Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat belt?

• 17-02-2002 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Do you wear yours? Be honest.

Polls own me btw :p

Do you wear your seatbelt? 73 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 73 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Of course, front and back... what kind of an idiot wouldn't???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I don't even think about it. I just put it on whenever I get into a car. I don't notice I am wearing it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭BlackMagic

i do , but i never notice myself doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a few years ago i didn't but since i received a small matter of a £25 fine for not wearing one i have started (front and back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I never used to but when I started driving I started putting on the seat belt, now whenever I get into the driver's seat I instinctively put it on before starting the car, I still forget or don't bother sometimes if I'm sitting in the passenger side or back seat, don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I have to admit up to about 2 or 3 years ago, I wouldn't have bothered. But now it's second nature to put it on.

Actually I insist that everyone in the car puts it on, otherwise they can get the fuk out.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

When I was younger I used to be fined for not putting it on by my dad, so now I instinctively put it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

I can't stand not waering one, it feels like something is missing when i don't have it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Nearly always in the front but never really in the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Digi_Tilmitt
    I can't stand not waering one, it feels like something is missing when i don't have it on.

Exactly, something just not right. A few years so I wouldn't bother belting up in the back, (I'll be thrown into the seat, it's soft, I'll be grand!) but now I do anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I always wear seatbelts in the front and back,
    I started to learn on putting them on in the back from that ad on TV when yer man kills the people without the seat belt, and since one or two of my mates aren't insured, I deffo can't take any risks if something happens

And another thing, insurance companys won't cover you if your passanger aren't wearing belts,
    If you crash, and they claim... it'll be comming outa your own pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about taxis though? Half of them don't have working seat belts in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I always do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yes!
    Except for a few years ago when there were a lot of cars without rear seatbelts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

My ex-girlfriend died as a result of not wearing her seat-belt.

I always wear it. It's second nature now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Always wear a seat belt, but the people who dont wear them haven't voted !

Love to know there view, of why they dont need to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

you'd be mad not to!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Up until recently I never, ever wore my seat-belt.
    However, for two reasons I have started to wear my seat-belt (most of the time, although I sometimes forget, 12 year habit).

Reason number one:
    A young cousin of mine was killed in a car accident not so long ago, he was a front seat passenger, he went through the windscreen.
    If he had been wearing his seat-belt he would be alive today.

Reason number two:
    I am getting increasingly more careful driving. This has a lot to do with age, I have come to realise that I am not the best driver around and I am not indestructable (I was never the boy racer type, I always thought that such behaviour was stupid, but, I would drive fairly fast).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i always put it on front and back and ask whoever is in the car with me to put it on aswell.

none of this "today smaks friend kills everyone in the car and gives smak permanent brain damage"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ditto.
    i cant actually drive my car if im not wearing one.

besides, ive been in two serious accidents and both times it has saved me from being flung through the front windscreen at horrendous speeds.
    although some would say that that was a pity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Victor
    What about taxis though? Half of them don't have working seat belts in the back.

taxi drivers arent required by law to wear one.
    strange one that, but there you go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Anyone who drives a bus, taxi or other public service vechicle is not required by law to wear a seat belt.

I always wear mine. Its better to be saft than to be in hospital undergoing an emergency face reconstruction.

Some idiots never wear theirs.

One time, while getting a lift from someone who didn't wear a belt, we were passing through a town where the local gardaí had a reputation for strictness. He put on his seat belt going into town, and as soon as were a few miles past he actually took it off. Now that is stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

they aren't required to wear one when they're in a 30 mile speed zone. Outside that they are.
    I find no problem with that at all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There is a Motors sction you know....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yes always, never did'nt even when I was too small to realy be in the front (ahem!).

In fact without a belt I feel quite naked, so much so that I can't
    drive or be driven.

What still amazes me is that so many don't belt up, and whats more they'll give you some cock and bull about how its safer to
    not be strapped in as you might get caught in the cross belt and strangle yourself or somesuch! About 8 years ago I had a crash where I did a roll-over and ended up in a field unhurt, it was the belt that meant I walked away.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    He put on his seat belt going into town, and as soon as were a few miles past he actually took it off. Now that is stupidity.

what a complete and total tit.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No no no, you think that's something?

I was in a car with this lad who had his belt off and when he saw a few garda in the middle of the road he put it on and when he was past the garda he took it off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭daftbegger

My Honda super four has no provision for a belt, but if they make rollcages for bikes I will be first in line..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A friend of mine had an old car that had no seat-belt mountings so he didn't actually have to wear a belt. You don't actually have to fit belts if your car doesn't have them factory fitted. (unless the law has changed recently)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

I always wear mine and ask everyone in the car to put one on

My oul fella doesn't believe in them and used to his put his on when approaching a Garda checkpoint etc :rolleyes:
    (he does wears his now - more for the reason of not being fined though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I wear them but I find they very often irritate me. I think it has something to do with the way they go across my body it just doesn't feel right I sometimes move the belt under my arm because the feel of it can really bug me.

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Doc
    I wear them but I find they very often irritate me. I think it has something to do with the way they go across my body it just doesn't feel right I sometimes move the belt under my arm because the feel of it can really bug me.
    Well just stupid, if you crash while the belt is under your arm your head will be flung foward causing cranial and spinal injuries. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I do a lot of walking and cant stand the amout of people who, speed , dont use indicators and take chances in red light situations - I dont trust other drivers, hell I'd wear 2 seatbelts if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is a 4 point belt (i think rally drivers use them - they would support both shoulders) better than a 3 point? I was in a accident (30 mph into the side of a MG) as a back seat passenger and the injuries I received were whiplash-type due to spinning as I was (partly) thrown forward.

If I didn't have the belt the taxi driver would have been killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

If some junkie scum were to pull a syringe on a taxi driver he's effectively tied up.

I always however wear one, I feel unsafe without one, and that back seat argument is just complete bolloxology

Advertisement