Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAppy Happy Joy Joy

Options
  • 18-02-2002 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Oh dear god just restrain yourselves from totally hopping on what i say for at least a day hehe

Well basically i was just thinking when i saw the slogan "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SCENE" and i was also thinking that support requires money, which is something i don't have alot of.

Now if say for instance i'm a person who really does'nt find the irish music scene such as the (phantom based bands) all that much i really wont want to be wasting my money away at some awful gig right? I mean i remeber being reccomened to go see some bands and leaving 20 minutes after they'd started just because i could'nt stand how bad they were, and then there are times where your're standng/sitting there thinking "yeah this was worth the time and effort that i made to come out and see these guys"

What i mean really isunless you have some adventurous rich visionary willing to indulge his muscial interests by opening some new venue and promoting bands reasonably and having the funds to really take the risk then i think that maybe this local scene will always be dominated by record deals and radio play and rejection of cynicism.

Ahh who cares you are free to rip whatever i said to shreads day day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

please nobody reply to this... this ridiculous arguement has been had waaay too many times here... am i wrong? i think not...

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SCENE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

The great thing about the time we live in is that you don't have to take anyones word about a band. Simply go to http://www.gigsmartireland.com and go to the bands page if the band your wondering about is doing gigsmart gigs, click on the relevant link and download an mp3. (or just go to the bands web page and do the same)

Generally (though not always) this following formula works:

Good MP3 = Good Band

What type of music rattles your chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

um music?

last irish song i liked was jaewan - rain
    and then NPB - popsong

but still i'm not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Ragamuffin - As that statement is in my signature I will indicate what I mean.

I do not mean go sit through bands you dont like - not at all - I have left half full pints and booked for the door because I couldn't bear anymore - OFTEN. So I dont mean blind support.

And I don't mean financal support exactly

All I mean is pay attention to it, follow it, and if there are some artists you like go out and see them. If there is NOTHING you like than forget about it.

Personally my support is primarily composed of drinking many pints and paying some minimal cover charges (both of which I can barely swing) I realize that as an individual I am not exactly fowarding the cause of music - If I had loads of money there are some artists I would happily support (including myself but I am a visual, not musical artist so that is off topic)

and yes the music world will probably always be dominated by THE EMPIRE but that dosen't mean that personally someone has to be constrained by what they choose to market at you. Rather go out and find music you like wherever and however you want.

I have found through "underground" music, artists that intrest me far more than what mass media is presenting, artists I respect. I enjoy live music and seeing a skillful artist or band give a great performance is a great thing.Nothing beats a standout show in a small club i/m/o. I have seen alot of really terrible bands in the process of persuing this interest, (i avoid seeing them again at all costs) but I have also seen some shows that were truly amazing. A packed little bar with a really involved crowd and a brilliant striving band is rare but it does happen and when it does it is great.

Also without a good local scene I dont really see the potential for great artists to rise up. Apathy will yield nothing. The more active a music scene is the more likely it will yeild somthing great.

take it as a suggestion not a command, maybe I should change the case.

Advertisement