com/donal/ . It wouldn't work, so i entered www.xp-users.com/donal/afilename.html

worked then. A bit strange i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just a quick note...
    If you don't get enough hits on your .tk domain they will delete it, or ask you to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can you change where the address forwards after you sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Fair enough, you're getting a free domain name, that's easy to remember and all that. But nobody mentioned the bloody popup window that launches after site is displayed. Popups really annoy me, and make sites look cheap.

Also with all the other things like
    - You must have a high hit count
    - You never actually own the domain (fair enough, if you didn't pay for it)

I don't know if it's one of the better web services I've seen :(

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

According to the site itself you have to have more than 30 hits or something which is fair enough.

What i was asking was if you can signup then edit where you want your .tk address to go to afterwards.

Any help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by pcirl.com
    According to the site itself you have to have more than 30 hits or something which is fair enough.

What i was asking was if you can signup then edit where you want your .tk address to go to afterwards.

Any help
    As far as I know you can update it....
    In any case it's a freebie, so it doesn't really matter.

First of all its free. And like i said already Phobos you can turn off the ad from their options. Ya you can update where the addresses forwards to no problem. Did it myself twice. Tis damn good service and nice short addie for nothing. And nearly all sites would get 30hits easy. I haven't gone near mine in a few months and i doubt much other people have either (don't have a clock on it) but its still there working. :S

i bet that after a month or 2 they will take our address and make us pay no matter what, there is no contract or agreement.

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    i bet that after a month or 2 they will take our address and make us pay no matter what, there is no contract or agreement.

well i've had it since Jan... but like someone said in the very begingin you'll be okay even if they do yank them aslong as ya don't print business cards or promote the addy directly, tis just a handy alternative for some folks. If ya take it at that you can't go far wrong, and when lookin at it like it is, its is great vallu. :D

Advertisement