Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD drive - plays CDs but not DVDs

• 18-01-2001 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

I got a Pioneer 105 DVD drive off OcUK about 2 months ago. They sold it as region-free, and when my brother came home from London with loads of DVDs, I decided to try and play them. Everything worked fine, both region 1 and region 2 played.

Then something happened, and I'm not quite sure what. I was messing around with different software players, different region DVDs, and also DVDGenie (as I wasn't aware at the time that I didn't need to use this). The result is now my drive reads CDs fine, only sometimes reads data DVDs, and locks up the machine when I try to watch a movie of any kind.

I don't know how to even go about fixing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

As long as you didnt update the firmware on the drive, it should be ok. Remove dvd genie or set it back to default settings or something. I think the problem lies with the dma settings for your drive, dvd players will usually enable it, and it can cause problems on the via boards. Get the latest 4-in-1 drivers for your motherboard here:

http://www.viahardware.com/download/4in1425(1)a.zip

when you have them installed, try switching dma for the dvd drive on or off and see if its any better.
    probably told ya all that before, so if that doesnt help, try and get the drive repaired/replaced.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 18-01-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

also make sure that if you have a kt7-raid motherboard that you are not using 4in1 drivers from v4.26 on words as the bus master driver fups mine up with the raid channel

if you do have a kt7-raid the 4in1 v4.25a are the best for me, so you should try them

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Installing a number of different DVD software players can cause problematic conflicts. I'd suggest uninstalling them all, unregistering any dll's it asks about along the way and then re-installing only one of them. I've had to do this on occasion myself.

DVD Genie, while being useless in your situation, shouldn't be having any effect.

bard2.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

The DMA doesn't seem to make a difference, and I already have the 4.25a drivers installed. I'll try uninstalling/unregistering all the players like Bard says.

I'm also going to bring in over to a friends house and stick it in his machine, see if it's the hardware or just my setup.

Anyway, thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

4.27 are the latest via drivers by the way.

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

My DVD is an old Toshiba SD-M1202, and i never tried the DVD capabilities before last week when i got icewind dale on DVD.Guess what, it doesnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazz:
    I'll try uninstalling/unregistering all the players like Bard says.
    </font>

(and reinstalling one of them again, I presume)

Good stuff, Jazz- let us know if it works ok. Personally, I'd recommend CyberLink PowerDVD.

Cheers,

bard2.gif

Advertisement