Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interviews

• 18-02-2002 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

going for a interview for a new internal job, wondering if anyone can help, with, what to say, and can anyone offer any tips please.

Thanks............

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

How many interviews have you done already IR?

Look good - dress well
    I have always found being myself and talking straight (no bullsh*t) always works for me
    I talk about what I know and I sound like I know it.
    if I'm not sure about something I say so but I point out how many jobs I have had and the fact I have had no problem picking stuff up, a quick learner (they know you're honest when you admit something like that!)
    no interviewer expects you to know everything, all they want to know is that you have a fair idea and you have half a brain!
    good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In my experience:
    • Dress well.
    • Know a good bit about the position you're applying for and why you think you're suited to the job
    • When asked a question try to show you're knowledge (I think its better if you stop when asked a new question rather than having silences).
    • Try to show you're strengths.
    • On a lighter note, don't go on the beer the day beforehand.

Oh, and good luck! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

On a lighter note, don't go on the beer the day beforehand.

would you believe the last job I was in, one of the guys who did an interview at the same time as me got the job 'cos he stunk of beer! (he was at a wedding the day before) they knew he would fit in with the rest of us! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I have had loads of interviews, but this is for my G/F, she has one tomorrow, just looking for pointers.

Thanks lads for the info, every bit helps.

Keep it coming!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

<Off Topic>
    On the beer issue:
    A friend of mine got called up for his Garda interview during NUI,G Rag Week a few years ago. He was on the beer all day the previos day and got home at about 4 am the night before. Before the interview he spent about an hour in the shower, took every hangover remidy he could find and used a load of aftershave and deoderant. He got called back.
    </off Topic>

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Kep good eye contact,
    When you go in for the interview, and the chair you're supposed to sit on, sit on it, don't move it closer to the table or away from the table, interviewer might notice this.. and it makes you out to an insecure person in their enviriment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get to think out was is expected of you, like your (past) time keeping, diligence, work ethic, helpfulness and so on and then what is expected of the the job (skill, experience, people skills, authoritiveness, discipline).

Try some role-playing. What would your boss (or the boss' boss expect). What will they ask?

Also, know what you want in the 'package'. Aim high, but don't price yourself out of the job. Leave some space space for negotiation, e.g.
    Boss: Have you considered what remuneration you would like.

Employee: Yes, briefly. I was considering somewhere in the region of €36,000 plus performance bonus, plus .... car, extra holidays, (tax-free) bus pass, etc. (know what you want)

Boss: Well thats a little more that we considered. We were considering €32,000 plus the fringe benefits.

Employee: Perhaps, but having 5 years experience and 3 successful years with the company .... (sell yourself) and given that the market rate is in and around €35,000, I couldn't settle for less, it would be unfair on me and unfair on the company.

Don't give too much (potential sign of weakness), but don't be so firm as to price yourself out of the job or come across as unwilling to trade (comes across as unnecessarily argumentative / inflexible).

Advertisement