Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Les pauls

Options
  • 17-02-2002 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

This maybe the wrong category for this but anyway.
    Does anyone know what makes of les pauls i can get for under 400 euro. I have searched long and hard and all i can find is epihphone and richwood. ARe richwood good?

Live long and prosper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Well you won't get a real "Les Paul" for that price because AFAIK the brand is owned by Gibson outright. Actually maybe they don't, but basically a "real" Les Paul is a Gibson one. You might find a used Gibson one for around €600-700, but you might end up splashing for new pickups, etc., if it's been bastardised.

Basically you're out of luck because they start at something obscene like £1200 or so for the Studio black ones. Looks like I'm out of luck too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

you'll be pretty fine with an epiphone really... a thing you should also check out is a yamaha pacifica. they're les paul clones and they give you good enough value for your money as long as you don't expect to play slane with them...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Pacifica arent Les paul clones are they?? Pacificas are like a mutant Strat if anything, unless they changed what they looked like since i last saw em a couple of months ago, But they are crackin' Guitars for the price, but id go with a an Epi or a nice Aria Pro II

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

If you search long and hard you may find a cheap second hand Les Paul but they are very hit and miss. You may get a gem or you may get a dud.

This is true for the low end Les Pauls (The Studio model) but if you save your coppers and get a Les Paul Standard (and you will be saving a long time) you will get yourself a great guitar that you will never need to replace.

All boils down to how much you want to spend.

the pacifica 112 is a great les paul clone if i've ever seen one... but it's true about the quality, in the long run you're probably better and more economically off if you take out a loan and get a les paul standard. in my experience getting the real article always pays off, certianly if i compare my fender tele to other people's squires...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Put it this way.

The lowest price i got quoted in Ireland for a Les Paul Classic Vintage Burst (puddle of mud lead singer in that CONTROL video has one) was 2600 euro

I ended up getting it on the net for 2000 euro.

Shop around on the net it might be worth your while.

Try
    www.music123.com www.regentguitars.co.uk

Music 123 are in the states so expect to pay at least $100 shipping and be prepared to be plastered with tax and duty (thank you Mr. McPeevey) of about 30% when it comes in here. Unless you have someone in America who is coming over here and is willing to lie to customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Vintage Les Pauls tend to be the best Replicas for their price, but otherwise just get an Epiphone.

The only differece between the Gibsons and the Epiphones is the Epiphones aren't Handmade, aren't Handpainted, and they use a cheaper materials.

Look at these 2 Les Pauls, one is a Gibson, the other is the same, cut down epiphone model.

Gibson
    Full.jpg

Epiphone
    518568.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

Hmm, the Snakepit Les Paul. Odd picture to see.

Odd? why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well for that price the best you gonna get is an epiphone les paul or special. I do remember playing an Encore les paul with Dimarzio zebra pickups with sounded nice and it cost only £250
    Oh and a yamaha pacifica 112 is definatly a strat copy with a humbucker in the bridge and only one tone and one volume knob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If I find the fecker that broke into my house and nabbed my burgundy Standard Les Paul by Gibson I will personally rip out their backbone.

Originally posted by Gordon
    If I find the fecker that broke into my house and nabbed my burgundy Standard Les Paul by Gibson I will personally rip out their backbone.

Christ! Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Unfortunately... i wouldn't want someones backbone disboned if I didn't mean it!

gee... are you sure that ripping out his backbone is enough? i'm getting paranoid about my telecaster now... :( but then who'd want a nashville tele with a seymour duncan duckbucker in the neck position? too much of a weirdo guitar to be of interest to burglars, hopefully... *has finger's crossed* y'know the really dpressing thing about people stealing guitars and cds and stuff? when they sell them they probably get about 20 euro for them! that sucks SO much! :mad: here's hoping you find your les paul in some jumble sale for 10 euro and cannot only buy it back but also cut the guy's balls off! about the pacifica: you sure? what the **** am i confusing it with? about getting guitars from the internet - i don't think it works well unless you're in the us, according to my experience with rickenbackers anyhow. first they impose about six million restrictions on you about payment and stuff cos you're in europe and then they sell them off to someone else who happens to be in the us anyway... :( don't think i'll ever get a rick at this stage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

thanks for the advice guys, i am still undecided though

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

If you want a good selection of Yamaha guitars
    go to Dan Fay distributors, Yamaha Shop on Augier Street(continuation of Georges Street near Americn Holidays)
    They come in all shape and sizes from strat and tele copies to nice looking les Paul shaped models.

They have a really great Sale on in June its 20% off everything!
    I have a Pacifica 112x myself, Its much better than a squire but not as good as fender mexicans.
    Great value for money for a first electric.

Advertisement