Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch

• 07-01-2001 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Lads.

I'm buying a switch, 8 or 16 port im not sure.

Just wondering does anyone have any advice about what I should buy in terms of price/proformance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

just thought i'd bump this for ya, since i'm such a kind soul, andy. smile.gif

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

May I recommend:

www.scan.co.uk

Check out "Hardware" and then "Networking".

£75 sterling will get you a 10/100 switched hub, 8 way, plus 1 uplink. I have the version of this without the uplink port, and it rocks. You'd never think something so small could do what it does. It allows you to connect at 10 or 100 (2 of my machines only have 10meg cards), and because it's switched, you can leech from one machine to another like mad, and not affect your pings to another PC that you're playing Quake on.

I have a 2nd one of these hubs in a box, brand new, with a six volt power supply. I'll pay post, and it will only cost you 80 bills. For an extra tenner, I'll chuck in all the patch leads you'll need. (all of the same qualitiy as the cross over I gave you at ShadowLAN smile.gif ).

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Jaden, SOLD!

I'll mail you about the details but you got yourself a deal fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

me got a 24 port 10/100 hub 3com superstack 2
    and is a very good one . nop i dident pay the full price for it . .... and i c its used in most good high spec networks

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

As you should know from your networks... smile.gif

go for a 10/100mb one obviously enough. Don't bother get an intelligent hub, tis a waste of money on a lan that size.
    www.insight.com/uk are a good place to go shopping. 100mb hubs are expensive though.. !

I'm gettin one in a week or 2, i'm just gnna get a 10mb one. around 50 quid as a pose to 200 or so.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Dum de dum. You still interested Andy? Mail is intermittent these days.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

hmm elexes, that appears to be a hub you have there, not a switch. Do you know the difference?

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 18-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Check your mail...

Advertisement