Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skynet applies for telecoms license

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Ahhh, remember the days when people would jump with glee at posts like these. Too many promises not lived up to, broken hearts, "one post wonders" etc. By all means I suppose someone has to say "fair play to them" still, but they really haven't done anything, yet. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

The fact that they openly target the service at businesses shows they have calculated per-minute costs from eircom (not to be confused with eircom.net who are diligently paying the same as other ISPs - no, really!) relative to expected use and have worked out a competitive price (compared to ISDN) that businesses would be prepared to pay.

The trick is in the negotiation. Actually, the trick is in starting negotiations, and complaining to the ODTR as soon as Eircom start acting up. I wonder how long it will take...?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<anti skynet rant seriously contained... seriously>

I have had dealings with Lee O'Carroll, he seemed professional I'll give him that, I did have dealings with one of the managers in 'Talk n Surf' on Parnell street, a chick called <rant curtailed> who was a real waste of space, big time, not that that reflects on Lee, I realise there are people of utter incompetence and extreme lack of professionalism in every organisation, it's still a shock when you come across one.
    <The less said the better>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Typedef
    <anti skynet rant seriously contained... seriously>

<insert some nothing statement that explains nothing but gives some opinion, but opinion for the ranter had always been <0

I
    <The less said the better>

And all ppl reading have their views on the ppl mentioned over turned..oh yes, dont buy an Xbox either.....

To be lots more blunt.
    <without giving away the chicks name>

I ran into a manager in Parnell street of an internet cafe that is owned by skynet, and in my view having worked in Gateway and where I work now in all the thousands of people I have had contact with during my time in IT that manager a chick from South Africa was the most unprofessional waste of space I have ever encountered, her time was spent spouting a long litany of buzzwords "think out of the box" and such, but my god, the reason I had dealings with Lee O'Carroll was that I was thinking of litigating Skynet because of the totally unprofessional conduct of that lady.

<and I'll say>
    Now, Lee admitted that his subordinate had acted outside the constraints of what you, I and most people would consider kosher in business, or simple day to day dealings with people on a professional(or otherwise basis) and while I was calling for that manager's head on a spike, Lee rather tertly explained to me how he could not simply fire his manager for such things despite the transgression. I was not willing to litigate the matter but, sufficive to say this incident (along with the Gateway client who fitted a sound card into a system that was not just plugged in, but switched on and running windows no less) will stay with me for the rest of my life as examples of people's idocy and utter incompetence.
    <and I'd best not say anymore>

I don't doubt that skynet provide quality service X to the vast majority of customers and employees of theirs however if my experience of this company is anything to go by I wouldn't be holding my breath for broadband from these people, in fact I'd say there is more chance the tooth fairy would deliever, or possibly the man in the moon.
    / () \

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

I don't doubt that skynet provide quality service X to the vast majority of customers and employees of theirs however if my experience of this company is anything to go by I wouldn't be holding my breath for broadband from these people, in fact I'd say there is more chance the tooth fairy would deliever, or possibly the man in the moon.

I thought this was better news from a FRIACO perspective. They are talking about providing a flat-rate service. For them to do that, they would have to ask Eircom to provide a wholesale flat-rate product.

If Eircom do so, whoopy-do, we've got FRIACO.

If they say "No". skynet can refer to the ODTR who may (I think) tell Eircom they must provide it.

I imagine that once the comfy status quo has been broken you will see eircom and esat FRIACO products pretty quickly after that.

neverhappen has a point Typedef, skynet didn't say anything about broadband, they're talking about flat-rate, which is absolutely essential to Ireland. Even if skynet /do/ provide a crap service - and I'm not saying for a second that they will - if they go ahead with this, they stand a good chance of breaking the FRIACO deadlock. I don't care who breaks the deadlock, because as neverhappen suggests, once it's out of the bag, it can't go back in.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by chernobyl

And all ppl reading have their views on the ppl mentioned over turned..oh yes, dont buy an Xbox either.....

Why shouldn't we? I just reserved mine today...44th in line now. :p

Anyway, probably just another pie-in-the-sky suggestion - and it's business only so...*sigh* the search goes on?

• Advertisement

FYI, I had a very quick chat with John O'Hare today and he was unwilling to provide too much detail. It would appear that this is not "flat-rate" as we've come to understand it though, so I wouldn't go getting your hopes up boys and girls. He seems to be keen to talk to us though, so we're going to try and arrange a meeting. I'll keep you informed as best I can.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by NoelRock

Why shouldn't we? I just reserved mine today...44th in line now. :p

That punt was aimed @ Typedef, it was just the tail end of a biatchy reply.
    :)

I have mine reserved too but not happy about the €21 jump to €500, but what can i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by chernobyl

That punt was aimed @ Typedef, it was just the tail end of a biatchy reply.
    :)

I have mine reserved too but not happy about the €21 jump to €500, but what can i do.

Whoa. There was a jump? When? Why is nobody saying this xbox.com/eu says it's 479 still :P perhaps we should continue this convo in private, it's a *tad* off topic...

Perhaps if I say "Skynet" nobody will notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Wasnt skynet the evil organisation in Terminator 2?

Call me paranoid but its bad to call your company after an evil organisation of any kind...

(I wonder what movie eircom was the evil organisation in?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by rymus
    Wasnt skynet the evil organisation in Terminator 2?

Call me paranoid but its bad to call your company after an evil organisation of any kind...

Always thought the same wrt the comp soc in UL (go to www.skynet.ie - they've always called the network that for no real reason but then they're not a business)

skynet telecom are on www.sky-net.ie then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

neverhappen said:
    They are talking about providing a flat-rate service. For them to do that, they would have to ask Eircom to provide a wholesale flat-rate product.

If Eircom do so, whoopy-do, we've got FRIACO.

If they say "No". skynet can refer to the ODTR who may (I think) tell Eircom they must provide it.

Now there is a bit of reasoning that makes me happier than a lot I have seen on these boards in a good long time.

What prevents Esat from doing exactly the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

What prevents Esat from doing exactly the same thing?

Did someone from IOFFL not ask Esat the same question at the IOFFL forum aeons ago ?

Flat rate or no, I found my own experience of the company to be extremely disingenuous of their ability to live up to commitiments. If they provide flat rate good for them, myself having done business with them I am quite amazed they are still in business.

This is the crowd who run the Talk N Sutf internet cafes, these cafes are on the expensive side anyway so I do not find much evidence to suggest that one of the 'core principals' of this company is low cost internet access, especially as it would detract from the business that at least 4 if not 5 Talk N Sutf internet cafes do. Dont get me wrong I'm not trolling this company, but I have experience of broken promises and lots and lots and lots of talk backed up by the most unprofessional mode of conduct I have encounted since becoming an IT professional, people may not want to hear that but, in my experience those are the kind of qualities I would ascribe to this particular company, as I said with skynet in mind, don't hold your breath.

Much in the same way eircom don't want to offer adsl at a reasonable price (when compaired to the rest of the EU) as it would affect their profitable dialup business, I find two good reasons skynet would not really want to allow mass access to the internet unless it is on an extremely large scale, which also seems unlikely as skynet (I doubt) have sufficient capital to make such a large scale venture big enough to be profitable and to recope lost sales (however relatively small) from their internet cafe business. 1. Lost internet cafe sales, 2. Actually having to conduct busniess in a professional manner (which seem an anthema to Typedef's personal experience).

I thought this was better news from a FRIACO perspective. They are talking about providing a flat-rate service. For them to do that, they would have to ask Eircom to provide a wholesale flat-rate product.

I'm afraid this isn't the case, Skynet aren't talking about using the Eircom network. John O'Hare wouldn't go into more detail, and he hasn't returned Dave Long's calls yet to clarify.

adam

Advertisement